Let's see your rig

Too many knobs on those pedals fer me :p

U4C2CSA.jpg
A classic rig!

I think of my entire studio as one, integrated rig, because everything's controlled from my workstation, so I'll give the context with a few pics.

The recording area for noisy stuff is in the rear of the room. The amps are connected with a Swiss KHE switcher than can send signal to 8 amps and 4 cabs. All of the amps and cabs are electronically isolated, there's no tone suck, and it gets switched via MIDI at the workstation. Amps are powered by a Furman PF1800 power supply that has a 45A power reservoir, and electrically isolated outlets.

The entire rig is dead quiet, no hums, buzzes or switching noises.

The amps are (from left) a Mesa Fillmore 50, PRS DG30, PRS HXDA, and Mesa Lone Star 100. I don't use modelers. I make noise!

Usually there are mics in front of all 4 amps so I'm ready to record the minute a client calls, but hey, beauty shots need no mic stands:

Xl4atGO.jpg

Self-explanatory pedalboard closeup - the board is plugged into the same isolated power supply as the amps. Often I set it up by the workstation when recording. The board has a very effective, high quality buffer so I can run long cables back to the switcher without high frequency loss.

7TVIKPg.jpg

The workstation is the key to my rig. I can MIDI switch from here, and set up the pedalboard here when recording. There are mic preamps installed in shelving under the keyboard on the left. Because deadlines in my business have gotten absurdly short (when do you need it...oh, yesterday?), and I often have to recall mixes for client changes to their picture instantly (if not sooner), sadly, everything's pretty much done 'in the box' now. If not, I couldn't meet the client needs. I got rid of much of the analog recording gear ten years ago. I was beating my head against the wall recalling mixes and settings too often.

kO7IzbU.jpg

So that's it. My rig, such as things are in Studio Craptastic! ;)
Wow! That’s impressive!

You could put a the Kemper in a battery powered Kamper with the Kab, the Kone, a Klon Klone, and a Knife, and have a great time kamping near Kalamazoo or Kalkaska.

Not that I Know much about Kempers, Klon Klones, Kones, or Kabs, but I do have a Knice pocket Knife, and Kalamazoo and Kalkaska are only a few hours away.

I'd like to say more, but I have to mess with a sample library in Kontakt and my NI Komplete software suite. I'm thinking of buying their Komplete Kontrol midi controller, too.
kde user?

You could put a the Kemper in a battery powered Kamper with the Kab, the Kone, a Klon Klone, and a Knife, and have a great time kamping near Kalamazoo or Kalkaska.

Not that I Know much about Kempers, Klon Klones, Kones, or Kabs, but I do have a Knice pocket Knife, and Kalamazoo and Kalkaska are only a few hours away.

I'd like to say more, but I have to mess with a sample library in Kontakt and my NI Komplete software suite. I'm thinking of buying their Komplete Kontrol midi controller, too.
I know your feeling on the Kemper, but for those of us that enjoy them, the Kabinet and Kone take most of that “not an amp feeling“ away and replace it with “there’s some air moving.”

I know your feeling on the Kemper, but for those of us that enjoy them, the Kabinet and Kone take most of that “not an amp feeling“ away and replace it with “there’s some air moving.”
I was just fiddling around with "Words that start with K". Honest.

Kempers, Kabs, Kones, Knives, Kontakt, Kondundrums... ;)

But now that you mention it, what's the point of having a Kemper if you've gotta drag around the same amount of stuff as you do with a real amp - speaker cabinet, head, etc.?

For me, the point of having one would be only having to shlep a lightweight head to a gig, and giving a cable to the sound guy to plug into the mixer.

"But I have the tones of a zillion amps!"

"How many amp tones did Jimmy Page need when he played with Zeppelin? Or Hendrix? Or The Beatles when they still toured? My son cut a major label record with one amp. You don't need every tone in the world to play guitar!"

"How many do you need?"

"I have four, but..."

"See?"

"Don't jump to any conclusions, they're there to look cute. I have a whole thread on the topic in the amp forum."

"Not buying it."

"Well, they're not for sale, so Nyah-Nyah."

Last edited:
I was just fiddling around with "Words that start with K". Honest.

Kempers, Kabs, Kones, Knives, Kontakt, Kondundrums... ;)

But now that you mention it, what's the point of having a Kemper if you've gotta drag around the same amount of stuff as you do with a real amp - speaker cabinet, head, etc.?

For me, the point of having one would be only having to shlep a lightweight head to a gig, and giving a cable to the sound guy to plug into the mixer.

"But I have the tones of a zillion amps!"

"How many amp tones did Jimmy Page need when he played with Zeppelin? Or Hendrix? Or The Beatles when they still toured? My son cut a major label record with one amp. You don't need every tone in the world to play guitar!"

"How many do you need?"

"I have four, but..."

"See?"

"Don't jump to any conclusions, they're there to look cute. I have a whole thread on the topic in the amp forum."

"Not buying it."

"Well, they're not for sale, so Nyah-Nyah."
I could see a Kemper/Helix/AxeFx/etc. floorboard thingy, but yeah, the toaster or rack stuff is just… too much stuff for me to haul. Plus, I’d have to really trust the sound guy, and I just don’t.

For a guy that has a lot of stuff.. I don’t like having a lot of stuff, if that makes sense.

I’ve now got it down to a combo, a guitar, and two pedals (not including the amp foot switch, but hey, it mounts on the back of the amp!). So I’m ready to make the one trip thing in and out of a club.. if I could just find the desire to play out again.

I could see a Kemper/Helix/AxeFx/etc. floorboard thingy, but yeah, the toaster or rack stuff is just… too much stuff for me to haul. Plus, I’d have to really trust the sound guy, and I just don’t.

For a guy that has a lot of stuff.. I don’t like having a lot of stuff, if that makes sense.

I’ve now got it down to a combo, a guitar, and two pedals (not including the amp foot switch, but hey, it mounts on the back of the amp!). So I’m ready to make the one trip thing in and out of a club.. if I could just find the desire to play out again.
I take the Kemper head/floorboard in one bag, two guitars in another (backpack style), and a Kabinet. Ready for sound guy, or no sound guy.

Back