Let's see those McCarty's (All variants)

You can't go wrong with a McCarty. I prefer the originals over the 594 but I still have both. Lots of great examples on this thread.
I'm curious what you prefer about original mc over 594. And yes, whatever you say mat in fact fuel my gas....

I'm curious what you prefer about original mc over 594. And yes, whatever you say mat in fact fuel my gas....

For me it's the scale length. The typical Fender scale length of 25.5" feels like home to me. The regular McCarty, while shorter, doesn't really feel that off. The 594 makes me play with a much lighter touch so I don't bend everything sharp. I can do it but it's not my preference. That being said, I think the 594 is a fantastic guitar. I even bought a Private Stock version of it so I'm still a fan.

One other thing that I really like about the regular McCarty is the pure simplicity of it. A wraptail non adjustable bridge and a couple of knobs just works for me. It's a classic as far as I'm concerned.

For me it's the scale length. The typical Fender scale length of 25.5" feels like home to me. The regular McCarty, while shorter, doesn't really feel that off. The 594 makes me play with a much lighter touch so I don't bend everything sharp. I can do it but it's not my preference. That being said, I think the 594 is a fantastic guitar. I even bought a Private Stock version of it so I'm still a fan.

One other thing that I really like about the regular McCarty is the pure simplicity of it. A wraptail non adjustable bridge and a couple of knobs just works for me. It's a classic as far as I'm concerned.

If I may add... for me, it's the neck profile. I much prefer the older Pattern (or Wide-Fat) neck profile compared to the newer Pattern Vintage that's specifically on the 594 models.

Additionally, aren't the 594 bodies even thicker than the traditional/older McCarty bodies? (Yes, the single-cuts are thicker than the double-cuts; but aren't the 594 double-cuts even thicker than the McCarty-model double cuts?) There's something about the original McCarty body/weight that makes it super comfortable, lightweight, etc. (Easily less than 8 lb. guitars.)

If I may add... for me, it's the neck profile. I much prefer the older Pattern (or Wide-Fat) neck profile compared to the newer Pattern Vintage that's specifically on the 594 models.

Additionally, aren't the 594 bodies even thicker than the traditional/older McCarty bodies? (Yes, the single-cuts are thicker than the double-cuts; but aren't the 594 double-cuts even thicker than the McCarty-model double cuts?) There's something about the original McCarty body/weight that makes it super comfortable, lightweight, etc. (Easily less than 8 lb. guitars.)

I have no idea about the body thickness but I do agree about the neck shape. The traditional McCarty has the right neck carve for my comfort. My #1 McCarty is a Brazilian Limited model with a rosewood neck so it's a little on the fancy end of the spectrum for the model. It's got a Raspberry finish which is too dark to show off the nice flame maple top but it sure feels good to play. The way it hangs on a strap just works. Every McCarty I've picked up feels the same way. I'd also go out on a limb and say they're about the best used value out there. One of these days I'll get around to trying the current version. I'm not certain how the guitar could have been improved but I'm curious to find out.

Yes, the 594 body is thicker than the original McCarty. Also the belly cut is minimal.

The Pattern Vintage neck shape is heavenly to me.

I think I'll have to show mine some love tonight.

T7Uv8ZGl.jpg

My number one and number two tone champs are all McCarty!

Back