Let's talk about Beer, man!

My wife and I enjoy a wide variety of "craft" beers, along with most of our friends. About the only thing we generally will not order is any type of lager or pilsner (but if offered we will gladly imbibe). We love IPAs (incl. double and imperial), stouts, porters, scotch ales, scottish ales, sours, saisons, belgian-styled (dubbels, tripels, quads, etc), brown ales, red ales, basically the whole beer case at any large retailer (like Total Wine or ABC here in FL). We also like wheat beers, including hefeweizens, but prefer them on warm/hot summer days, whereas everything else we drink all year long.

We do enjoy looking for rare and offbeat beers, so Sam Adams for example is rarely procured - even most Sierra Nevada and Sweetwater Brewing is a little too mainstream for us, though we like their more limited edition products (we have Sweetwater's Old Man Johnson's Farm Dank Tank on tap at home right now, for example).

Dang, now I'm thirsty.

There are only a couple companies that control the liquor market in Maryland, so not everything is available to us. I'll see if I can find Sleigh'R though.

Understood, it's way out of their distribution footprint and likely a long shot on the east coast, but worth keeping an eye out.

Worst case scenario, you turn your attention to other devilishly delicious pours.

So glad to find this on local shelves:

8FcwEWA.png

I'm missing a picture of Sierra Nevada Narwhal (so I'll have to borrow one) -- for stout lovers, that's one to track down while it's available. I prefer the OG version but there are barrel aged variants floating around now as well.

UNs2utb.png

I don't drink nearly often enough, but last go round I had a couple Mac and Jack African Ambers at the Contour, served up draft in old fashioneds.

Understood, it's way out of their distribution footprint and likely a long shot on the east coast, but worth keeping an eye out.

Worst case scenario, you turn your attention to other devilishly delicious pours.

So glad to find this on local shelves:

8FcwEWA.png

I'm missing a picture of Sierra Nevada Narwhal (so I'll have to borrow one) -- for stout lovers, that's one to track down while it's available. I prefer the OG version but there are barrel aged variants floating around now as well.

UNs2utb.png

This one is hard to find, just came across only one six pack this year...

jubelale-2017-with-ingredients.png

Quality Brewers! Good stuff!

Name bias and killer label aside, it's a truly excellent winter seasonal, heavy on toasty malt goodness with bits of near toffee. Highly recommended.

OK, I think I gotta try that one... I've been passing up Ninkasi on the shelf for years, probably not for any good reason.

My palate must be old :p cuz it wants darky, toasty, and malty. Something to go with a cigar (other than whisky). Stouts, porters, bocks....dark stuff. Plus, any good tripel or quad, preferably made by monks. A good Hefe works as well. Basically, anything under 60 ibu works.

Oooh, yes! that's the good stuff right there. I like 'em good and malty and strong, preferably under 30 IBUs.

OK, I think I gotta try that one... I've been passing up Ninkasi on the shelf for years, probably not for any good reason.

I was in precisely the same boat. So, this past summer I saw a sixer of Helles Belles on the shelf and gave it a shot. It was legit, so I'm just going to meander my way through the rest of the line. Really enjoyed everything I've sampled so far.

I was in precisely the same boat. So, this past summer I saw a sixer of Helles Belles on the shelf and gave it a shot. It was legit, so I'm just going to meander my way through the rest of the line. Really enjoyed everything I've sampled so far.

I have to admit that I'm probably unfairly prejudiced towards northwest brewers as being over hops-happy. A lot of my domestic favorites come out of Colorado, California, and (weirdly) Utah.

I have to admit that I'm probably unfairly prejudiced towards northwest brewers as being over hops-happy. A lot of my domestic favorites come out of Colorado, California, and (weirdly) Utah.
You could've been describing me five years ago. The west coast IPAs were my gateway, now I can't function without fresh hop stuff that makes most people pucker and run screaming. :D

Ok so I spoke with my neighbour tonight and the latest brew is gonna have a peach/passion fruit tang to it!

Can’t wait!!

I like this stuff. Found it in November when my wife and I took a few days on the Shenandoah Sprits trail visiting vineyards and a few breweries. This is made by Pale Fire Brewing in Harrisonburg VA. I collect vinyl so I must admit the label sucked me in.... but the beer is good too.

CaMoQ6h.jpg

In keeping with my threat to go through the Ninkasi line, this fell in my cart last night. Delicious if you're into big hops. Very nice malt, and the double-IPA profile alternates between balanced and slightly unbalanced. Really delightful drinker.

NtLuzWNg.jpg

Saturday was bitterly cold, so there wasn't much to do outside. Instead, I stayed in and watched the Godfather trilogy with my son. He was good for the first two, but he bailed out on number 3 (I can't say I blame him, that movie pales in comparison to the first two). Of course I needed some good beer to go along with some great movies.

Finishing off the Boulevard Variety 8 Pack and one from Flying Dog, a Maryland brewery.

IMG_8615_edited.jpg
IMG_8613.jpg
IMG_8619_edited.jpg

Saturday was bitterly cold, so there wasn't much to do outside. Instead, I stayed in and watched the Godfather trilogy with my son. He was good for the first two, but he bailed out on number 3 (I can't say I blame him, that movie pales in comparison to the first two). Of course I needed some good beer to go along with some great movies.

Finishing off the Boulevard Variety 8 Pack and one from Flying Dog, a Maryland brewery.

View attachment 5899 View attachment 5900 View attachment 5902

Ahhhh.....a big Quad! Love it! Sadly, I'm on the shelf for the next 10 days. I'll have to ditch the hard stuff and get back on the beer truck when I'm off the wagon!

Back