Let's talk about Pizza, man!!

Three for me:

- Mineo's for Sicilian pizza. Wonderful. Lots of sauce, toppings under the cheese when you order a whole pizza. I can only eat two slices at a sitting now.

- Primanti's, believe it or not (it's known as a sandwich place). Their pizza is great - thin crust, lots of toppings, more of a chunky sauce.

- Vincent's. Tons of toppings in the olds days. Enough grease to support a large battalion for several months. They were closed due to a legal dispute and recently reopened - we've gone once and it wasn't quite the same, but for now I'm chalking it up to everything being new. So the jury is still out.

It is hard to argue against Pizza King, but I can't rate them best until I have it again.

Big Kahuna from Ultimate California Pizza in Surfside Beach is the one I look most forward to.
I've had some really good pizza in Chicago, but it has been long enough since I've had it I can't make a specific recommendation.

I refuse to even listen to anybody's opinion about pizza that isn't from Chicago.:tongue::tongue:

I am partial to Lou Malnati's Butter Crust and Sausage patty , Genos East , Unos work also for Chicago Pizza sorry Sergio its got to have the sausage patty :) )
Thin is a Place called Ach and Lous in Aurora or Rossatis

I am partial to Lou Malnati's Butter Crust and Sausage patty , Genos East , Unos work also for Chicago Pizza sorry Sergio its got to have the sausage patty :) )
Thin is a Place called Ach and Lous in Aurora or Rossatis

Lou's is pretty darn good. Rossatis has some alright thin crust, but have you tried their Panzarotti?.. Amaze-balls! Pizza Capri is pretty bangin' for deep-dish, but my all time fave for thin in Chicagoland is Barnaby's.... I'll get one from the Northbrook location and it's practically gone before I get on 294.

After the last weigh in I want pizza. I'll have to review this thread for MD location if I'm not full on Ram's Head. :rock:

I'm with DirtyMoonRJT - I'm a pizza snob. I fully admit it and I am aware of it every time that I eat pizza. Are there support groups for that kind of thing? If so, I may need to find one, because I'm ruined to most garden variety pizzas. Maybe this is a good place to start:

Hi. My name is Damien and I am a pizza snob. It started eight years ago in the city of Split on the coast of Croatia. There was this little shop that made their own mozzarella and sauces, using fresh basil, garlic, and oregano out of their garden out back. I knew from that moment that I would never look at pizza the same. From that moment on, it has been a world-wide journey to find a pizza and in that 8 years, I've had slices of NY's finest and Chicago's offerings... but nothing would come close. Until this year...

Via Napoli... Via Napoli in the Epcot Center in Walt Disney World. I cried. It was beautiful. I ate my pizza and half of my wife's... You'd have thought I hadn't eaten in a year. If you ever have the opportunity... take it... go twice...

Since that is almost 1000 miles away, I've sated my pizza snobbery in making pizza at home, taking what my novice palette has learned from each experience and augmenting each technique into my own amalgamation. The result has been a 2 inch deep-dish, buttery crust with crispy pepperoni (think spicy bacon), and a secret blend of herbs and spices...

There is a place locally (Eau Claire, WI) that isn't bad - called Fired Up. Wood burning ovens. Personal fav: 5-cheese blend + bleu cheese, classic tomato sauce, pepperoni, prosciutto, basil ... Nom Nom.

Pizza King gets a nod as well. They're not the best pizza, but it's kind of like your first guitar.... you know that it wasn't amazing, but you have a found emotional connection that makes you smile. Pizza King's kind of like that.

I'm Damien and I'm a recovering pizza snob. Thanks for listening...

Via Napoli... Via Napoli in the Epcot Center in Walt Disney World. I cried. It was beautiful. I ate my pizza and half of my wife's... You'd have thought I hadn't eaten in a year. If you ever have the opportunity... take it... go twice...
Our family went to Disneyland a few weeks ago and I thought the food was pretty decent, especially for a theme park, but I never would have expected to hear someone shed tears over their pizza! If you're ever in Phoenix, try Pizzeria Bianco. From Wikipedia:

Pizzeria Bianco has been rated as the best pizza in the US by Bon Appétit,[SUP][15][/SUP] Vogue,[SUP][4][/SUP] and Rachel Ray,[SUP][16][/SUP] and has also been recognized by Martha Stewart,[SUP][2][/SUP] Oprah,[SUP][9][/SUP] GQ,[SUP][17][/SUP] Gourmet[SUP][11][/SUP] and was named to GAYOT.com's list of the Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in the U.S.[SUP][18][/SUP] Chef Chris Bianco won James Beard Foundation Best Chef: Southwest for 2003 (the only pizza chef to have won a regional award)[SUP][19][/SUP] and the restaurant received a nearly perfect Zagat score of 29 in 2000.[SUP][4][/SUP] Pizzeria Bianco was featured in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza.[SUP][10][/SUP]Andrew Zimmern has stated that the best pizza ever is from Pizzeria Bianco.[SUP][20][/SUP][SUP][21][/SUP]

After all the hype my wife and I went to try it one night. It was a Saturday and we got there at 7:00 pm. There was a 3 hour wait (they don't take reservations). Luckily the pizzeria is two blocks from where the Diamondbacks play and there was a game that night, so we went and bought $6 nosebleed seats and drank $9 beers and watched the baseball game while we waited. They encourage you to leave and call back to check on your table, and sure enough, three hours to the minute our table was ready.

It was good pizza. Not good enough that we've ever decided to wait 3 hours for it again, but it was very, very good. The crust, sauce and cheese are all made in house, and every topping individually tasted fantastic.

Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, Missouri. I can't drive down I-70 without getting a slice or 10.

Also, would almost go to Chicago just to get Giordano's.

Last edited:
For those around Frederick, Maryland, there was a place my wife and I used to go with the brick oven and all that, around the antique places...awesome pizza...it's been a while, but they definitely had great tasting pizzas, fresh ingredients...can't remember the name.

Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, Missouri. I can't drive down I-70 without getting a slice or 10.

Also, would almost go to Chicago just to get Giordano's.

Don't get me wrong, Shake's is good, but I gotta admit that it isn't the best pizza I have ever eaten. It's the uniqueness and ambiance (and beer) that makes it worth the time. We mix up the toppings, but we always go with the pepper-jack cheese, which is so smooth and really brings the pizza to life.

If you're just passing through CoMo, they have the west location that opened about ten years ago that is easier to get to and has less waiting.

Last edited:
Mountain View Italian Kitchen, http://www.mountainviewitaliankitchen.com/

When I lived in Blacksburg VA, this was the best pizza there was. Sure, you had to drive a very long way down a two lane road in the middle of nowhere. If you dined in, you sat on an outdoor picnic table, indoors, with polished concrete floors and bare white cinder block walls lit with bright fluorescent lighting. But it was really good.

Another incredible place in Chicago is "Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder" http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

It's tiny and cramped, the waitstaff is pretty unforgiving, and the place is always packed, but I've never had anything quite like it. The pizzas are cooked in little bowls and are fantastic! Try not to fill up on the flat bread.

Another displaced New Yorker and nothing is better than Umberto's in New Hyde Park (LI). They also make the best grilled chicken and broccoli rabe sub ever. Also, I may be in the minority but I'm not sure pizza is actually pizza without anchovies.

For any downstate NYers out there, here's another one...Simultaneously the best AND worst pizza in NY is from that little place inside Penn Station near the LIRR big board. It's the best because its open a 2 am after a good night in the city and the worst because it tastes like cardboard covered in grease and you always pay for it on the train ride home.

Been in MD for almost 15 years now and I'm still looking for a good pizza place.

I am quite boring with pizza being one of those pesky vegetarians!
Anything with pepper, sweetcorn and mushrooms has my vote!!!

Back