Let’s talk nuts…..

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Yesterday I saw a thread in the electric guitar category regarding the pros/cons of inserting a brass nut in a Silver Sky. That post inspired me to write this thread and it got me to thinking, why did PRS go to bone nuts on so many models? For years they touted how good their proprietary composite nut was. I swear I read somewhere that they even improved their proprietary composite nut from the original version to include brass dust to help tone. And, I know Paul himself mentioned that you could send your older PRS GUITAR’s back to the factory (PTC for a fee) to upgrade your parts to include the latest innovations. Parts like tuners, nut, wraparound bridge with brass inserts, 594 style bridge with lower mass saddles, and two piece tremolo bridge with brass block, and available pickups.

So why bone? I myself was perfectly happy with the proprietary nut installed on PRS GUITAR‘s. Before some of my newer models which have bone nuts the only guitars I had that had a bone nut were the PRS ACOUSTIC‘s. One of these acoustics I have to get the nut replaced because it’s starting to buzz on the first fret…. the D string mainly. Don’t tell me to adjust my truss rod, it doesn’t have one. I believe this is due to all my tuning changes. I play in the open tunings and I change to a lot of different string gauges….. whatever, parts wear out. I was thinking about sending it back to PTC and getting the proprietary nut installed.

So what nuts do you prefer and why? (I know it’s a loaded question and I’ll get lots of humorous replies lol).

Below is a link to a Ted talk with Paul. At the 4:40 mark he drops different nuts on the stage. To me, clearly the most responsive is the proprietary nut versus the bone.

I don’t get it, either. On the electric side, I think the 594 was the first to get bone. I could be wrong, but I remember some conversation amongst the masses about it. Also, all the talk about bone being a tuning detriment on trem equipped guitars. No clue, other than the whole “vintage” vibe. I prefer the brass infused composite nut.

I don’t get it, either. On the electric side, I think the 594 was the first to get bone. I could be wrong, but I remember some conversation amongst the masses about it. Also, all the talk about bone being a tuning detriment on trem equipped guitars. No clue, other than the whole “vintage” vibe. I prefer the brass infused composite nut.
I agree with "I prefer the brass infused composite nut."........ I saw somewhere on YouTube Paul saying (I'm paraphrasing) 'we had to figure out how to get bone nuts to work with Trems'............... why bother when they already had the problem solved with their proprietary nut? I don't get it. Yes, it must be the vintage vibe thing. Here's another "vintage vibe" thing.... Didn't Gibson use Nylon saddle on their bridges back in the day? For my PRS acoustics I wish the nut and bridge were the brass infused composite material... I volunteer to be a tester for an acoustic bridge made from that material if it hadn't been done already.

I'm toying with swapping the bone nut on my DGT to the synthetic. First PRS I've had with trem tuning issues. And yes - I've done nut sauce, filing, graphite, etc. Just not worth the headache when I know there's a perfectly good solution available.

I'm toying with swapping the bone nut on my DGT to the synthetic. First PRS I've had with trem tuning issues. And yes - I've done nut sauce, filing, graphite, etc. Just not worth the headache when I know there's a perfectly good solution available.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I haven’t experienced tuning issues with my PS MEV yet but if I do, I’ll be looking to do the same.

I changed the nut and tuners on my Fiore , I like the open gear Phase 3s and I just couldn't get the Bone nut in my Fiore to work for me.
I've said it before Bone changes in density so they are different from one to the next , they can be warmer sounding but also can be so soft they are tough to get right and wear out fast and kill sustain IMHO.
I believe some of the latest changes to specs are to attract a different buyer , not the traditional PRS buyer ( Nitro finishes , Bone Nut , 2 piece bridge , Vintage Style non locking tuners ) not the traditional PRS buyer. Even limiting what Custom Shop does.

I changed the nut and tuners on my Fiore , I like the open gear Phase 3s and I just couldn't get the Bone nut in my Fiore to work for me.
I've said it before Bone changes in density so they are different from one to the next , they can be warmer sounding but also can be so soft they are tough to get right and wear out fast and kill sustain IMHO.
I believe some of the latest changes to specs are to attract a different buyer , not the traditional PRS buyer ( Nitro finishes , Bone Nut , 2 piece bridge , Vintage Style non locking tuners ) not the traditional PRS buyer. Even limiting what Custom Shop does.
You make a lot of really good valid points. I’m sorry to hear you had to change the nut and tuners on your brand new PRS Fiore. I have a Hollowbody II 594 that I want to change the vintage tuners to locking tuners.

You make a lot of really good valid points. I’m sorry to hear you had to change the nut and tuners on your brand new PRS Fiore. I have a Hollowbody II 594 that I want to change the vintage tuners to locking tuners.
I likely didn't NEED to change the tuners , I believe the nut was likely the issue BUT I like the bigger tuner buttons on the Phase 3s over the smaller ones on the vintage style tuners that came on the Fiore , Im fine with the ones on the Silver Sky

Nut discussion… at least no one tea-bagged your drum set :p

I read and watch a lot of Paul’s stuff and, frankly, I think he just changes his mind from time to time about what sounds best or is the thing he wants to use. That’s the only sense I can make of it. More power to him, as he keeps managing to make great guitars with the assortment of ingredients. But it is maddening trying to make any firm statement about “best” based on that, and I see why people get confused.

I don‘t have a hardcore preference, though I always liked the scalloped ones on my 513s. Just for the record, that got eliminated by a “better idea” too.

Nut discussion… at least no one tea-bagged your drum set :p

I read and watch a lot of Paul’s stuff and, frankly, I think he just changes his mind from time to time about what sounds best or is the thing he wants to use. That’s the only sense I can make of it. More power to him, as he keeps managing to make great guitars with the assortment of ingredients. But it is maddening trying to make any firm statement about “best” based on that, and I see why people get confused.

I don‘t have a hardcore preference, though I always liked the scalloped ones on my 513s. Just for the record, that got eliminated by a “better idea” too.
Thast's right! I forgot about the scalloped nut on the 513!

Back