Let's see those modded PRS's

Holy Crap! You are a brave soul.

Paging @justmund You are needed to share some experiences with this thread! (I'm being selfish--I just want to see at the 3 pup madness again!)

I have 2 projects to present.

My Mod #1
My recent mod project is SE SVN refinished in metallic white loaded with Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat pups. The factory blade switch has been swapped out for a 5 way Super Switch without Tone connected. The stock cheap Alpha Volume pot has been replaced with CTS 500k. The tuners are custom-ordered Gotoh SG381 with black buttons. The creme pickup rings were wrapped with carbon fiber sticker with non-professional hands, hahaha.
This is 2nd mod for this guitar, and more changes to come in the future.

lT2HDtZ.jpg

DteCKap.jpg

KEcfF9z.jpg

SlVcB3e.jpg

LgEhpKZ.jpg

My Mod #2
My previously done mod project is my Modern Eagle Quatro. It has been 'trimmed' the chunky Pattern rosewood neck shape down by almost 3 millimeters for extreme comfortability, also the bulky neck heel has been cleared out for better access.
The dark, low output 53/10 really didn't fit my preference so I sold them and bought a set of Bare Knuckle Aftermath - it's the best pickups I've ever used in my life so far.
Currently the stock bridge has been replaced with Paul's Guitar bridge for a bit of highs increment, but sorry for not having a full body shot.

WylJ5fl.jpg

kPzVmA7.jpg

lJIvxnW.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

3 millimetres is quite a lot to remove from a rear radius, brave indeed!

Doesn’t sound like a lot to the uninitiated, but that truss rod channel can be mighty close to the back of the neck.

Great work.

3 millimetres is quite a lot to remove from a rear radius, brave indeed!

Doesn’t sound like a lot to the uninitiated, but that truss rod channel can be mighty close to the back of the neck.

Great work.
Thanks!
To be honest, I initially planned that I wouldn't go beyond 2 mils to make it similar to Pattern Thin shape. But I accidentally went too deep on some spots, so I decided (with deep breathes) to slowly grade the neck down to about 1 mil further LOL.

Guitar 1: 1998 Custom 24

Surely the most common mod done to guitars of the era. Replaced the rotary with three-way toggle and push/pull. I had it set to make inside coils active so I could keep the quack option in the middle position. Like many, I found the rotary terrible for live situations. The toggle suited me much better.

hPLBxXDh.jpg

Thanks!
To be honest, I initially planned that I wouldn't go beyond 2 mils to make it similar to Pattern Thin shape. But I accidentally went too deep on some spots, so I decided (with deep breathes) to slowly grade the neck down to about 1 mil further LOL.

Extra props to you!

I have 2 projects to present....
My Mod #2
My previously done mod project is my Modern Eagle Quatro. It has been 'trimmed' the chunky Pattern rosewood neck shape down by almost 3 millimeters for extreme comfortability, also the bulky neck heel has been cleared out for better access.
The dark, low output 53/10 really didn't fit my preference so I sold them and bought a set of Bare Knuckle Aftermath - it's the best pickups I've ever used in my life so far.
Currently the stock bridge has been replaced with Paul's Guitar bridge for a bit of highs increment, but sorry for not having a full body shot.

WylJ5fl.jpg

kPzVmA7.jpg

lJIvxnW.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

You took a dremel to a modern eagle quattro, and won. Looks amazing!

My "Darth Paul"... a mod'ed S2 Standard 22.

It now has the following:
DiMarzio D-Activator X bridge and neck
Schaller Megaswitch "T"
Emerson Pro CTS 1meg volume pot
C&K USA DPDT Mini Toggle Switches
Geesatis Open Black Humbucker Covers
CTS 250k SPST Split Shaft Push/Pull Pot
Pure Tone Jack (double contact)
PRS/Mann Vibrato Bridge (black nickel bridge with plain nickel saddles)
Custom anodized look pickguard by WD Music Instruments, Inc.
Ebony tuner buttons from Stew Mac

Looks great. Is that the original tremolo arm?

My "Darth Paul"... a mod'ed S2 Standard 22.

It now has the following:
DiMarzio D-Activator X bridge and neck
Schaller Megaswitch "T"
Emerson Pro CTS 1meg volume pot
C&K USA DPDT Mini Toggle Switches
Geesatis Open Black Humbucker Covers
CTS 250k SPST Split Shaft Push/Pull Pot
Pure Tone Jack (double contact)
PRS/Mann Vibrato Bridge (black nickel bridge with plain nickel saddles)
Custom anodized look pickguard by WD Music Instruments, Inc.
Ebony tuner buttons from Stew Mac

Hi Everyone,

I recently joined the forum, thanks for having me!

I'd love to see what mods people are doing to their guitars and how they feel about the changes. Here's mine:

My #1 is a 2010 DC-3. I love the neck, playability and resonance, but didn't bond with the original pickups. I replaced the pickguard with one that can accommodate standard size single coils, and put in a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker in the bridge and Manlius single coils in the middle and neck. To me, the guitar sounds like a killer Strat now and I'm very happy that I went through with the change.

What did you do?

Oh man that sounds really freakin good!!!!

I just swapped out my various PRS guitars with various Bare Knuckle pickups. For example:

1) 2004 CE-24 with C-bomb/Cold Sweat:

2) 2011 Custom 24 with Painkillers:

3) 2008 Custom 24 with a Super 3 at the time of this upload below with my aforementioned CE-24, but now with Holy Divers:

I also modified my amp from a cosmetic point of view with Black Taurus tolex to match my MESA, a name badge with my name on it, and a red LED light soldered in place of the stock green ones.

Hi Everyone,

I recently joined the forum, thanks for having me!

I'd love to see what mods people are doing to their guitars and how they feel about the changes. Here's mine:

My #1 is a 2010 DC-3. I love the neck, playability and resonance, but didn't bond with the original pickups. I replaced the pickguard with one that can accommodate standard size single coils, and put in a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker in the bridge and Manlius single coils in the middle and neck. To me, the guitar sounds like a killer Strat now and I'm very happy that I went through with the change.

What did you do?

Ima Stealin every lick!!! I'll leave you the guitar cause, well, I'm not that kind of crook...;-)

Guitar 2: SE Soapbar II

Grover 406 tuners. Served me well. I liked the locking action and smooth operation.
Bone nut - really didn't notice a difference.
Pots upgraded to CTS - I seem to remember that improving the sound a bit
Tonepros locking studs - Felt more resonant, no real impact to amplified tone, but at least the bridge wouldn't fall off
Pickup rabbit hole: Vintage Vibe; DiMarzio DLX90/VP90; vintage Bill Lawrence L560/550; Kent Armstrong HP-90s. Ultimately decided the original SE pickups were a great fit for that guitar.

Here it is when I had the Bill Lawrence pickups in it. Looked really cool, but those pickups were loud as hell. Of course I modded the One as well. Then sold it. Then bought another One and modded it in a big way.

lUnTvpGh.jpg

Guitar 3: SE One

Didn't go too crazy on this one.

Grover 406
Bone nut
CTS 250k pot - always prefer these over the Alpha pots. 250k tamed the high end since there's no load from a tone control.
Tried both the neck and bridge versions of the Kent Armstrong HP90s, but both were just too polite. Again, the stock SE P-90 was a great fit.

xlzq39qh.jpg

Small modifications to my MEV’s. I like these black chromed volume and tone knobs with shell inlays by Q-parts. Dragons fire breath burst has red abalone And green one has green pearl inlay. Matches the guitar tops very nice as a touch of elegance. Also on the green one I installed Mann Black Nickel saddles.

dk1RDXl.jpg
QuOP7KZ.jpg
QnAqsnI.jpg
epqak2j.jpg

Back