Let's see those modded PRS's

@Bolt-on Dumb question but, was the project a complete refinishing the 24? At first when I looked at the photos I thought you'd replaced a blade with a newly drilled hole for a toggle or something.

I’m interested to know how you removed the lacquer and stain.
I used a pretty harsh remover (think it was Circa) but it got to a point where I had to sand...and sand some more...which was a little hard on the nerves with all the contours on it, fun but not fun :)

I used a pretty harsh remover (think it was Circa) but it got to a point where I had to sand...and sand some more...which was a little hard on the nerves with all the contours on it, fun but not fun :)

I was assuming you must have used something pretty strong, as I remember a PRS paint removal video from you tube and the guy had a hard time taking the body back to natural.

It’s a testament to the strength of the finish that is used.

You did some really careful sanding work. Keeping those PRS carves was a work of art.

complete
h7Raamve_o.jpg

7OXqxB7o_o.jpg

O9p7mugn_o.jpg
Nice!

I was assuming you must have used something pretty strong, as I remember a PRS paint removal video from you tube and the guy had a hard time taking the body back to natural.

It’s a testament to the strength of the finish that is used.

You did some really careful sanding work. Keeping those PRS carves was a work of art.

Thanks :) I've done some guitar bodies prior but nothing like that one, the finish is like tank armor and once I got to the stain removal the sanding was a very,very long careful process and to be honest, I'd still be nervous doing another one lol

Thanks :) I've done some guitar bodies prior but nothing like that one, the finish is like tank armor and once I got to the stain removal the sanding was a very,very long careful process and to be honest, I'd still be nervous doing another one lol

Yeah the YT video guy had a heck of a job!

I can only imagine that your heart rate was up, keeping those contours!

As I said, great work.

Did you get this project finished up? Curious to see the results.

I’m very curious if it’s done yet, how does it sound?

i couldn’t decide on pickup rings so it’s in hot rod mode for now. the 5-way is stock wiring with the bridge moved into the middle, and the idea is to add a mini knob between volume and tone knobs to blend the rear 5-way with the (currently wired to the middle position with gator clips) twanger single coil. anyway, it looks like this:

double-double.JPG

‘double rotary? are you kidding me?’ no i ain’t.

i couldn’t decide on pickup rings so it’s in hot rod mode for now. the 5-way is stock wiring with the bridge moved into the middle, and the idea is to add a mini knob between volume and tone knobs to blend the rear 5-way with the (currently wired to the middle position with gator clips) twanger single coil. anyway, it looks like this:

double-double.JPG

‘double rotary? are you kidding me?’ no i ain’t.

Looking good. Cool cat!

Reactions: jxe
Back