Let's Say....

squirrel211

Your wife allowed your 2.5 year old and new lab puppy entrance to your music room, and your still mint Custom 24 had a gouge taken out of the neck where the neck meets the fretboard.

After talking yourself off of the ledge, would you:

#1 - Just send it off to the PTC and hope they can work their magic; meanwhile playing your shows with guitars you simply would rather not play in order to keep your savings for your memorial private stock guitar

OR

#2 - Get a new DGT/Studio/P24/_______ that you were planning on purchasing AFTER the private stock build, so you can play your shows with a guitar that you enjoy playing?

It's a great thing that I discovered this while home at lunch, and not when the "culprits" were there!

Your wife allowed your 2.5 year old and new lab puppy entrance to your music room, and your still mint Custom 24 had a gouge taken out of the neck where the neck meets the fretboard.

#1 - Just send it off to the PTC and hope they can work their magic; meanwhile playing your shows with guitars you simply would rather not play in order to keep your savings for your memorial private stock guitar

OR

#2 - Get a new DGT/Studio/P24/_______ that you were planning on purchasing AFTER the private stock build, so you can play your shows with a guitar that you enjoy playing?

It's a great thing that I discovered this while home at lunch, and not when the "culprits" were there!

I'd sell my wife's car and shoe collection to buy me a new guitar...

Wow ....this sucks.. I don't know how I would react to that....

Buy the new DGT !!!

#1 - I learned a long time ago about lab puppies. They chew. I had an Irish setter when we got married, and he practically ate my sofa and speaker grills. He didn't do that again....
#2 - My house was built in the 30's, has door locks that require an old skeleton-type key, and I have the only key to my music room that gets locked when the grand kids (4, 3, & soon-to-be 2) come over.

Prevention is the only cure, and along with that: removal of temptation.

That is truly annoying. Hmm, I would do both #1 and #2, and make sure everyone understood what that might mean to the family finances...

btw, which kind of lab?

meth-lab_zps60vdmzdq.jpg

Last edited:
I trained my new Beagle puppy. I let her into a room where my Cu24 was setting on a stand. I watched as she played with stuff in the room and as she moved to the guitar and started sniffing, I growled and bit her like an Alpha dog would. Now she happily moves past any guitar and looks for a Kleenex box or something else to shred.

I trained my new Beagle puppy. I let her into a room where my Cu24 was setting on a stand. I watched as she played with stuff in the room and as she moved to the guitar and started sniffing, I growled and bit her like an Alpha dog would. Now she happily moves past any guitar and looks for a Kleenex box or something else to shred.

LOL, but it works!!!!

Maybe try to look at the positives in this. The dog didn't get hurt, you get a new guitar or ptc does a job in her. Might come back even better than new.....

Oh and the dog didn't pee in the case....omg worst smell to get out if at all....

My wife would know to hide to the offending doggy for a few days.
I haven't had a dog chew on a guitar, touch wood but I did have a Malamute (rescued dog ) that broke into a cage and ate (bottom half) of a $3000 hand reared parrot, I'm more a bird than a dog person.
I could have killed it on the spot, that wasn't its first victim but my brother stepped in and offered it a new home.

The wifey's shoes have to go. How else are they suppose to learn.

Actually thinking this through a bit more... Feed her shoes to the dog!

The PTC does an amazing job with finish repairs, seriously consider that option.

There are a lot of reasons why it's a good idea to keep a guitar in its case when you're not playing it.

I'm glad I'm allergic to dogs and cats so I'll never have to deal with the repercussions of shooting one for messing up my guitar. ;) I suppose you could shoot your wife, but that might not be worth the time you'll have to do.

Last edited:

Well, first of all, I'd stop referring to my wife as "it". And I'd give up on the idea of sending her to the PTC. They do great work, but they aren't miracle workers!

You do realize that a slash generally means "or", right? I think you need an ampersand there!

What I'd do is sit my wife down, show her the guitar and say, "You know with essentially an untamed beast in the house - and a puppy - you have to be careful. I know this is 'only' a guitar. But do you have any idea how upset I'd be if they'd taken a bite out of you instead? Hint - not as much as this."

These responses are hilarious!!!

I'm going to try and wing it on Saturday with some axes that I don't normally play, and after The PTC gets back to me tomorrow with an estimate for how long the repair will take, decide on whether to make a move on getting a new one now, or to wait and keep saving for the Private Stock one. I may even take advantage of one of the financing specials and do both!

Where's the pic? The wife, dog and guitar....that'll make it easier to decide which to take out to pasture. I kid, I kid! I mean, how bad is it? I might just gig it as is. On the other hand, there are times I wish I sent mine in. Yet, I never think about that while I'm playing it. Only when it's sitting there and I'm staring at it...at which point I ask myself why I'm staring at it instead of playing it?

Last edited:
My wife would know to hide to the offending doggy for a few days.
I haven't had a dog chew on a guitar, touch wood but I did have a Malamute (rescued dog ) that broke into a cage and ate (bottom half) of a $3000 hand reared parrot, I'm more a bird than a dog person.
I could have killed it on the spot, that wasn't its first victim but my brother stepped in and offered it a new home.

The wifey's shoes have to go. How else are they suppose to learn.

The Wife had a Lab/Golden mix that:

Chewed the frame off the kitchen door

The back door

The aluminum I used to cover the damage

Chewed through the garage wall into the kitchen

Jumped 5 1/2 feet through kitchen window from outside

The Pitbull:

Cut one of the rabbits in two with deep gouges on the lower torso(upper half missing)and was empty like a Pita pocket.

The second Lab/Golden:

Destroyed the side fences to the backyard

Chewed everything outside

Snatched a Parakeet in mid-flight(didn't like it anyway).

Since we have separate accounts, she'd have to pay.

One of our Shiba Inu's pissed on my PRS last weekend after I told the gf to leave the door to the music room closed because my guitars were out. I took a quick trip to stop & shop and was back in 30 mins. She then tried to blame it on me that I left the door open lol, if you know me Im a VERY thorough person so that wasn't the case. Anyways, he only got a few sprinkles on the top below the floyd,didn't get in any nooks or crannies, and it just required a cleaning but I still freaked out. Had he done real damage like chew one of them we would have had some real problems...

Back