Let's see your rig

thewesdavis

I'm new here, but haven't seen a post like this:
Curious to know what everyone on here is using for a guitar rig with their PRS.

I'm in the process of finishing my rig and will post pics when it's completed, but I am running a stereo WET/DRY/WET rig:
PRS (CE-22) -> Wampler Triple Wreck clone -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Junior -> JHS Buffered Splitter => (tuner out: TC Electronics Polytune)
(WET CHAIN) -> Cusack Bass Scream -> Small Fi EQ -> Strymon Iridium (Vox setting) -> Eventide H9 => Radial Pro D2
(DRY CHAIN) -> Cusack Scruzz fuzz -> Strymon Iridium (Fender setting) -> Radial Pro DI

It's still a work in progress, but I'm excited to get it all wired up.

Hmm, which "rig" to describe?

For really tiny gigs where we are essentially an Irish session band, I bring my mandolin (not a PRS, unfortunately) and my P20 Parlor. No amp, no pedals.

For small-space gigs or festival slots I use a PL1 FlyRig into the PA. Mando PRS SC HB II (at least recently).

For practice at the other band-mates' house the FlyRig goes one of my very portable amps - either the Roland Micro Cube or a Fishman amp. I use one of their mandos, but bring my SC HB II.

If I can have more space & time at a gig, I might bring a smaller pedal board into the Fishman. DI out of the Fishman into the PA. Rarely I bring my Archon 50. Sometimes a banjo - though one of the others in the band has become the go-to banjo player recently. But these gigs are rare nowadays - maybe twice a year.

For band or personal practice at home, or studio recording, one of four or five possible pedal boards of varying sizes (yes, I have too many boards, waaay too many pedals), into any one of four or five PRS amps (Archon 100, HXDA, DG30, Sweet 16, or Archon 50).

I have too many toys, but I don't want to part with any of them. Sigh.

My wife's rig is simpler: Bass into some form of amp.

My wife brings a U-Bass and Roland Bass Cube for the tiny gigs.

Brings her GG-4 bass and a Fender Rumble amp for larger gigs & festivals.

She brings the GG-4 to practice at the other house, borrows their bass amp. Also uses the GG-4 for recording, DI.

She uses the Rumble and usually one of her other PRS basses for practice at home. GG-4 stays in the gig bag.

I think of my entire studio as one, integrated rig, because everything's controlled from my workstation, so I'll give the context with a few pics.

The recording area for noisy stuff is in the rear of the room. The amps are connected with a Swiss KHE switcher than can send signal to 8 amps and 4 cabs. All of the amps and cabs are electronically isolated, there's no tone suck, and it gets switched via MIDI at the workstation. Amps are powered by a Furman PF1800 power supply that has a 45A power reservoir, and electrically isolated outlets.

The entire rig is dead quiet, no hums, buzzes or switching noises.

The amps are (from left) a Mesa Fillmore 50, PRS DG30, PRS HXDA, and Mesa Lone Star 100. I don't use modelers. I make noise!

Usually there are mics in front of all 4 amps so I'm ready to record the minute a client calls, but hey, beauty shots need no mic stands:

Xl4atGO.jpg

Self-explanatory pedalboard closeup - the board is plugged into the same isolated power supply as the amps. Often I set it up by the workstation when recording. The board has a very effective, high quality buffer so I can run long cables back to the switcher without high frequency loss.

7TVIKPg.jpg

The workstation is the key to my rig. I can MIDI switch from here, and set up the pedalboard here when recording. There are mic preamps installed in shelving under the keyboard on the left. Because deadlines in my business have gotten absurdly short (when do you need it...oh, yesterday?), and I often have to recall mixes for client changes to their picture instantly (if not sooner), sadly, everything's pretty much done 'in the box' now. If not, I couldn't meet the client needs. I got rid of much of the analog recording gear ten years ago. I was beating my head against the wall recalling mixes and settings too often.

kO7IzbU.jpg

So that's it. My rig, such as things are in Studio Craptastic! ;)

I had a 2001 singlecut that looked just like that, but the burst was tobacco. I still miss that guitar.
How do you like the Kemper?
Yeah, the older SCs are mighty.
The Kemper is a killer unit for numerous applications. For me (in a cover band) the versatility is fantastic especially with the foot controller. Perfectly portable, and consistent in any venue.
At home and for recording it fits the bill wonderfully as well.
It'll happily run into my recording interface mono or stereo with my powered monitors, a standard guitar cab, FRFR, or the Kemper Kab.
Love it.
Love my 3 tube amps too.

The Kabinet has a Kone in it...
You could put a the Kemper in a battery powered Kamper with the Kab, the Kone, a Klon Klone, and a Knife, and have a great time kamping near Kalamazoo or Kalkaska.

Not that I Know much about Kempers, Klon Klones, Kones, or Kabs, but I do have a Knice pocket Knife, and Kalamazoo and Kalkaska are only a few hours away.

I'd like to say more, but I have to mess with a sample library in Kontakt and my NI Komplete software suite. I'm thinking of buying their Komplete Kontrol midi controller, too.

Last edited:
You could put a the Kemper in a battery powered Kamper with the Kab, the Kone, a Klon Klone, and a Knife, and have a great time kamping near Kalamazoo or Kalkaska.

Not that I Know much about Kempers, Klon Klones, Kones, or Kabs, but I do have a Knice pocket Knife, and Kalamazoo and Kalkaska are only a few hours away.

I'd like to say more, but I have to mess with a sample library in Kontakt and my NI Komplete software suite. I'm thinking of buying their Komplete Kontrol midi controller, too.

InKuiring minds want to Know.
What brand and model are the Knice pocKet Knife?

InKuiring minds want to Know.
What brand and model are the Knice pocKet Knife?
I kind of became addicted to this brand of what's called 'EDC' (every day carry), but it's just nice stuff to throw into my backpack with my med supplies and the other crap I have to drag around to maintain my existence.

Alembic Further or various PRS into MX5 pedal into 3 random Looper pedals split to a Motion Sound Pro and Bose F1 812 - F1 Sub system respectively. I can be heard for quite a distance!

I have pictures because OP is see your rig, I'll need a little time!!

Back