I would play it with the ding until after the private stock build, then send it to PTC.
2) leave that guitar alone. If it's cosmetic, and not creating any playability issues, then you've got something cool to hand the kid in 10 or 12 years, and a good story to go with it.
My purpose was to decide between:
A - Picking up a different PRS to gig with while waiting for the repair
B - Getting by without a core PRS until the repair is done
I have been saving up for a Private Stock HBII build, which is making the decision difficult; buying a replacement will prolong the wait for the PS HBII.
i can't see option A being economically sound because you're likely to take a hit when you sell it.
option B would pain me because my gigging guitars are need in the sonic context of my band.
when you get your PS, will you gig it or lock it away from two-and four-footed monsters? If you're not going to gig your PS then the Cu will undoudtedly get more dings, dents, and scratches from gigging so i'd just come to terms with it and put the repair money toward the PS. hope this helps
I have a two and a little more than a half year old. I love my dog, but he was crazy destructive when he was a pup. He chewed our sectional down to the frame, however, knowing we were getting a puppy, we got a free one on craigslist. I couldn't imagine having a toddler and a puppy at the same time, but some of us are just gluttons for punishment. My music room now has a train set, other toys, and other messes. I keep a few decoy guitars out so he can bang around on them. My more valuable axes always go back in the case. I had a nice mic break, but that was my fault for keeping it out too often. Before you know it (two years) your lab will be chill as hell, and you wont have to worry about that stuff anymore, but your child will figure out how to get into anything, and the more locked up, the more enticing. Who knows what the future holds. If you end up with a PS, then I would advise you buy a walk in safe to accompany it.