Let’s Talk Amp Effects Loops

Screenshot_20190323-1442242_zpsxosm7piz.png

:p

That would be a book, not a post.

Heh! That would be true.

Setting level without clipping is pretty easy - turn down the level on the interface just until it doesn’t clip - usually a red clipping light will come on if it clips. I don’t have a Saffire, so I don’t know if that’s done with software or with a knob on the interface itself.

Then adjust the fader on your daw so that it doesn’t clip internally. Pretty simple.

When you speak of effects, are you talking about your pedal effects, or about plug-ins? Not that I want to write a book here, but perhaps I can point you in the right direction with an actual book.

Kind of both. If trying to set appreciable clean effects level with good tone (in sequential order, I'd hazard to guess), I think it's fairly straight forward...begin with one effect at a given level and work towards unity gain...(am familiar with the phrase), then move on in the signal chain until all effects produce the desired range of tone and sound quality with respect to overdrive/gain/boost.

Regards DAW plug-ins (yoiks and away)...this area is unfamiliar territory until I learn to do well with it...mostly my Overloud TH3 Brunetti/Rock Amp Collections and several other mastering plug-ins I've acquired in the past 2 or 3 years...

I've got a couple home recording and mic placement books for dummies and idiots (thanks, try the veal, but seriously) that have some merit I've not looked into yet. I think my GarageBand plug-in menu allows me only 5 plug-ins at any given time, though I'd likely only use several (the TH3, or compressor) while allowing for guitar effects or CAB M reverb, delay, etc.

I've not much expertise but have viewed several YT videos on setting up GarageBand and using its audio clip note adjustment abilities for tailoring one's sound, as well as chord key, etc. I've done some limited work in this area...

Here's 2 of my better audio demoes using my Two Notes Torpedo Live and effects, recorded with my core Mira Ltd Ed and 408 several years ago.

https://soundcloud.com/bleujazz3/two-notes-torpedo-live-demo

https://soundcloud.com/bleujazz3/dawn-hunting

Last edited:
Candid Picker, I dug the tracks, and hey, what’s not to like? The audio sounds just fine to me, and the playing’s right on!

Nice work!

Back