Let's see those McCarty's (All variants)

I'd really like to try that neck.
Kind of like a metal-smooth version of a rosewood neck, if you will...
FKrujau.jpg

Last edited:
If I may add... for me, it's the neck profile. I much prefer the older Pattern (or Wide-Fat) neck profile compared to the newer Pattern Vintage that's specifically on the 594 models.

Additionally, aren't the 594 bodies even thicker than the traditional/older McCarty bodies? (Yes, the single-cuts are thicker than the double-cuts; but aren't the 594 double-cuts even thicker than the McCarty-model double cuts?) There's something about the original McCarty body/weight that makes it super comfortable, lightweight, etc. (Easily less than 8 lb. guitars.)

So this comment made me feel a lot better about the purchase of my first McCarty. I have several LP's by both gibson and epiphone, they are all so heavy I don't like taking them off the wall if I'm not doing something like recording with them. I also have a lone 2006(ish) PRS SE Singlecut which is the same 2 knob control and wrap stop tail. It's so much thinner and lighter than my expensive gibsons and it gets the most play and practice time.

I finally ponied up the cash to buy a real one because my main concern was comfort. I was struggling with the added weight and thickness of the 594 because I didn't want to buy another guitar and still play my cheap SE model. I wanted a daily driver. So I skipped the 594 and went for the Core McCarty. The SE version is comfortable and easy to play, but sounds not as great. Hoping the true core mccarty sounds a lot better. Its in the mail!

Back before I owned any PRS let alone core models I fell in in love with the McCarty SC245 but couldn't afford one, then they released the Bernie Marsden SE and my love for all things PRS followed.

Over the years I've owned a few SE's a S2 Vela and 4 core models (the 2 McCarty's at the start of this thread) plus a 01 standard 22 & 06 CE-24 Mahogany. When the 594 SC came out I was excited to try one but couldn't get on with the neck shape, earlier this year I picked up a second 2011Bernie Marsden SE in immaculate condition just as PRS released the McCarty 594 "Joe Walsh" and this got me thinkng. I scored a set of McCarty pickups from a 2000 model and a core tailpice off ebay and replaced the tuner with Gotoh SD-90's and created a Bernie/McCarty SC245 hybrid.

51558452990_27f4bb7588_o.jpg

51223461379_fb6776f03d_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back