Let's talk about Paul Reed Smith, the man...

Umm... Yeah.... And people wonder why there's no Experience this year.... :flute:

Thanks Sergio. Reminds me of another scene from Beverly Hills Cop 2:

• " You outdone your welcome. But it's been real, it's been nice. Everybody, party's over! Sergio f*&ked it up for everybody, so let's just go home."
Yes, yes he does. He confiscated my JustSteve pass. I hear the poor kid is banned from the factory now.

I had no idea I was about to become known as an "accessory".

Anyway, I've met Paul a few times, not enough that I would think he 'knows' me (before the GTA Stevensville incident) , but one that stands out was when I took my son and my niece to a Master Class. I mentioned that my niece wouldn't play in front of family, only with her band, and asked if he could offer any advice to help with confidence or whatever. He gladly spoke with her privately, and I thanked him. BOOM! Done. That was awesome of him to take the time in a club filled with people wanting his attention.
An hour or more later Paul finds me and says "Where's your niece?" I told him, "That's ok, You already spoke with her." He said, "No. I want her to go on stage." I really didn't expect him to think any more of it 15 seconds after he spoke with her. He had probably spoken to almost 100 different people in between. He's a good guy.

Last edited:
Paul is a true artist, as far as I'm concerned.

And don't forget a smart manager. While a lot of companies can make great expensive guitars (OK, maybe not a lot), pulling off things like the SE and S2 lines takes a bunch of smart people.

I forgot to mention in my first reply that I concur on all accounts.
Got to meet mr. paul and howard leese at a clinic a few years ago.
They signed control covers and posed for pictures with my wife and I.
Very down to earth considering thier status.
All part of lending to the pride of ownership with prs instruments...
And the fact that he's always looking for improvement.

Haha, I figured the thread title might catch a few off guard... That other thread was ridiculous.

Paul is a true artist, as far as I'm concerned.

He cares very deeply about his guitars and customers, and I know this from first-hand experience.

Awhile back I was playing a PRS at GC one of the staff told me Paul was going to hold a meet and greet deal that very same night.

I went back and told him what kind of music I played, so he grabbed one of his guitars and amp and told me to sit in the chair next to him and he patently showed me what a PRS could do....Damn he cranked that baby up.....lol

He then held his meeting and went through his story about the PRS and treated everyone very kindly........

Good man+ great guitar= Happy Ass Camper!!!!!

Thanks Sergio. Reminds me of another scene from Beverly Hills Cop 2:

• " You outdone your welcome. But it's been real, it's been nice. Everybody, party's over! Sergio f*&ked it up for everybody, so let's just go home."

I had no idea I was about to become known as an "accessory".

Anyway, I've met Paul a few times, not enough that I would think he 'knows' me (before the GTA Stevensville incident) , but one that stands out was when I took my son and my niece to a Master Class. I mentioned that my niece wouldn't play in front of family, only with her band, and asked if he could offer any advice to help with confidence or whatever. He gladly spoke with her privately, and I thanked him. BOOM! Done. That was awesome of him to take the time in a club filled with people wanting his attention.
An hour or more later Paul finds me and says "Where's your niece?" I told him, "That's ok, You already spoke with her." He said, "No. I want her to go on stage." I really didn't expect him to think any more of it 15 seconds after he spoke with her. He had probably spoken to almost 100 different people in between. He's a good guy.

Super Awesome........Great story!

I've said this before, but what really sums up Paul to me is the enthusiasm he still clearly has for all this stuff. You can hear the excitement rise in his voice as he talks about guitars and music.

One of my favorite things to watch at Experience is Paul's reaction to the guys playing on stage. Like this:

FRI_0172.jpg

I wish I had video of one of the years Jim McCarty was there. Paul was sitting at the back of the stage watching him with his mouth just hanging open. As McCarty's solo built, you could see the effect it was having - Paul's leg started bouncing. Then his hand was tapping his leg. Then it was pretty much pounding his leg, and the next thing you know, he's jumping up with his fists in the air, like a little kid who just found out he's finally getting the puppy he's wanted for five years.

That, and something similar to JustRob's story - at one of the events at Experience, he was giving away something. Some kid in the front row took a shot at every question until he got one, and Paul said, "Look, I want to say something here. You wanted to get this, and you wouldn't stop until you got it, no matter how many times you didn't get it. If you can keep that attitude, whatever you do in life, you're going to be so successful. Keep that attitude."

Two years later, that kid tried to steal his car at Experience... :vroam:(not really)

Awhile back I was playing a PRS at GC one of the staff told me Paul was going to hold a meet and greet deal that very same night.

I went back and told him what kind of music I played, so he grabbed one of his guitars and amp and told me to sit in the chair next to him and he patently showed me what a PRS could do....Damn he cranked that baby up.....lol

He then held his meeting and went through his story about the PRS and treated everyone very kindly........

Good man+ great guitar= Happy Ass Camper!!!!!

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. He isn't about the customer because you're "supposed to" be about the customer. He didn't grab some assistant and say, "Tell this guy about our guitars." He sat down with you and showed you one because you're who he designed it for.

It's like having Stradivarius demo you his violin, not for business reasons as much as because it's what he enjoys doing!

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. He isn't about the customer because you're "supposed to" be about the customer. He didn't grab some assistant and say, "Tell this guy about our guitars." He sat down with you and showed you one because you're who he designed it for.

It's like having Stradivarius demo you his violin, not for business reasons as much as because it's what he enjoys doing!

I agree completely......His honest passion is contagious, so much so that when I was looking to buy my 'that' guitar I was pleased that it was a PRS. Even more so now:)

I've had the good fortune to have hung out with Paul a few times. They are moments I will always treasure. The same goes for my time with the PS and PTC syndicates. Love those guys.

The running of a business is something that weighs very heavily on people. It can be a great joy no doubt, but even success comes at a price that many simply don't see. I have three employes which is nothing compared to PRS and there are plenty of days I feel broken. I'm talking absolutely spiritless. And after getting up again I wonder why I did it. I don't love what I do the way Paul does, but I can only imagine the pressure. To the getting back up, to bearing the weight, to never turning off, and giving a damn. <3 JFB

I've had the good fortune to have hung out with Paul a few times. They are moments I will always treasure. The same goes for my time with the PS and PTC syndicates. Love those guys.

The running of a business is something that weighs very heavily on people. It can be a great joy no doubt, but even success comes at a price that many simply don't see. I have three employes which is nothing compared to PRS and there are plenty of days I feel broken. I'm talking absolutely spiritless. And after getting up again I wonder why I did it. I don't love what I do the way Paul does, but I can only imagine the pressure. To the getting back up, to bearing the weight, to never turning off, and giving a damn. <3 JFB

It's definitely not easy. As an owner much work needs to be done behind to scenes to stay ahead and simply stay afloat.

We have about 20 employees at my business and that's not that much compared to others. But sometimes, I swear it feels like babysitting :(.

Hi Hopeful Sinner,

It's great to see a company thriving when many others are going downhill. He's obviously passionate about his instruments which is great for the musicians.

Thanks Paul!!

Back