Less is more in the gigging world

Blackbear

I have had rigs that involved two stacks run in stereo all the way to small amps with minimal pedal boards but recently I bought a Evil Robot C30 combo (30watts/18watts) and decided to see just how minimal I could go. After experimenting over the last three weeks I'm down to the following:

PRS Artist V > Fulltone Clyde Wah > Turbo Tuner > Tube Screamer (J4558 Chip) > Evil Robot Amp with a TC Flashback Delay in the loop,

I find it actually more fun and liberating to play with this simple rig than anything I've owned over the last several years, plus the combo weighs 27 lbs so the carry in and setup is just one load both ways. The amp is a recreation of the Magnavox Tonemaster 214, it's not exact but John Kasha wanted to make it as close as possible without raising the cost for the average musician. Most of the time I play on 18 watts unless we're outdoors, the only down side is people keep asking me what "Evil Robot" means and I have no clue where they came up with the name.

Similar here... Had tons of gear, multi-amps, pedals, direct to pa, blah, blah... Now, CU24 > cable > Mesa MkV ... that's it... not even a wah. I found that anything I put in line was detracting (slightly) from the gtr-to-amp goodness. And just sounds great in a band setting. I still use pedals when recording background tracks. Main tracks seem to be the above setup and then sweeten slightly with fx if needed after the fact.

Yep, I've gone back to a more simple approach too:

Sig 408 -> tuner -> RJM MIDI rack switcher -> Klon clone -> Bogner XTC quarter stack

The MIDI switcher controls the channels on the XTC, and punches in the Klone via a true-bypass loop either simultaneously or in isolation (the benefit of MIDI patches). I've got the best tone I've ever had.

Sounds like a sweet rig! The Evil Robot is an excellent amp! You should try a Bad Monkey with it. The Tube Screamer is a no brainer but something about the Monkey with the Evil Robot is a fantastic combination. Also, I am about to get a Flashback, great pedal!!! Post a clip if you can, I'd love to hear your setup...

I just resorted my rig as well... It got simpler in someways. I pulled several effects pedals - Phaser, Flanger, Gate, Compressor, looper. Chorus is on the chopping block.

So I ended up with TU3 Tuner - OCD - TS - Blues Driver - Volume pedal and TC Corona and Flashback in the effects loop running into a Mesa TA-30. I could cut one of the OD's but with them I can cover our set, leave the Amp on the AC30TB setting.

Then I bought a P22.... and got drafted to sing. :eek:
Fishman Aura back on the board for the acoustic side
TC Helicon Mic Mechanic
Oh and a G50 for the electric side so I still only have one cable running to the rig. :wink:

The ebb and flow of the board... :laugh:

My rig ( for the last 10 years ) has always been a single 1x12 combo ( usally a mesa or engl with a bogner and marshall rotated through ) Ive played over 700 shows with this setup Clubs>weddings>Coporate stuff though I dont use them I have a decent selection of OD/Distortion pedals but I tend to use higher gain amps that create dirt without help from pedals

Current setup: PRS>Fulltone Clyde>Tuner>2 Channel H head and 1x12 PRS Cab with a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and a Dr Scientist The Cleaness in the loop.

My rig ( for the last 10 years ) has always been a single 1x12 combo ( usally a mesa or engl with a bogner and marshall rotated through ) Ive played over 700 shows with this setup Clubs>weddings>Coporate stuff though I dont use them I have a decent selection of OD/Distortion pedals but I tend to use higher gain amps that create dirt without help from pedals

Current setup: PRS>Fulltone Clyde>Tuner>2 Channel H head and 1x12 PRS Cab with a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and a Dr Scientist The Cleaness in the loop.

Way cool that you've held onto my pedal for about 6 months now....glad you're able to get some decent use out of it Craig.

got a few pedals and pedalboard, but since I got the 2 channel "H" I am only taking it. it's the head and a Mesa 1x12" cabinet or a PRS big mouth 2x12", depends on my mood. I just got the sound I need with it and choosing the right guitar for the gig. effects, just if I need a special WoW factor, but recently, just the guitar + amp + cabinet approach is The Thing to me.

Funny... I'm working on the "less is more" thing myself, and it's funny that all of these posts include 2-Channel amps. I have been rolling with what I felt was "less" in my rig for the last year, but I'm scaling back even more. I've been gigging: Guitar> Polytune> EP boost> Timmy> TS-9> PRS 2-Channel C with a Boss Chorus and Delay in the loop. Thought that was pretty minimal... But I'm still hassling with it too much, so I am going back to single-channelville.

New setup: Guitar> all pedals above in FRONT of the amp in that order> Sweet 16 or HXDA (depending on size of gig). Even LESS!! :)

A few pieces of gear that I know well and trust, is the concept that works best for me. A PRS guitar and the HXDA are essential. I can't say enough good things about the HXDA, in particular.

I can bypass all of my pedals with a true bypass switch box, or include them in the pedal chain as needed. Right now, I'm using a Fulltone wah, '69 fuzz, Deja Vibe, TC delay, and TU-3 tuner on the pedal board. All of the pedals sound great with the amp.

I'm trying to work up the courage to only bring my Boss pedalboard thingy for the next show I play and go direct. I saw that one of my personal heroes Nile Rodgers only brings a Countryman DI as his rig for fly-ins.

I love how our other guitarist says he has to 'keep up' with my Boogie MkIII combo in class A 25 W mode with his Marshall 4104. :s Simplifying my gig rig to just the combo is a first for me in over 30 years. No more cabs, no more 4 cable mode...just a guitar or two, a Keeley TS-9, K'Zoo and the Boogie. Well, yes, there is a wah, Carbon Copy, and Pickle Vibe, but that's what cover bands need. Compared to the '80s, this is a dream boat of a load-in. My back thanks me every week.

Back