Let's Say....

I love my guitars, but I have loved my dogs more. So, I'd give the dog hell and just fix it or live with it. Guitars do not give unconditional love. Now, I don't have any $3K + guitars nowadays, but that is just my priorities. I do understand your anger and pain.

I would play it with the ding until after the private stock build, then send it to PTC.

Depends on how bad the damage is.

If it doesn't affect my playing, meh.

If it's bad, I'd be most likely to have it repaired locally. Faster and cheaper.

If it's really bad, I guess I'd bite the bullet and send to PTC. Or possibly sell it at a discount if I wasn't particularly attached to it.

Okay, there are a couple of answers here:
1) keep saving and order the ps
2) leave that guitar alone. If it's cosmetic, and not creating any playability issues, then you've got something cool to hand the kid in 10 or 12 years, and a good story to go with it. Pat the dog on the head, hug the kid and kiss the wife. Write it off as a life lesson.

2) leave that guitar alone. If it's cosmetic, and not creating any playability issues, then you've got something cool to hand the kid in 10 or 12 years, and a good story to go with it.

Bingo!

"Here, son, I want to give you something that can help you find the answers you're looking for at this important time of your life. I've had this guitar for years, and it's been with me through thick and thin, good times and bad. Much like me, it's had good times and bad, and shows some scars from the things that have marked it over the years. I'm giving it to you in the hopes that it will do for you what it's done for me - lift your spirits when you're sad, give you a way to work out your frustrations and anxieties, and raise your voice to express the deepest feelings from your soul.

"It also explains why your mom is no longer around."

I won't have finishes repaired anymore. The result has never been to my satisfaction and I'd rather leave the scars and tell their story... bodia is spot on here in his 2) suggestion!

Also, most guitars are much more fun when you finally stop treating them like raw eggs. My 25th McCarty is finally coming on tour with me and I've never enjoyed her more!

certainly and unfortunate incident, but most likely not your last. I'm slightly unclear as to the problem you're trying to solve. Are you looking for a gigging guitar?

My purpose was to decide between:

A - Picking up a different PRS to gig with while waiting for the repair
B - Getting by without a core PRS until the repair is done

I have been saving up for a Private Stock HBII build, which is making the decision difficult; buying a replacement will prolong the wait for the PS HBII.

My purpose was to decide between:

A - Picking up a different PRS to gig with while waiting for the repair
B - Getting by without a core PRS until the repair is done

I have been saving up for a Private Stock HBII build, which is making the decision difficult; buying a replacement will prolong the wait for the PS HBII.

i can't see option A being economically sound because you're likely to take a hit when you sell it.
option B would pain me because my gigging guitars are need in the sonic context of my band.

when you get your PS, will you gig it or lock it away from two-and four-footed monsters? If you're not going to gig your PS then the Cu will undoudtedly get more dings, dents, and scratches from gigging so i'd just come to terms with it and put the repair money toward the PS. hope this helps

I have a two and a little more than a half year old. I love my dog, but he was crazy destructive when he was a pup. He chewed our sectional down to the frame, however, knowing we were getting a puppy, we got a free one on craigslist. I couldn't imagine having a toddler and a puppy at the same time, but some of us are just gluttons for punishment. My music room now has a train set, other toys, and other messes. I keep a few decoy guitars out so he can bang around on them. My more valuable axes always go back in the case. I had a nice mic break, but that was my fault for keeping it out too often. Before you know it (two years) your lab will be chill as hell, and you wont have to worry about that stuff anymore, but your child will figure out how to get into anything, and the more locked up, the more enticing. Who knows what the future holds. If you end up with a PS, then I would advise you buy a walk in safe to accompany it.

Last edited:
i can't see option A being economically sound because you're likely to take a hit when you sell it.
option B would pain me because my gigging guitars are need in the sonic context of my band.

when you get your PS, will you gig it or lock it away from two-and four-footed monsters? If you're not going to gig your PS then the Cu will undoudtedly get more dings, dents, and scratches from gigging so i'd just come to terms with it and put the repair money toward the PS. hope this helps

With regards to Option A; I was going to keep the guitar! I really don't like to sell any gear. The only stuff I'll sell is stuff that I actually do not like to play in any context. I got an FMT Tele a couple of years ago thinking I could scratch the Les Paul itch, without needing a chiropractor, and I just hated that guitar. Eventually I sold it because I tried to go back and play it a few times over the course of a year, and it never sounded good or played well.

Option B is the whole reason for the question! I've become accustomed to the feel and sound of my Cu24 and don't want to play without it.

I'm going to play the PS axe! Every single day. I'm getting my daughter's footprints (she passed away shortly after being born in January) inlaid on the back, and it's going to be my way of having her with me through the times when I experience true joy! At home it will be locked up in my gun cabinet.

I have a two and a little more than a half year old. I love my dog, but he was crazy destructive when he was a pup. He chewed our sectional down to the frame, however, knowing we were getting a puppy, we got a free one on craigslist. I couldn't imagine having a toddler and a puppy at the same time, but some of us are just gluttons for punishment. My music room now has a train set, other toys, and other messes. I keep a few decoy guitars out so he can bang around on them. My more valuable axes always go back in the case. I had a nice mic break, but that was my fault for keeping it out too often. Before you know it (two years) your lab will be chill as hell, and you wont have to worry about that stuff anymore, but your child will figure out how to get into anything, and the more locked up, the more enticing. Who knows what the future holds. If you end up with a PS, then I would advise you buy a walk in safe to accompany it.

Ha! It's going in my gun safe!

It turns out the toddler was the offending party.... While accompanied by my wife. I'm pretty sure she put him up to it, or is simply throwing him under the bus!

Back