Let's talk about dogs, man

We just put down my dog (and former partner) a few months ago. Our next will be a Great Dane. They don't fit the bill for small, but they are low-key and family-friendly. Out dog breed book actually recommends them for apartment-dwellers because they are so laid back.

If you want to go small, I had a Westy growing up, and he was a great companion. I don't like small dogs, and my wife hates them (she worked for a vet for years, and the small ones were the meanest), but some other smallER, laid back ones that havn't been mentioned are:
Bassett Hounds are good, but like all hounds, bay...
bulldogs can be hit or miss, but mostly laid back.

Medium size, extremely laid back, non-shedding....Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. The breed that preceded my current Airedale.....very easy going and "hypoallergenic". A bit of upkeep, as you need to brush them regularly to avoid matting. Highly recommended breed.

dog3.jpg

Lucy-Fer
dog1.jpg

My labrador is awesome. He's also pretty mellow, but he's older. He's always happy and loves everyone. However, he sheds like mad. They do have Labradoodles, which have the lab temperament with no shedding.

IMG_20110327_115428.jpg
Pancreatitis took this guy away from me the day before Thanksgiving. I miss him so much!!

Pancreatitis took this guy away from me the day before Thanksgiving. I miss him so much!!

So sorry to hear about that bud! Looks like he a lived a full and wonderful life, I mean look at how comfy that carpet looks!

Breaks my heart to hear this bud. Ever think about getting another?

Thanks, everyone. I actually searched for this thread so I could read about some dog breeds, but I got sad about my best bud there when I saw his picture. So yeah, we will get a new one, but I'm not sure what breed I would like to go with.

He had a great life, a family that loved him and misses him. He was a rescue dog, and we don't know much about his early life except that he was unreasonably afraid of certain inanimate objects (including guitars!). Once he joined our family, he had a good (almost) decade of fun and love.

The tough part is right now we have a 4 month old baby and a 4 year old girl at home, and with both of us working and having to devote so much time to the kids, I'm not sure we'd have time to properly adopt and get to know a new dog.

The tough part is right now we have a 4 month old baby and a 4 year old girl at home, and with both of us working and having to devote so much time to the kids, I'm not sure we'd have time to properly adopt and get to know a new dog.

Totally understandable. Have you considered a cat since they require less one on one attention? I only suggest a dog alternative becuase as a yong kid I really, really, really loved having dogs. I believe they helped shape me into the somewhat compassionate person I am today!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34290 said:
Two. No more. No less.

Pups.jpg

This is what the dictionary should use for the definition of "Bliss".

If only moments like this were more enduring, more consistent....well, just MORE.

This is what the dictionary should use for the definition of "Bliss".

If only moments like this were more enduring, more consistent....well, just MORE.

Rest assured, Ned, I'm soaking it up. Not much in this world that's sweeter than puppies chasing a child though a field.

RunningWithPups.jpg

Based on your comments - check out a Maltese. They're small but have lots of personality, and they have no idea that they are small. They are also hypo-allergenic, so no shedding. In the dog shows, you usually see them with long dust mop hair and ribbons... but a puppy cut and NO ribbons is more my style. Great dogs. Buddy (below) is ~6 pounds, travels short or long hauls with ease.

216043_1728314692632_5754080_n.jpg

+100000000 Everything Mike told me a year ago was true....Maltese are great "Companion" dogs! They are all dog and not snappy like most small/toy breeds. They are amazingly smart and don't shed or smell like dogs as they don't have that undercoat most dogs do, and I hate smelly dog houses!!!!. The only problem with them is you'll want 2 like Gina and I. Arnold is a purebred Maltese and Oliver is a Morkie...1/2 Yorkie...1/2 Maltese. They made it 4 days @ 14 hours a day in the car @ 6 months old when we moved to Bama last June without a peep. Since then they've been to N. Carolina 3 times and Annapolis twice. They are serious "Roadawgs" and I dig em!

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Digging for crabs on the Severn!!!!

IMG_2657.jpg

With their Girlfriend (left) Natty in Sept in town for their "Experience!!!!!" :five:

IMG_2667.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34295 said:
Rest assured, Ned, I'm soaking it up. Not much in this world that's sweeter than puppies chasing a child though a field.

RunningWithPups.jpg

Pure joy...

My daughter Lori is not lobbying HARD for a playmate for Maggie. HARD!. So far, Lynn is holding fast...

Jamie

I like dogs... That said, I'm very hesitant to bond to another. I lost my best friend 2 years ago and a part of me went with him. I just can't connect to another dog like that.

But I have another dog now - but very independent and not the lap dog Shiloh (he was a Beagle) was. I miss that.

Here is Gibson (old pic when I got him), a 2 year old (now) male Boxer.

212yb2v.jpg

I love him, but it isn't the same intense bond as I had with Shiloh.

Back