Let’s Talk Amp Effects Loops

Yea it can absolutely work. Heard lots of post-rock type examples of big washy sounds that have both. And then there's the simple spring reverb or Echoplex delay into the front as well. That's not a sound I often find myself in, but it totally works.

What is "post rock?" when I went to bed last night, there was still rock. I checked this morning and it's still here. "Post rock" doesn't make sense to me.

That’s because it’s a genre of music invented after 1986.
The genre of music invented after 1986... I’m confused. I must not understand English. But I’ve lived here all my life. “Post” meaning “after?” Or meaning like “fence post?”

a post-thing sometimes starts after the thing starts, rather than after it ends, and there is overlap.

The genre of music invented after 1986... I’m confused. I must not understand English. But I’ve lived here all my life. “Post” meaning “after?” Or meaning like “fence post?”

I've said this before. The whole "post-this" and post-that is a pet peeve of mine. I guess a pet peeve because I always took it as a made up, BS term that someone made up for no real reason except to pretend to wax eloquent. Example: Hey I have to cut this post short because my shuttle ride is here. I had my wifes post Chevrolet Silverado in for an oil change. :D:D

P.S. not to imply that Sergio was using the term just to be cool. He was cool before it was even invented.

Nah, that was @jxe I was being a d!ck, and now you’re going all “high road” on me. Dammit!
Ha, no... You were trying to lead me to the path of enlightenment. I was airing a pet peeve. I was expressing my inner Les! If I have a problem with something, I’m darn well going to let you know about it.

Ok, really, about 1 time out of 100. :p:p But for some reason, that “post rock” and “post punk” and post stuff in general, just rubs me wrong. Just one of many character flaws.

Ha, no... You were trying to lead me to the path of enlightenment. I was airing a pet peeve. I was expressing my inner Les! If I have a problem with something, I’m darn well going to let you know about it.

Ok, really, about 1 time out of 100. :p:p But for some reason, that “post rock” and “post punk” and post stuff in general, just rubs me wrong. Just one of many character flaws.

But you gotta be all good with Post Office! :p

I was airing a pet peeve. I was expressing my inner Les! If I have a problem with something, I’m darn well going to let you know about it.

Post-reading this post, I was about to get down off the fence post, go to the post office and send a letter of explanation in the post, post-haste, but I decided to post my post-reading-your-post post here instead.

I’m going to go to my pre-studio, do a post-selling search for posts of my pre-lawsuit, post-factory, pre-PRS Forum Singlecuts, and think about my pre-factory, pre-lawsuit, pre-internet, pre-forum, pre-status symbol, post-purchase, pre-PRS addiction, post-Gibson, post-getting into ad music, pre-success, ‘91 Custom.

I might post about searching the posts for a pre-war Martin, a post-war Bigsby, and take pre-cautions that in this post-modern, post-industrial-age, pre-end of the universe time cool guitars might remain in the prefrontal lobe of my brain.

But since the original post in the thread resulting in this post was about effects loops, devices that are post pre-amps, and pre-output tubes, I’m sticking with the concept of the thread as it existed pre-your post about the word, ‘post’, and posting this post to remind everyone that the pre-off-topic purpose of the thread was posts about loops. :)

Last edited:
Post-reading this post, I was about to get down off the fence post, go to the post office and send a letter of explanation in the post, post-haste, but I decided to post my post-reading-your-post post here instead.

I’m going to go to my pre-studio, do a post-selling search for posts of my pre-lawsuit, post-factory, pre-PRS Forum Singlecuts, and think about my pre-factory, pre-lawsuit, pre-internet, pre-forum, pre-status symbol, post-purchase, pre-PRS addiction, post-Gibson, post-getting into ad music, pre-success, ‘91 Custom.

I might post about searching the posts for a pre-war Martin, a post-war Bigsby, and take pre-cautions that in this post-modern, post-industrial-age, pre-end of the universe time cool guitars might remain in the prefrontal lobe of my brain.

But since the original post in the thread resulting in this post was about effects loops, devices that are post pre-amps, and pre-output tubes, I’m sticking with the concept of the thread as it existed pre-your post about the word, ‘post’, and posting this post to remind everyone that the pre-off-topic purpose of the thread was posts about loops. :)

Ok, I know an instigator when I see one! :eek::mad:

:D:D

Wally’s Archon thread brings up the topic of effects loops, which I agree are great for some players, though I jokingly refer to them as the spawn of the devil due to the noise, impedance-matching issues, and level-matching problems that many loops have.

I like putting my effects in the front of an amp, where they lived from time immemorial until the 80s, when some mad scientist or other got the idea to add a circuit between preamp and amp. There’s no right or wrong to this, of course. It’s just a topic for discussion and nothing more!

I found ‘em cranky back in my rack days, and amps where they can be switched completely out of the amp’s circuitry (one of my current amps is a Mesa with that feature) has proven to my predictable satisfaction that the amp sounds more like what I wanna hear without the loop. And YMMV, of course!

I have heard (but not personally used) the Two-Rock version of the Dumbleator, a tube device designed to improve an effects loop; if I was an effects loopist, I’d find one based on the improvement. But that’s an aside, since it’s not coherent with my amp strategy.

Now, the main reason I don’t use a loop has nothing to do with any of the above; I just like what happens when my effects all go into the front of the amp. If I felt differently, of course I’d use the loop. After all, you do what works for your situation!

How do you feel about effects loops?
My MT15 has an FX loop. I don't want to spend money on more cables that I can't return, only to find out that I prefer the sound going into the front of the amp. That's the only reason I haven't fooled with it.

And now I have all these things to worry about.

Overall, I'm in two minds:
More pedals!

F all that! Just run the guitar into the damn amp like Angus and Malcom.

I like what I can do with my current pedals but, at the same time, I can take em or leave em. And I'm kinda leaning towards leave em.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Back