Let's talk about Beer, man!

Shawn@PRS

yogi
I like to have a beer every once in a while and I enjoy all types of brews. Sometimes I just want a refreshing beer on a hot summer day like Maryland's own Natty Boh, but sometimes I want a more elegant brew like Chimay Rouge.

What are some of your favorites and why?

Boh.jpg

Dos Equis (XX) Amber is a long standing favorite. Throughout the years - even as Colorado seemed to have a micro-brew on every corner in the mid-90's - that one beer has remained a staple. When it is fresh and cold, it's pretty hard to beat.

There are times lately, I'll admit, where I'll return a 6-pack of Dos Equis. Not sure if those guys keep their beer cool enough but a lot of it seems to go sour these days. That has had me searching for something new.

While I used to enjoy a cool (not cold) Guiness, Grolsch, Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale, a Murphy's Irish Stout, or a Boddington's Bitter, I am starting to lean away from beer that is skunky, bitter, or too hoppy. I just want a well balanced amber or hefeweizen. Blue Moon (with an orange) is a good summer beer for me but I don't generally care for fruity beer either. And Pilsner's? No thanks.

I just want a beer that is richly flavored when cold and balanced enough that the last warm swig from the bottle (or pint glass) isn't hard to choke down.

Right now, Yuengling is consistently the best beer I've ever had. The problem? I can't buy it in Colorado. :(

2010_10_22-Yuengling.JPG

Dude - for some reason I love Natty Bo - I know people say its the bottom of the list but whenever I'm in Baltimore, I always go with the bo. For the price you can't beat it, and I actually enjoy it.

Locally, Blue Point Brewery is within 10 minutes of my house and is perfect from the brewhouse taps. A fresh pour of Toasted Lager or Old Howling Bastard will turn any frown upside down.

About 2 minutes east of Blue Point is another Brewery/Restaurante called Brick House Brewery. Not only is the food good, but they have a few brews of their own that are insane. Their "Summer Buzz" is ~9% alco, but is as smooth as Coors light, yet has the Flavors of a high quality lager. Its crazy.

Grolsch has been my latest interest. I don't always drink beer, but when I do...

Not a huge beer drinker, but I do enjoy some of the European offerings.

Shawn@PRS said:
I like to have a beer every once in a while and I enjoy all types of brews. Sometimes I just want a refreshing beer on a hot summer day like Maryland's own Natty Boh, but sometimes I want a more elegant brew like Chimay Rouge.

Ye Ole Brewmaster himself :cool:

dprather said:
Shiner Bock.

Texas' best brew, nothing else is required.

Do you guys export that into the United States? :D I actually like Shiner and had some Ruby Redbird last summer which was very refreshing.

I'm a big fan of the Yuengling brews. They are still Independently/family owned and can stand their ground against the big boys (kind of like PRS).

We have a lot of great microbrews in the area. Fordham (from the Rams Head), Flying Dog, Evo and Dogfish Head just to name a few.

hippietim said:
Fat Tire, Red Hook, Carolina Pale Ale are some favorites.
Oooooh... I forgot about Red Hook! I was briefing at an industry conference on the Microsoft campus (about a decade ago) and MS rented out the entire Red Hook brewery to host a party for my team. It was awesome.

Now here's a thread I can get into! Glad to hear there's some guys with good taste on here. I don't think I've tried any of the Yuengling brews, but I'll have to check them out. I've also not tried the infamous Natty Boh that I keep seeing on here, but my flights usually layover in Baltimore so maybe I can find a place that has it in the terminal. Anyone seen it in the airport?
I'm originally from the Grand Rapids, MI area, loads of awesome microbrews out there. Founders is a west MI favorite that has expanded distribution to many states now. Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale and Red's Rye are probably my favorites, but all their beers are worth trying. On the cheaper side, Goose Island Honker Ale is a new favorite, and I live within walking distance of the Harpoon brewery in Boston - I was never a big IPA fan but the Harpoon IPA is good stuff. Still trying to find a long enough tap line to secretly run it out of the brewery straight to my apartment :D

I have been getting into cheaper and lighter domestic beers, I figure if you throw a lime in anything it will taste like a Tecate.
However I still don't have the ability to turn down a Newcastle.

Hans said:
hippietim said:
Fat Tire, Red Hook, Carolina Pale Ale are some favorites.
Oooooh... I forgot about Red Hook! I was briefing at an industry conference on the Microsoft campus (about a decade ago) and MS rented out the entire Red Hook brewery to host a party for my team. It was awesome.

That's how we roll :)

I'm not a big beer drinker but I must admit that I'm a big fan of Dos Equis Lager. It's my go to beer in most cases. I'm also quite partial to Heineken and Guinness which I should probably attribute to my birth roots. Yuengling strikes me as a brew that people either love or hate. In a lot of cases people try it out and hate it and then on the second go around they love it. That's just been my observation in my area though. I'm still in the camp of "not a fan" but I haven't given it a second shot yet. I have recently tried Samuel Adam's Cherry Wheat which I think is great cold but not so much cool.

Hello,

This is my first post, and what a subject to start with!

I don't drink much alcohol now, but years ago my beer preference was Lone Star. I also liked Fosters once it became widely available here in the US, but Lone Star was (and still is) my number one choice. And Budweiser is my 'fail safe, you can find it anywhere' favorite.

I never got into many of the micro brews. I see some now and then that interest me a little, but so far I haven't tried more than a handful of them.

---
It's a typical hot Texas day. There isn't a breeze stirring, and the sun is high in the sky. The temp. is 100+ in the shade, and the humidity is in the 90's. The end of a long, hard day. The good kind of tired. You reach into a cooler full of ice and water and pull out a bottle. It's so cold it almost hurts your hand. You open it with your church key and drink it down as the water runs down your arm... Ahhhhhhh.
---

Thanks for asking the question and helping me relive a great memory! And thanks to everyone involved in providing us with this forum.

Goldtop

Lots to reply to here.

First Goldtop, this is awesome. So descriptive and full of imagery!
It's a typical hot Texas day. There isn't a breeze stirring, and the sun is high in the sky. The temp. is 100+ in the shade, and the humidity is in the 90's. The end of a long, hard day. The good kind of tired. You reach into a cooler full of ice and water and pull out a bottle. It's so cold it almost hurts your hand. You open it with your church key and drink it down as the water runs down your arm... Ahhhhhhh.

HippieTim- I haven’t tried the Carolina Pale Ale, but I certainly will next time I'm down in the Tar Heel State.

Andy474x- I'm typically not a fan of IPA's either, they tend to be too hoppy for me. So how does the Harpoon stand out from other IPA's you've tried?

Yuengling isn't the most amazing beer in the world, but their Lord Chesterfield is pretty tasty. What I like best about Yuengling is their independent ways, they're sort of like a large microbrewer. Wait, does that make sense?

Shawn@PRS said:
HippieTim- I haven’t tried the Carolina Pale Ale, but I certainly will next time I'm down in the Tar Heel State.

Beer's on me if you make it to the Raleigh area.

Shawn@PRS said:
Lots to reply to here.

First Goldtop, this is awesome. So descriptive and full of imagery!

Thank you sir. Just thinking about it made me want a cold one. I may have to head to the store soon... ;)

Goldtop

You East Coasters don't have any of the Deschutes beers. I feel bad for you.

deschutes-inversion-ipa-e1310240004784-224x300.jpg

Though, when I'm on the East Coast, I like to try to find Saranac Black and Tan. Brings back memories from college.

Back