Least Favourite finish?

Even after many years of making guitars that sold perfectly well with regular bobbins, Paul looked at the guitar and found something to make traditional humbuckers look even better.

I have to admire that his persistent drive to attend to little details.

I completely agree.

If that is an indication of the attention to detail, then you know Paul has applied the same, if not more, attention to detail to everything else too..

Last edited:
I just bought a PRS CE in a nice blueburst type of finish. What I didn’t realize is the finish is a wrap. This is my first American PRS and I didn’t know PRS made these types of finishes. I am literally sick to my stomach knowing I wasted all my money on a guitar that I will never play. It’s my fault for not inspecting the pics better or asking for more pictures. I was so in love with the top I didn’t realize the back, sides, and neck are all ruined..

I will probably lose enough money on selling this guitar I wont be able to get another with a nice finish. I would have never imagined my first American PRS would go like this and it’s all my fault for not doing better research. I haven’t even received the guitar yet and I doubt I will even open it up when I do. I will have my wife take pics and post it for sale

I just bought a PRS CE in a nice blueburst type of finish. What I didn’t realize is the finish is a wrap. This is my first American PRS and I didn’t know PRS made these types of finishes. I am literally sick to my stomach knowing I wasted all my money on a guitar that I will never play. It’s my fault for not inspecting the pics better or asking for more pictures. I was so in love with the top I didn’t realize the back, sides, and neck are all ruined..

I will probably lose enough money on selling this guitar I wont be able to get another with a nice finish. I would have never imagined my first American PRS would go like this and it’s all my fault for not doing better research. I haven’t even received the guitar yet and I doubt I will even open it up when I do. I will have my wife take pics and post it for sale

You mean the wrap finish without binding?

I don't really hate any of them...but, two I probably wouldn't consider are Trampas Green and Charcoal Cherry Burst. Mind you, I wouldn't pass on either of them if they played and sounded great. They would just be less likely to end up living with me for very long.

Do you think that it’s a “photo-flame” top, not real maple? Like a wrap on a car?
It’s a solid maple top - not even a veneer.

Another necro-bump, btw.o_O

Why does Whale Blue have to be purple on the back... such a lovely front and then purple on the back why not just blue on the back I don’t get it?

Do you think that it’s a “photo-flame” top, not real maple? Like a wrap on a car?
It’s a solid maple top - not even a veneer.

Another necro-bump, btw.o_O
I know it’s a solid maple top. That doesn’t matter, I hate the wrap finish.
To me it looks very cheap. It looks like a Les Paul studio. I would much rather have a veneer with the exposed faux binding than a real cap with it painted over. That’s why its my “least favorite finish” as the title says.

You want to mention that I brought up a necro topic. I would also get flamed by the forum police if I didn’t use the search function and started a new topic that already exist. You cant have it both ways

:rolleyes:
Relax. You didn’t explain yourself or your problem very well.
And YES, you should have asked for pictures if it was going to cause you such anguish.
Good luck with your sale.

And YES, you should have asked for pictures if it was going to cause you such anguish.

I was ready to snap back until I read my original post and you’re right I didn’t completely explain myself. I was just panicked out because I have wanted a CE since they were first rereleased. I had to save for a while and when I’m finally able to get one I screwed it up. I looked at a picture of the flame and loved it. I didn’t realize it has a painted neck, sides, and back. I looked at so many I just got confused. That’s all on me and a very expensive lesson. Someone might like that look. Hopefully I find someone that will buy it. Thankfully I paid what seems to be market value so I might not lose too much. Again, sorry for coming off as a jerk. I was just stressed out and mad at myself

Have you asked the seller if you can return it?

Dumb question: how does it play and sound?

You may have gotten a killer guitar with a finish you might grow to love, and someday laugh at how you almost let it get away because of the back and binding...

Have you asked the seller if you can return it?
I would have asked to cancel but he already shipped it. It was a guy on Reverb. The only way I would return it is if something is wrong with it or not as described. It really was my fault for not paying attention.

I have thought about scraping the binding myself but I am afraid of making it look worse. If I like the guitar I may see if a local luthier can do anything for it. If it is reasonable I will probably go that route. I can live with the back and neck but covering up the maple cap on the sides doesn’t look good at all

Dumb question: how does it play and sound?

You may have gotten a killer guitar with a finish you might grow to love, and someday laugh at how you almost let it get away because of the back and binding...

I haven’t received it yet. You could be right. It may be awesome and I will come on here saying what a fool I have been. I hope that is the case. This wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong. When my Les Paul came in I left it in the case for a week before I would take it out. The finish looked so different in person than it did online. Now it’s one of my favorite guitars. Overreacting is one of my greatest weaknesses

I haven’t received it yet. You could be right. It may be awesome and I will come on here saying what a fool I have been. I hope that is the case. This wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong. When my Les Paul came in I left it in the case for a week before I would take it out. The finish looked so different in person than it did online. Now it’s one of my favorite guitars. Overreacting is one of my greatest weaknesses

I've had a lot of PRSes. All have been Core or Private Stock models. I've liked all the finishes I've had.

My favorite finish is Black Gold, with an opaque back and neck and wrap finish. I like it a lot. It's beautiful and understated. I think the scraped binding is no big deal, though I understand the appeal.

But after 30 years of being a PRS player, with many PRSes having come and gone, I'm kinda over worrying about scraped bindings and birds. Though that stuff is merely my personal preference. Nothing's carved in stone tablets. No one's gonna fault you for having strong preferences.

There are plenty of things that might be worth being upset and anxious right now, but the paint on a guitar surely isn't one of them. Put the thing up for sale when you receive it, and until it sells, enjoy playing it. If it grows on you, and you start to like it, cool! If not, you know what to do.

Simple problem, easy solution. :)

Back