Let's see those modded PRS's

Guitar 4: Tremonti SE

This one came to me like this:

bX40FEDl.jpg

NmST0yul.jpg

Someone had already installed USA Tremonti pickups, which is a really cool set in a Singlecut. I found them a bit unbalanced, but in a good way when you have two volumes. With the bridge volume rolled down, the guitar had a classic single cutaway grunt, but turning up the bridge pickup was like having an extra gear for solos.

I installed a spare SE bridge I happened to have and put on some cream plastics to match the binding. The headstock was colored over with Sharpie, so that cleaned right up with a little elbow grease.

HgPWYahh.jpg

Wshcqrjh.jpg

My modded PRSi kind of fall into three categories....

1) Invisible Mods:

ZMSE with #7’s, coil splits on volume P/P, series/Parallel on Bridge P/P tone, phase on neck P/P tone (JP wiring)
v6hyQtV.jpg

HB 2 AP: Piezo bridge to piezo out only (use piezo volume control to turn on/off), piezo minitoggle converted to coil split for bridge, coil split for neck on P/P mag Vol knob.
9DVvQ6x.jpg

P24...Pickups changed to 85/15...with “Skitchy Mod”...P/P on tone knob splits both humbuckers allowing 3 single coil only settings not available on the standard 5 way (ie the “missing” 408 settings).
OghlUeD.jpg

Last edited:
2) “Subtle” Mods

The “Brent Monster”:
Wide 408 in bridge position, bridge narrow 408 moved to middle (replacing 305), minitoggles for splitting of all 3 pickups, “add-neck” switch on P/P tone to allow neck/bridge and all three.
5Gh3PxI.jpg

NF3: replaced bridge NF with wide 408, minitoggles for split bridge 408, add neck pickup, and “blower” switch (bridge pickup, bypassed tone and volume direct to output jack).
hfKFnOI.jpg

Cool mods. How do the Brent Mason and the NF3 compare?

2) “Subtle” Mods

The “Brent Monster”:
Wide 408 in bridge position, bridge narrow 408 moved to middle (replacing 305), minitoggles for splitting of all 3 pickups, “add-neck” switch on P/P tone to allow neck/bridge and all three.
5Gh3PxI.jpg

NF3: replaced bridge NF with wide 408, minitoggles for split bridge 408, add neck pickup, and “blower” switch (bridge pickup, bypassed tone and volume direct to output jack).
hfKFnOI.jpg

Guitar 5: 2002 Hollowbody II

I played this guitar mostly stock for a long time. Didn't take too long to get a bone nut installed, though. Couple things bugged me: the neck pickup was a bit woofy for my taste and the volume pot lacked a treble bleed.

I snagged a used set of Lollar Low Winds. The neck pickup still lacked the clarity I wanted, so I ditched the Lollars and did a magnet swap to A5 on the neck McCarty Archtop pickup. That along with a 220pf cap on the volume was the magic combo. The neck pickup was nice and open, the overall guitar sounded clean, but could get mean with gain.

It had the early steel PRS adjustable stoptail, so a John Mann 2300 gave the tone a final smoothing. Modern core rings and lampshades finished off the look.

J5NR7r4h.jpg

2) “Subtle” Mods

The “Brent Monster”:
5Gh3PxI.jpg

hfKFnOI.jpg

The light bulb reflection on the burst's horn looks like a selector knob!! Did a double-take.

Where is the white rabbit?

And, back in the day, there were several folks that did some cool SAS mods. S-S-H, etc.

I didn’t post a pic because my only mod is 57/08’s in my McTrem.

Where is the white rabbit?

And, back in the day, there were several folks that did some cool SAS mods. S-S-H, etc.

I didn’t post a pic because my only mod is 57/08’s in my McTrem.
And the Raven. @]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

My mods frequently don’t look like mods...
onewings1.jpg

Let’s see if anyone sees anything different here...

seonepedalboard.jpg

Dig that One! Very cool. Wings, a mini, and a stacked pot (volume and tone?). And a nice stop tail!

Last edited:
Back