Legit Pickups?

rich8

Hi everyone, i've just bought a beautiful Silver Sky in Midnight Rose, sold as new by an online retailer. Only problem is that it came with no protective plastic film on the pickguard and it quickly woke my paranoid side up. Other than that the guitar is in pristine conditions and sounds incredible, but I can't get over the lack of plastic. I took some photos (which i'll link below). Since you guys surely know PRSs better than me, can anybody help me with this?

That all looks good.

The caps and resistors are interesting. I don't know when they started doing that, but it's nothing alarming.
I think they did it right from the get go.

PRS wanted a volume pot with a higher resistance than the standard 250K pots.

Maybe they found a vintage Strat with a 280K or 290K pot or something that sounded especially good. Just a guess.

In any case the special volume pot PRS uses in the Silver Sky is higher than 250K and tweaked to the magic resistance PRS is looking for with the resistor.

Last edited:
Yeah, WTH with these R/C? Is it ok if I get the close-ups? The code on a capacitor would be nice to know, too, if you can read it. PRS will never cease to surprise me

Unfortunately that's the only pic when I opened the pg. Next time I restring it I'm going to take better ones :)

I wonder if they are any different on each pickup - it would make sense if they are. They are an R/C filter from hot to ground on each pickup. I had never seen anyone doing anything like this before. Hardly hi-tech but definitely uncommon

I think they did it right from the get go.

PRS wanted a volume pot with a higher resistance than the standard 250K pots.

Maybe they found a vintage Strat with a 280K or 290K pot or something that sounded especially good. Just a guess.

In any case the special volume pot PRS uses in the Silver Sky is higher than 250K and tweaked to the magic resistance PRS is looking for with the resistor.

Yes that they did from the start, but not on the pickups. 300k volume pot with added resistor to bring it down just a tad.

I wonder if they are any different on each pickup - it would make sense if they are. They are an R/C filter from hot to ground on each pickup. I had never seen anyone doing anything like this before. Hardly hi-tech but definitely uncommon

Yeah I'd love to see the values! Another clever use of old tech by PRS.

Back