Let's see those modded PRS's

Leave the pickups. Different doesn’t mean better. I put Hipshot open back locking tuners on mine. I love them, and they’re USA made.
Yes, I read somewhere that Paul designed a set and asked the Korean company making SE's to replicate them, apparently he was very pleased with the results!

Do you know what magnets they have?

Thank you for the advice, I will have a look at the Hipshot's!

Sorry, I have no idea. My rule is don’t touch it if I like it. Look for the slick soap bar thread if you want to see the final result.

If I recall correctly from the SE Soapbar I had years ago, you have to be careful with swapping the P90s anyway as the pickup route is on the shallow side (at least the neck position), so a deeper P90 will not fit.

Guitar 12: S2 Standard 24

Another perfectly good guitar, but I had a vision.
  • Suhr Thornbucker+ set. Love these pickups. Such great clarity and dynamics.
  • CTS push/pull pots for splits w/ resistors. THE best push/pull pots.
  • Switchcraft switch and jack
  • Mojotone Vitamin T 0.01uf cap. Figured I'd try a PIO cap to see if it matters. It probably doesn't.
  • All that mounted to a custom guard from Quick Guards with a toggle instead of the blade and smaller, rounded pickup routs
  • And a Hipshot trem arm. Was surprised it fit, since it's thicker like the Core arm.
0hcUPfeh.jpg

CE22's are great, I had one with a blue flame top in the 90's.

My 2002 CE-22. I swapped out the Dragon IIs for a set of Suhr Thornbuckers, the Phase IIs for a set of Hipshot locking tuners with tombstone buttons, replaced the rotary with a proper 3-way toggle and threw on a pair of lampshade knobs.

TmfqEMq.jpg

mKwBUG6.jpg

rf4f5Fa.jpg

VgYHBEB.jpg

My 2002 CE-22. I swapped out the Dragon IIs for a set of Suhr Thornbuckers, the Phase IIs for a set of Hipshot locking tuners with tombstone buttons, replaced the rotary with a proper 3-way toggle and threw on a pair of lampshade knobs.
VgYHBEB.jpg
Nice mod. I notice that the Hipshot lockers look like direct replacement for PRS's discontinued Phase 2 tuners. What model is that Hipshot set?

Nice mod. I notice that the Hipshot lockers look like direct replacement for PRS's discontinued Phase 2 tuners. What model is that Hipshot set?

The link below is for the correct mounting hole placement but I can't find any listings for 3x3 in nickel that match, which is what mine are. This is the seller that I've gotten all of my Hipshot sets from and I know that they've offered to make custom sets for buyers in the past (mixed colors, different buttons, etc). It's always worth asking them if you're interested.

https://reverb.com/item/30308236-ne...ler-mini-style-locking-m6-keys-set-3x3-chrome

The body style, practicality of the pickguard, and understated looks definitely have an appeal! The metallic finish gives it that extra lil sumpin.

Those pickups cranked the clarity and dynamics way up from the 85/15 S pickups. I have the bridge pickup splitting to slug, which isn't my favorite sound, but with both pickups split, the middle position has a really nice quack to it. I find the controls much smoother and nicer to operate. This is my new Swiss Army Knife guitar.

The link below is for the correct mounting hole placement but I can't find any listings for 3x3 in nickel that match, which is what mine are. This is the seller that I've gotten all of my Hipshot sets from and I know that they've offered to make custom sets for buyers in the past (mixed colors, different buttons, etc). It's always worth asking them if you're interested.

https://reverb.com/item/30308236-ne...ler-mini-style-locking-m6-keys-set-3x3-chrome
Hipshot lockers in M6 Mini style? Never heard of this before. Thanks a lot!

SE Bernie modded with a Mannmade 2300 bridge, Gotoh locking tuners, Bare Knuckle Mules and push-pull CTS pots for coil splits on each volume and phase on the tone. Knobs from my Les Paul Classic.
d81DWxx.jpg

SE SVN with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, 5 way super switch for the same switching options as a core Cu24, black lampshades and a Hipshot bridge. The Hipshot made such a drastic difference to the acoustic tone, highly recommend it for other SVN users.
rW2e4ED.jpg

SE Bernie modded with a Mannmade 2300 bridge, Gotoh locking tuners, Bare Knuckle Mules and push-pull CTS pots for coil splits on each volume and phase on the tone. Knobs from my Les Paul Classic.
d81DWxx.jpg

SE SVN with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, 5 way super switch for the same switching options as a core Cu24, black lampshades and a Hipshot bridge. The Hipshot made such a drastic difference to the acoustic tone, highly recommend it for other SVN users.
rW2e4ED.jpg
Bernie's rock! And the top on the SVN is bonkers!

Back