Let's talk about Beer, man!

9-F2-A939-A-8117-4-A63-80-DD-721-A98-BBC1-CA.jpg

Able Ebenezer in Merrimack NH. Not only is the ‘Burn the Sails’ smoked IPA good, but it’s also 5 miles from John Mann’s awesome shop. Good thing he was closed (and I wasn’t driving) - had just enough liquid encouragement to make my credit cards cry...

I like local craft beverages. Now in particular I’m trying to support the places I would like to be able to stay in business. Just in case there was any doubt how hard these people work for their money: I placed an order with Ernest Cider last night at 10pm, and they delivered it this afternoon. If I’d known they would come in on Easter to fill the order, I probably would have waited.

Second Wedge is delivering on Tuesday.

A few months ago I scored four six-packs of my favorite Australian beer, Coopers Pale Ale, at a not-too-distant Total Wine & More. Been taking my time working through it, as it had been a few years since I found it last and who knows when I'll find it again. These bottles were already a couple years old, so clearly they don't exactly fly off the shelves.

Bottle fermented, no preservatives. I love that they have a best after date instead of a best before date. Big, smooth bready taste, yet very drinkable. Not bitter at all. This is the standard beer in South Australia. For a short while, I lived down the street from where Coopers started in Adelaide. Other than being a killer beer, I'll always love it for the memories!

With so many really good craft beer brewers popping up all over the country, there is no need to drink crappy beer. There is a local place near us named RAR (Real Ale Revival) that is tearing it up. It's run by a couple of young guys who are eager to have fun and experiment. If you can't get RAR in your area, check them out when you visit Maryland for the Experience.

Their Nanticoke Nectar is a great IPA!!!!

And Dogfish Head has a really good LIGHT IPA that's really tasty..."Slightly Mighty"...Try it , you won't be sorry. (It's been mentioned elsewhere)

My latest from Ernest Cider. They do a special Rainbow Railroad run every year, to support the Rainbow Railroad. I love the design of this year's can.
This makes 10 flavours I currently have at the house. They are a good, local, family owned business.

That looks so good!

That looks so good!
Their ciders are delicious. This one is a simple, dry apple.
I also have:
Another ‘ordinary’ apple
Apple Strudel - a bit sweeter
Bumbleberry (Mrs favourite, think black berry and raspberry)
Blueberry
Winter Blush - cranberry
Impeachment - mint and peach
Between the sheets - a hint of bourbon
Pamplemouse (grapefruit to non Québécois)
Relic - think whiskey as a cider

The last three were tiny experimental batches.

Their ciders are delicious. This one is a simple, dry apple.
I also have:
Another ‘ordinary’ apple
Apple Strudel - a bit sweeter
Bumbleberry (Mrs favourite, think black berry and raspberry)
Blueberry
Winter Blush - cranberry
Impeachment - mint and peach
Between the sheets - a hint of bourbon
Pamplemouse (grapefruit to non Québécois)
Relic - think whiskey as a cider

The last three were tiny experimental batches.

OK, if you insist. I’ll hop on the bike and be over soon!;)

Y’all make me want to go buy some beer!

Unfortunately, I have a drinking problem. I don’t drink it nearly as quickly as I should. I buy beer like I’m 24, and I drink like I’m 44. I might drink 4 a month in the summer, which explains all of this Octoberfest in the fridge... And the cupboard next to it.

There’s a parallel to guitars here, I think.

Back