Let's talk about Beer, man!

John Beef said:
You East Coasters don't have any of the Deschutes beers. I feel bad for you.

deschutes-inversion-ipa-e1310240004784-224x300.jpg

Though, when I'm on the East Coast, I like to try to find Saranac Black and Tan. Brings back memories from college.

WOW! I haven't had that in years. They still make it?

Not a huge beer drinker, but when I do, I lean towards Molson and Labatts. Or Heineken - I like that as well.

Local favorite would be Resurrection Ale by Brewer's Art. For just about anytime I like Miller High Life or maybe a Sam Adams Boston Lager. As for Natty Boh, for some reason it's particularly good at the Sidebar in B'more. Maybe because it's $2 a pop and the music is loud. :D

A local Nashville favorite is Yazoo Pale. Very balanced with a full taste.
A personal favorite and old standby is Guiness when I'm at a bar with friends
On a hot day it's Sam Adams Summer
During shows it's whatever's free...usually Coors or Bud light

So many choices.. for me it's about the seasons.

When I'm in Nashville for work I really dig Yazoo Dos Perros. Mild taste, with great overtones.
Summer... I really dig Boulevard Pilsner. Perfect for the times at the BBQ. Light and crisp.. think cooking out.
Import-- Franziskaner Weissbier... great light wheat style beer.. refreshing, very non-typical beer taste, light, smooth.
Dark/Stout- Rogue Shakespeare stout.. FULL flavor.. to me it way out does Guinness. Malty, thick, almost chocolately overtones.
All time favorite... Anchor Steam from SF. Flavor is what I look for in a beer.. has a full beer taste.
Favorite local beer here OKC... COOP DNR or F5... fantastic.

So many great regional beers and micro brews... I could go on and on. I like beer... ;)

I used to be a big American Pale Ale fan - Sierra Nevada comes to mind as a great one.

But then I started spending alot of time working in Belgium and Belgium truly is the Disneyland of beer.

I even managed to end up staying in a hotel that was a block walk away from a place that you can sit by a river and drink Westvleteren 12, which is the 1959 Les Paul of beer only it only costs about 3 Euro a bottle.

My go to beer these days is Duvel, which is a ass knocker of a blond bombshell.
thmb_w.php

Shawn@PRS said:
Lots to reply to here.

First Goldtop, this is awesome. So descriptive and full of imagery!
It's a typical hot Texas day. There isn't a breeze stirring, and the sun is high in the sky. The temp. is 100+ in the shade, and the humidity is in the 90's. The end of a long, hard day. The good kind of tired. You reach into a cooler full of ice and water and pull out a bottle. It's so cold it almost hurts your hand. You open it with your church key and drink it down as the water runs down your arm... Ahhhhhhh.

HippieTim- I haven’t tried the Carolina Pale Ale, but I certainly will next time I'm down in the Tar Heel State.

Andy474x- I'm typically not a fan of IPA's either, they tend to be too hoppy for me. So how does the Harpoon stand out from other IPA's you've tried?

Yuengling isn't the most amazing beer in the world, but their Lord Chesterfield is pretty tasty. What I like best about Yuengling is their independent ways, they're sort of like a large microbrewer. Wait, does that make sense?

I'm the same with IPA's Shawn, for a long time I just couldn't get into the really hoppy/bitter stuff. Still don't for that matter, but the Harpoon has a nice balance. It has an appropriate amount of hops, and enough sweetness to round it out. It's not a grand champion of beers, but definitely good, a great 6 pack to grab for band practice since most will like it. It's pretty big here in Boston, I would think you could track some down in your area.
Osiris, +1 on the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat! I don't drink much Sam and I wasn't a fan of it the first time I had one, but someone forced one on me in a frosty mug last summer and it was delightful. I guess while we're on the subject of fruity beer, I'll just go ahead and admit that I love to drink Leinie Summer Shandy on a hot day...

Beer should come in barrels, have no CO2 added and be served direct from the barrel or via a handpump at cellar (cool, NOT cold) temperature. That is all :D

I have too many favourites to list, but depending on what the pub is serving it will often be something from a small brewery that I've never tried before and may never see again.

Beer....a favorite topic of mine. I used to brew my own....when I had far more free time than I do now. For now I just appreciate what others create and try to hit about 1 or 2 beerfests yearly. Here are some of my favorites I've accumulated over the years

1) Redhook Longhammer IPA: This was my first favorite hoppy brew and I still considerate it a gold standard in the pale ale/IPA category. Crisp with pleasant but not overbearing hop presence. Luckily the brewery is 40 miles away so I can go to there and get it fresh at their pub.

2) Chimay Grande Reserve: The definitive Belgian style triple. Nothing touches it, period.

3) Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA: At the 15 to 18% ABV range, one glass of this usually has me spinning but the intense and surprisingly sweet in lieu of bitter hop flavor makes this beer pure heaven for hop lovers. So much better if you have the RARE opportunity to get it on tap.

4) Fullers Pale Ale: The Brits just know how to make great session beer.

5) Sierra Nevada ESB: Sadly no longer made but I pray for the day it returns.

6) Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin: Mainers make great beer! These guys consistently put out great product but this particular beer is a real home run. 9% ABV wheat based spice beer with real pumpkin. Does get a bit fatiguing after a while but a couple of glasses is a real treat.

Since moving to central Oregon I have been trying more and more IPA's...

Boneyard Brewing has one that is good.

Chainbreaker IPA from Deschutes is tasty as is the Red chair they brew.

I had a chance to try Pliny the Elder from a keg at a pub down the street and it was very good...It is a CA beer but delicious all the same.

Lots of breweries around here for sure...

Phishdog said:
Since moving to central Oregon I have been trying more and more IPA's...

Boneyard Brewing has one that is good.

Chainbreaker IPA from Deschutes is tasty as is the Red chair they brew.

I had a chance to try Pliny the Elder from a keg at a pub down the street and it was very good...It is a CA beer but delicious all the same.

Lots of breweries around here for sure...

I really enjoy Full Sail Amber Ale. I believe they are located in Portland Oregon

You know, the fact is I just don't drink much beer anymore. I've even stepped away from the big red's. I'm more of a top-shelf Vodka & Tonic guy these days.

Nothing beats Harpoon IPA on tap, if you ask me. Hoppy and full of flavor.

And a close second (even in bottles) is Sam Adams Noble Pils. Less hoppy, but still full of flavor, though now with a wist of citris. Why they stopped making it I dont know... their new spring ale isnt all that good. :(

Back