Let’s talk nuts…..

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

PRS synthetic nut on the left, bone nut on the Orca (With Mann trem). Zero tuning issues with either. But I’m not very aggressive on using the trems. I remember discussing this issue with Nik on the Huber build, but he was ok with it when he learned I wasn’t trying to do crazy dive bombs. He did talk me into the 2 post term versus 6 screw Mann PRS version I originally ordered. But that’s a different topic :)
I am implore you to please comment on there to screw post Mann’s trem!! I’m curious what Nik said. OK with me to change topics and go back-and-forth between the two

Yeah I knew that would happen. Anytime you use the word “nuts” you open yourself up to middle school humor LOL But that’s OK. A little laughter is good for the soul. Nothing wrong with sprinkles in between the meat and potatoes of the subject. ;)
AP, some may be insulted by your post. I think some of these "nut posts" were at least Jr. High level humor, so "middle school" might hurt someones feelngs. I know personally, my wife often tells me I act like a teenager and I laugh. Even if she says "Jr. High" I snicker. But if she ever said "stop acting like you're in middle school" it would be on! I can't put up with that type of abuse, even from someone with such a nice... uh, personality. Yeah, that's the ticket.

AP, some may be insulted by your post. I think some of these "nut posts" were at least Jr. High level humor, so "middle school" might hurt someones feelngs. I know personally, my wife often tells me I act like a teenager and I laugh. Even if she says "Jr. High" I snicker. But if she ever said "stop acting like you're in middle school" it would be on! I can't put up with that type of abuse, even from someone with such a nice... uh, personality. Yeah, that's the ticket.
I resemble that comment!

Ahhhhhhhhh isn’t Jr. High, middle school? At least where I’m from it is…. And my wife has accused me of acting like I’m still in middle school. :p

Ahhhhhhhhh isn’t Jr. High, middle school? At least where I’m from it is…. And my wife has accused me of acting like I’m still in middle school. :p
Oh, see how this stuff happens? Where I'm from, middle school is grades 4-6. Junior High is grades 7-8. High School is 9-12.

I saw one place Jr High was 7-9, high school 10-12. And another where "middle school" was grades 5-8. This is how online bashing starts, as one mans Jr. High is another mans middle school, and 12 pages of Fakebook fighting later somebody has to call the cops to settle the whole thing down. And before it's all over, lifelong friends now hate each other. (which is why I'm not on Fakebook!)

That said, I try to always keep my level of humor at at least Jr. High, except about potty humor, and there I try to stay at least High School or above.

OK Oh, see how this stuff happens? Where I'm from, middle school is grades 4-6. Junior High is grades 7-8. High School is 9-12.

I saw one place Jr High was 7-9, high school 10-12. And another where "middle school" was grades 5-8. This is how online bashing starts, as one mans Jr. High is another mans middle school, and 12 pages of Fakebook fighting later somebody has to call the cops to settle the whole thing down. And before it's all over, lifelong friends now hate each other. (which is why I'm not on Fakebook!)

That said, I try to always keep my level of humor at at least Jr. High, except about potty humor, and there I try to stay at least High School or above.
OK so where I am from elementary school is K-5, middle school 6–8, high school is 9–12. So my immature level of humor is still stuck in middle school. Now that I know your timeline of schooling, I will try to keep that in mind to never insult you with “middle school”and only use “junior high”. LOL I mean it’s important to sort these details out !! :p LOL

I’ve seen your wife, she has more than a nice personality.

She has (to put up with) you.:eek:
Well yeah, but I can't say "she has a nice (this or that)" or, well, you know what would happen... :D

OK so where I am from elementary school is K-5, middle school 6–8, high school is 9–12. So my immature level of humor is still stuck in middle school. Now that I know your timeline of schooling, I will try to keep that in mind to never insult you with “middle school”and only use “junior high”. LOL I mean it’s important to sort these details out !! :p LOL
Oh no, don't change to suit me! Hey, we should make a song out of that. But I digress. I just meant on potty humor, I try to stay high school or above. You certainly don't have too... as evidenced by the behavior of certain individuals who will remain unmentioned at this juncture.

I am implore you to please comment on there to screw post Mann’s trem!! I’m curious what Nik said. OK with me to change topics and go back-and-forth between the two
Sorry, totally missed this - I haven’t been as active on the forum due to ongoing health problems.

Nik believes the setup and tuning stability is more reliable with the two post. Reading between the lines, 6posts are easier for a customer to mess up when changing setup or string gauge different from factory setup :) I was simply told this is one the the lessons he’s learned over time from experience. Personally, I haven’t had any issues with the PRS 6 post trem but I tend to use a luthier for any major setup adjustments.

Sorry, totally missed this - I haven’t been as active on the forum due to ongoing health problems.

Nik believes the setup and tuning stability is more reliable with the two post. Reading between the lines, 6posts are easier for a customer to mess up when changing setup or string gauge different from factory setup :) I was simply told this is one the the lessons he’s learned over time from experience. Personally, I haven’t had any issues with the PRS 6 post trem but I tend to use a luthier for any major setup adjustments.

Hope you’re ok?

Hope things are working out

Hope you’re ok?
Getting better, thank you!

A year ago (Nov 2021) I had Pericardial Effusion, courtesy of JNJ Covid shot. I was cleared last April and resumed physical activity, but on Aug 4th I had Pericardial Tamponade and nearly died from it (my heart was getting squeezed by the fluid build up and my heart rate kept spiking to 200 bpm despite simply sitting at the table eating lunch - had I still been doing yard work that might have been it!). I didn't have any 'real' symptoms like the first pericarditis event, just some strange neck tightness on a monthly basis that anti-inflammatories would clear up. I was scheduled for an endoscopy when Aug 4th happened...

Thankfully, I'm doing much better now due to prolonged rest and heart meds. I have another Echo on Wednesday and hope to receive the all clear again. Then, we'll need to do another one a few months from now after I resume physical activity again and see if the fluid builds up around my heart again - if so, it would confirm Chronic Pericarditis. Time will tell.

I've also been trying new meds for my vestibular migraine condition with my third neurologist. Starting to get some progress so maybe 2023 is the year I can work again? Been brutal the past 4 years, but grateful I'm still on the planet!

A year ago (Nov 2021) I had Pericardial Effusion, courtesy of JNJ Covid shot. I was cleared last April and resumed physical activity, but on Aug 4th I had Pericardial Tamponade and nearly died from it (my heart was getting squeezed by the fluid build up and my heart rate kept spiking to 200 bpm despite simply sitting at the table eating lunch - had I still been doing yard work that might have been it!). I didn't have any 'real' symptoms like the first pericarditis event, just some strange neck tightness on a monthly basis that anti-inflammatories would clear up. I was scheduled for an endoscopy when Aug 4th happened...

Thankfully, I'm doing much better now due to prolonged rest and heart meds. I have another Echo on Wednesday and hope to receive the all clear again. Then, we'll need to do another one a few months from now after I resume physical activity again and see if the fluid builds up around my heart again - if so, it would confirm Chronic Pericarditis. Time will tell.

I've also been trying new meds for my vestibular migraine condition with my third neurologist. Starting to get some progress so maybe 2023 is the year I can work again? Been brutal the past 4 years, but grateful I'm still on the planet!

Jeeso, so sorry to hear that. But so glad you’re on the mend. Like everyone else here, you’re a valuable part of our special community.

Be safe and recover well brother.

I sent my 2019 ssh-Ltd edition to the PTC to “upgrade” the nut, (to a bone nut) the tuners, (to the “tweaked” phase III) and the pickups, (from 58/15 mt) to the 58/15 lt version. The only thing I like better are the tweaked tuners! I never had tuning problems before changing to bone. Don’t get me wrong, it’s well cut and outside of having to use Big Bend’s nut sauce almost every time I play it, it’s passable. The pickups are nice too, but the originals definitely worked much better in this guitar…and had more oomph and clarity.
The long and short of this is, at some point this winter I’m going to re-install the original nut and pickups. When I had the work done, I was just updating the guitar to 2021 specs. ( PRS made the Special semi-hollow a core model. ) You must all think I’m NUTS for doing this! (Sorry, I had to get the theme of the thread in there!) I’m NUTS about this guitar! My wife bought it for me for my birthday, when it first came out. At any rate, lesson learned: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Prayers sent, all the best of energy,sincerely….

Back