Let's talk about Beer, man!

I recently saw a video where a guy explained why you should create a generous head of foam when pouring a glass of beer. The way he described it, if you don't release the gas in the glass, all of that Co2 will fill your belly and you'll feel bloated. I'm no beer expert, but the theory seems to make sense.

I recently saw a video where a guy explained why you should create a generous head of foam when pouring a glass of beer. The way he described it, if you don't release the gas in the glass, all of that Co2 will fill your belly and you'll feel bloated. I'm no beer expert, but the theory seems to make sense.
That seems plausible to me. I just like the look.

Saturday was bitterly cold, so there wasn't much to do outside. Instead, I stayed in and watched the Godfather trilogy with my son. He was good for the first two, but he bailed out on number 3 (I can't say I blame him, that movie pales in comparison to the first two).

Smart kid. When 3 came out, we had a sort of 'movie club' where I worked - we'd exchange copies of movies instead of all of us renting on our own. I watched 3 first. Originally, Winona Ryder (who I like very much) was supposed to play Michael's daughter, but she bowed out and Sofia Coppola took the role. After I watched it, my one buddy asked how it was, and I said, "I don't mean to spoil anything, but when she finally got killed, I wanted to stand up and cheer. She can not act." He gave me grief all day about it, and said it was only because I have the hots for Winona.

He watched the movie that weekend. Monday morning, he walked over to my desk and said, "I owe you an apology. I thought you said what you said because you love Winona Ryder, but that b!tch can't act to save her f#%@!* soul."

I saw that exact video. I quote it whenever my buddies give me crap about a sloppy pour.

I've seen the same video. The logic makes sense, but removing that natural carbonation can negatively effect the taste of beer. I can definitely taste a difference between a sloppy pour and a clean pour for something like a Belgian Whit or a Hefeweizen. Unless it's a stout, I want as little head as possible, CO2 be damned.

I've seen the same video. The logic makes sense, but removing that natural carbonation can negatively effect the taste of beer. I can definitely taste a difference between a sloppy pour and a clean pour for something like a Belgian Whit or a Hefeweizen. Unless it's a stout, I want as little head as possible, CO2 be damned.

Add Belgian Trippels and Quads to that list that you want a big head on.

Had some Oskar Blues Old Chub (scottish ale) over the weekend and that put me in a happy place. It's remarkable that you can get something that good in cans at the supermarket! In many ways we live in an age of wonders.

Hmm... I try to minimize the head because I often don't like the way it tastes.

For the cork sniffers: The head is important: you want a long-lasting, stable head to continually release aromatics as your sip your beer. :D

I don't like a big head on most things, though. I'm in the same boat as you on a lot of beers.

It’s quite amazing how many good choices there are out there. For Canada’s 150th birthday (last year), I tried 150 different ones. I will drink many again and found a surprising number of very special ones.

You, sir, are a hero!

It’s quite amazing how many good choices there are out there. For Canada’s 150th birthday (last year), I tried 150 different ones. I will drink many again and found a surprising number of very special ones.
Lightweight.

My wife and I, and several friends, are members of the World of beer loyalty program, which used to reward you for drinking unique beers. My wife was just she of 1000 when they shut down that part of the program at the end of last year (last month), and had started her membership just a few years ago. I hit 1250-ish in early 2016 (then focused on helping her), after about 5 years of "effort", while a close friend and bandmate, who has needed no help, hit 2500 I believe, after 7 years of membership.

150 in a year. yeesh. Six or seven months, max!

I keed, I keed! We go weekly as a social gathering. Plus, the WoB allows retail takeaway, so we often stocked up on oddball beers to take home for later in the week. So procuring 6 or 8 unique beers a week is pretty easy, as long as you have a wide variety of taste. If all you like is one type (whether it be pilsner, or brown ale, or whatever), you may be challenged to find sufficient unique beers...

Somebody tried "Black Crown" beer?
My husband brought from Canada.
we do not sell this kind of goods in our town.

Back