tgnxB2D.jpg

WqR3Ozt.jpg

2AH9bQ5.jpg

9dqF1qB.jpg

EiQ5F3f.jpg

7vjp2mt.jpg

There’s more somewhere around here...

Guitar 6: S2 Singlecut Standard

I found the stock pickups too dark and didn't like the stock volume pots, so in went Suhr Thornbuckers and core PRS volume pots w/treble bleeds. The Thornbuckers are some of my favorite pickups. Lower output with sweet highs and scooped mids on the neck, while the bridge has just enough oomph while staying balanced.

Y7DRDUdh.jpg

It ended up neglected after I bought my 594, so to spice things up, I converted it to P-90's with series and out of phase switches on the push/pulls. That was fun. The guitar sounded dark overall, so a set of underwound P-90's brightened it up nicely. I think they were Artec.

NQmHSZzh.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I recently joined the forum, thanks for having me!

I'd love to see what mods people are doing to their guitars and how they feel about the changes. Here's mine:

My #1 is a 2010 DC-3. I love the neck, playability and resonance, but didn't bond with the original pickups. I replaced the pickguard with one that can accommodate standard size single coils, and put in a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker in the bridge and Manlius single coils in the middle and neck. To me, the guitar sounds like a killer Strat now and I'm very happy that I went through with the change.

What did you do?

Tell us about your rig. What amp are you playing through? Pedals? HOw did you capture the recorded tone? I really like the funky, edge of breakup, quacky tone.

Looks great with the P90's

Guitar 6: S2 Singlecut Standard

I found the stock pickups too dark and didn't like the stock volume pots, so in went Suhr Thornbuckers and core PRS volume pots w/treble bleeds. The Thornbuckers are some of my favorite pickups. Lower output with sweet highs and scooped mids on the neck, while the bridge has just enough oomph while staying balanced.

Y7DRDUdh.jpg

It ended up neglected after I bought my 594, so to spice things up, I converted it to P-90's with series and out of phase switches on the push/pulls. That was fun. The guitar sounded dark overall, so a set of underwound P-90's brightened it up nicely. I think they were Artec.

NQmHSZzh.jpg

Thanks!

In the video I'm playing through an Atomic Amplifire modeler straight into Reaper on my mac. I'm using a Friedman BE preset that I shared on the Atomic forum here: http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/semi-dirty-friedman-be-preset.2784/
Live, I get a similar tone playing through the clean channel of a Friedman Runt 50, which is very Fender-y, boosted by either an Xotic BB or a RambleFX Marvel Drive set low.

Tell us about your rig. What amp are you playing through? Pedals? HOw did you capture the recorded tone? I really like the funky, edge of breakup, quacky tone.

Looks great with the P90's

Yeah there's just something so right about that style of guitar and P-90's.

Guitar 7: Custom 22

Stealth mod! This was when I devised my 8 tone wiring so I could get the same coil combos as guitars with separate coil taps. Added a push/pull pot and did some reconfiguring of the stock switch. The 85/15's tap sooo well with the resistor wiring. Adds a ton of versatility and makes it a great "do everything" guitar.

Jds0QPMh.jpg

Stealth mod! This was when I devised my 8 tone wiring so I could get the same coil combos as guitars with separate coil taps. Added a push/pull pot and did some reconfiguring of the stock switch. The 85/15's tap sooo well with the resistor wiring. Adds a ton of versatility and makes it a great "do everything" guitar.

Jds0QPMh.jpg
I had to look twice at the top to realize that cool look was a reflection of the deck.

Last edited:
Guitar 8: SE Custom 24 7-String

Did a pretty good overhaul on this one. Bone nut, pearloid tuner buttons, SD Pegasus and Sentient pickups, core volume, CTS push/pull tone, super switch for my 8 tone switching. Lampshades, of course. Took steel wool to the neck. Really fun guitar. With those pickups and switching you really can do everything from chugga chugga to jazz and country on it.

kMnmkLoh.jpg

N6z1D2ul.jpg

Jds0QPMh.jpg

I had too look twice at the top to realize that cool look was a reflection of the deck.

^What he said^

Great perspective in the reflection!

Small modifications to my MEV’s. I like these black chromed volume and tone knobs with shell inlays by Q-parts. Dragons fire breath burst has red abalone And green one has green pearl inlay. Matches the guitar tops very nice as a touch of elegance. Also on the green one I installed Mann Black Nickel saddles.

dk1RDXl.jpg
QuOP7KZ.jpg
QnAqsnI.jpg
epqak2j.jpg

I love those crome knobs. Getting ready to order my first PRS and I think I'll have to put some of those on there.

Guitar 9: SE One (second one I've owned)

This is the gutsiest mod I've done. Inspired by a couple of Hans' One mods. The One is already a killer guitar model bone stock. P-90's never seem to work for me, and bodia set me up with a Brent Mason Treble pickup, so I bought this guitar specifically to modify. It came to me with a DiMarzio VP90 pickup (been there, done that) and a new nut (bone, plastic, not sure).

I hacked out the control rout to make room for a tone control and did a bit of crude modification to the pickup cavity to accommodate the new pickup. It got a core volume pot, .033uf cap, and a push/pull tone to control the taps. This turned the guitar into a complete beast. I originally thought it would just be a rocker, but turns out it's great for blues and other styles, too. The Mason pickup has a great classic sound to it, but with great tightness and balance.

Later on I put on a set of John Mann's metric studs. These fit the wells better and much, much tighter fit on the bridge. John always makes great stuff.

I then tweaked the controls a little. The .033uf cap was a mud machine, so I changed it to .01uf which puts it in a nice honky midrange zone at the bottom of the pot. I wasn't happy with the push/pull being so close to that pickguard screw, so I changed over to an on/on mini toggle for the taps.

Then on went a set of the PRS SE locking tuners. The guitar was fine without locking tuners, but these are very well made keys that really finish out the look and I always appreciate the ease of locking keys.

The cherry on top, christened by the man himself.
jkunCHyh.jpg

1HEHn6th.jpg

RRCOnghh.jpg

This is the gutsiest mod I've done. Inspired by a couple of Hans' One mods. The One is already a killer guitar model bone stock. P-90's never seem to work for me, and bodia set me up with a Brent Mason Treble pickup, so I bought this guitar specifically to modify. It came to me with a DiMarzio VP90 pickup (been there, done that) and a new nut (bone, plastic, not sure).

I hacked out the control rout to make room for a tone control and did a bit of crude modification to the pickup cavity to accommodate the new pickup. It got a core volume pot, .033uf cap, and a push/pull tone to control the taps. This turned the guitar into a complete beast. I originally thought it would just be a rocker, but turns out it's great for blues and other styles, too. The Mason pickup has a great classic sound to it, but with great tightness and balance.

Later on I put on a set of John Mann's metric studs. These fit the wells better and much, much tighter fit on the bridge. John always makes great stuff.

I then tweaked the controls a little. The .033uf cap was a mud machine, so I changed it to .01uf which puts it in a nice honky midrange zone at the bottom of the pot. I wasn't happy with the push/pull being so close to that pickguard screw, so I changed over to an on/on mini toggle for the taps.

Then on went a set of the PRS SE locking tuners. The guitar was fine without locking tuners, but these are very well made keys that really finish out the look and I always appreciate the ease of locking keys.

jkunCHyh.jpg

1HEHn6th.jpg

RRCOnghh.jpg

Damn, Garrett! That is gorgeous! Great job.

jkunCHyh.jpg

1HEHn6th.jpg

RRCOnghh.jpg
Love this One.

Back