Let's talk about Beer, man!

Who remembers this guy from the 70's?
84f486e74b7978568e670a7fd13f7750_400x400.jpeg

Speaking of that time...
IF-YOU-REMEMBER-THE-60S-AND-70S-YOU-WERENT-THERE163-8956_150_th.jpg

With so many really good craft beer brewers popping up all over the country, there is no need to drink crappy beer. There is a local place near us named RAR (Real Ale Revival) that is tearing it up. It's run by a couple of young guys who are eager to have fun and experiment. If you can't get RAR in your area, check them out when you visit Maryland for the Experience.

With so many really good craft beer brewers popping up all over the country, there is no need to drink crappy beer. There is a local place near us named RAR (Real Ale Revival) that is tearing it up. It's run by a couple of young guys who are eager to have fun and experiment. If you can't get RAR in your area, check them out when you visit Maryland for the Experience.
Thanks for the tip. I hope I can remember it 6 months from now.

it’s a great time for people who like tasting. My must try local beer places are Second Wedge and Hop City. Earnest and Spirit Tree make excellent ciders.

I was into IPA's and Pale Ale's for many years and starting going down the road or the more bitter the better. (Long Trail, Seira Nevada, Dog Fish Head, etc...) But then about 2 years ago on a Mountain Bike trip in VT, I tasted my first New England IPA from Hill Farmstead and it has forever changed my tastes.

So now I primarily drink Hazy, cloudy, and citrisy IPAs from local breweries in southern MA and RI, but will buy NE style IPA's from the liquor store when I need to. I would call myself a beer snob but that would imply that I have some kind of expertise. I don't. I'm just super picky now and only like one kind of beer. They are hard to find, and they are stupid expensive! ($18-$22 per 4 pack)

with that said, my favorites breweries are;
Trillium in MA
Long Live Beerworks in RI
Tilted Barn in RI
TreeHouse in MA

You East Coasters don't have any of the Deschutes beers. I feel bad for you.

deschutes-inversion-ipa-e1310240004784-224x300.jpg

Though, when I'm on the East Coast, I like to try to find Saranac Black and Tan. Brings back memories from college.
Funny, I say the same for the west coast and really anywhere outside of New England that don't have any NEIPAs. They are unbelievable!

I'm the same with IPA's Shawn, for a long time I just couldn't get into the really hoppy/bitter stuff. Still don't for that matter, but the Harpoon has a nice balance. It has an appropriate amount of hops, and enough sweetness to round it out. It's not a grand champion of beers, but definitely good, a great 6 pack to grab for band practice since most will like it. It's pretty big here in Boston, I would think you could track some down in your area.
Osiris, +1 on the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat! I don't drink much Sam and I wasn't a fan of it the first time I had one, but someone forced one on me in a frosty mug last summer and it was delightful. I guess while we're on the subject of fruity beer, I'll just go ahead and admit that I love to drink Leinie Summer Shandy on a hot day...

Andy, if you are in Boston and like Harpoon IPAs, do yourself a favour and go Trillium and Seaport area (assuming you haven't already). Best IPA in MA IMO (although some would argue Treehouse is better).

The more I drink here: http://aleasylum.com/ the less I like everything else. I love their new bar/brewery. Even other beers I've liked a lot in the past just have been tasting inferior lately. Bedlam is my current favorite. Food is pretty decent too on their limited menu. I've been drinking their ales a long time, but just recently started going to their brewery. I need an endorsement or something:)
I've had their space dust which I liked. It's not my favorite Double IPA but it's the one I order at a bar if they don't carry any local IPAs.

I was into IPA's and Pale Ale's for many years and starting going down the road or the more bitter the better. (Long Trail, Seira Nevada, Dog Fish Head, etc...) But then about 2 years ago on a Mountain Bike trip in VT, I tasted my first New England IPA from Hill Farmstead and it has forever changed my tastes.

So now I primarily drink Hazy, cloudy, and citrisy IPAs from local breweries in southern MA and RI, but will buy NE style IPA's from the liquor store when I need to. I would call myself a beer snob but that would imply that I have some kind of expertise. I don't. I'm just super picky now and only like one kind of beer. They are hard to find, and they are stupid expensive! ($18-$22 per 4 pack)

with that said, my favorites breweries are;
Trillium in MA
Long Live Beerworks in RI
Tilted Barn in RI
TreeHouse in MA

I'm not expert either, just a fan. But it seems to me that many brewers are doing with hops is similar what California was doing with oaked chardonnay 20 years ago. i.e. they're getting carried away. I prefer a well balance brew. Not too sweet, not too hoppy.

I'm not expert either, just a fan. But it seems to me that many brewers are doing with hops is similar what California was doing with oaked chardonnay 20 years ago. i.e. they're getting carried away. I prefer a well balance brew. Not too sweet, not too hoppy.

I'm with you. I don't mind an IPA, on rare occasion. I'm getting a little frustrated with some of our local bars/eateries/brewpubs, their beer menus are 70% IPA, or more. Blech. I'd like a nice bock or double boc, Hefe, or a tripel. Now that the temps are getting colder, it's Stout season!

100% agree. But it all goes in cycles. you can still get really oaky / buttery chardonnay but when I was back out in Napa about 6 years ago, the latest trend was to go the high alcohol stainless tank style (like Rombauer). I prefer a chardonnay in the middle and I think the styles are moving back to the middle but I could be wrong.

I agree it appears IPA's have done this as well. They went to the super bitter side and now many breweries are trying to get in on the NE style IPA trend - including many larger breweries. But many are doing something to make them too sweet. It almost seems like some are adding orange flavoring which is not what makes a NE IPA citrusy. According to my brother (who is a brewer/ hobbyist), what they do with standard IPAs and west coast IPAs is to overload them with hops in the brewing process. Boiling all these hops creates the bitterness. But the new England style changed the process to use a lower amount of hops in the mash and then add (or overload) the hops late in the brewing process which eliminates much of the bitterness from the hops but allows all the citrusy flavors of the hops to come through. I might not have the details of the process right, but the beers end up tasting less malty as well as less bitter in the beginning with tons of citrusy hops flavor following. And they are unfiltered to give them a "thicker / smoother" feel. They shouldn't be sweet though. The citrusy flavors and unfiltered body balance against the bitterness so they should be neither too sweet or too bitter.

Anyway, most of the beer drinkers I know in NE, are full on board with this style now and we have all become crazy enough that when we find a good brewery, we show up and wait in line to spend $20 for four! It's insanity!

I'm with you. I don't mind an IPA, on rare occasion. I'm getting a little frustrated with some of our local bars/eateries/brewpubs, their beer menus are 70% IPA, or more. Blech. I'd like a nice bock or double boc, Hefe, or a tripel. Now that the temps are getting colder, it's Stout season!
This is my fault. Or at least I'm part of the problem. I've always been and IPA drinker but this latest trend is crazy. I don't have more than 3 beers when I go out and I love IPA so much that when I do order a beer, i'll only order an IPA. Not I'm crazy picky about IPAs so I go somewhere where they have a large selection with a number of local beers. This demand is driving bars and pubs to carry an unbalanced amount of IPA's. (it's good for me, but even I can see it's obnoxious.

The same goes for breweries around here. If you are starting brewery in NE, you have to make a number of IPAs and always have 2 or 2 available or you are not going to make it. I suspect it's annoying to some of the brewers that want to make other stuff. ...so, Sorry@ I'm definitely part of the problem.

Back