Lesteban Hates Amp Modelers. A Rant.

I don't think it's settled. However if history is any guide modeled amps will get better faster than the real thing

Well, I purposely self-identified the thread as a rant to let other people know that I didn't want everyone taking my expression of this opinion all that seriously. Also, the character "Lesteban" I use from time to time is a humorous creation, showing I try not to take myself seriously. Lesteban is a cartoon character I created for a cartoon I posted on the forum way back when. See, this is Lesteban:

I, on the other hand, am Les.

On the third hand, I don't really care for modelers. And on the fourth hand, I have a bunch of them. So there's that.

Please understand that my posts are not prescriptions that I think others need to heed. They're only expressions of my own opinions.

The Kemper is absolutely the best of the bunch, no doubt about it. I think it sounds much better than the algorithm-based models, and is especially good at creating clean tones.

However it certainly has its limitations. Whether they matter or not in relation to your context is, of course, always a personal thing. Edit: I'll buy you a beer if you still have it in 18 months! ;)

Thanks Les, I just played through a Kemper for the first time today. Since my work studio is surrounded by corporate cubes this is a no brainier :) I'm sold on this one over the axe fx or any of the others. I'm hoping that they introduce a stomp version that just plays profiles so I dont give the boss a conniption over the price! LOL. What do you think of the Mesa Cab Clone with a Lonestar compared to the Kemper? Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think it's settled. However if history is any guide modeled amps will get better faster than the real thing

Well, since modeled amps model the real thing, they can't actually get better than the real thing. After all, they're emulating the real thing.

However, modelers need to get better. I'm sure they will. They still don't reproduce the transient attack or the dynamics of a real amp. I'm not guessing here, I'm an audio pro who uses them on scratch tracks, and I have no axe to grind (excuse the pun). Seriously, they're fast, they're easy, the workflow would be great.

If I felt that I could get the best audio with a modeler, I would use modelers for my final tracks. Why wouldn't I? I do use modeled synths because they're fast and easy. I stopped using tape when digital recorders become practical and good sounding. I mix in the box most of the time instead of with an analog console. I use effects plugins.

It's not like I'm some kind of Luddite who just likes old technology for sentimental reasons.

I'd also observe that the modelers have claimed that they accurately model the real thing, yet they have obviously needed improvement ever since they were introduced, hence incarnation after incarnation becoming obsoleted and being replaced by a new model in the lineup.

I remember the Axe FX being introduced. It was, people claimed, so perfect that one didn't need to use a real amp. Then came the Axe II. I guess the first one wasn't all that perfect, because the II improved on it. There have been revisions and all kinds of stuff, but basically it's not perfect.

What do you think of the Mesa Cab Clone with a Lonestar compared to the Kemper? Thanks

I haven't played through the Cab Clone, but I will try one.

I just listened again to Pete Thorn's Kemper demo that's online using the Michael Britt profiles, and while it's impressive in a certain way, here are my thoughts:

1. First, listen to his demos of real amps - all of them are good demos with good playing. Then listen to his demo of the Kemper. You can immediately hear the difference in dynamics - the Kemper sounds accurate in frequency balance, but two-dimensional and flat as cardboard, at least to my ear. It's like the tone is squashed to hell with over-compression.

2. After 20 seconds or so, the ear and brain become adjusted to the sound of the Kemper and it seems fine.

3. Some people will hear this and not be able to tell much of a difference. My ears are trained by many years in the studio, yours are also. However, some folks are bothered by the differences, and some aren't.

Last edited:
Thanks Les, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this subject. It is very helpful in deciding which tools to go with. Cheers!

Back