Least Favourite finish?

Anything pink. While I'd never buy a green one, I've seen some I do like. There's also the rainbow signature one ...can't remember the artist...ugly af. Not a fan of gold tops either, sorry. DGT gold top not so bad, but other brands, LP's, or a butterscotch tele...literally my least favorite guitar for looks.

Anything pink. While I'd never buy a green one, I've seen some I do like. There's also the rainbow signature one ...can't remember the artist...ugly af. Not a fan of gold tops either, sorry. DGT gold top not so bad, but other brands, LP's, or a butterscotch tele...literally my least favorite guitar for looks.
The Al D Prism finish?

I think I know what an 'ahhh' moment feels like, but in regard to guitars? Not so sure. o_O maybe?!

I have colour preferences and aesthetic preferences, but I try not to let those influence my choice (too much). Priorities for guitar choice are for me something like:

90% Tone / timbre
9% Playability / comfort /
1% Looks (including guitar styling and finish)

Immediately 'Looks' begin to rise above the 1% threshold, I have to withdraw into a corner and have a serious word with myself about priorities. I dont always win. The proof is that I have a couple of pretty guitars I don't use much.

Significantly (for me), I have some ugly guitars that I use a lot.

Those that tick all 3 boxes don't get used any more often than the ugly ones. So in hindsight, the looks = 1% remains fairly accurate.
There’s a name for those that tick all three boxes. Unicorns.

Although it's completely personal thing, the colors I write off first are any colors that don't have top binding including all wrap ones - no matter how beautiful the top is. Having none of top binding makes a PRS looks cheaper in my opinion.

Besides that, my least fav colors are greenish and blueish ones.

Although I hate Green on guitars in general but there are exceptions, like sage and olive and Trampas on some tops
also any PRS with no natural binding is a No No for me.

Green gets a bad rap IMO.

Gorgeous! And man, I’m obsessed with white backs, I think it’s hands-down the coolest look and such a great contrast to a stained maple top.

I’ve always loved the color green, but wasn’t sure about owning a guitar in it. I was completely lackadaisical during the transaction for my Santana, and even kinda dreading what my wife would say when I bought it.

fOwJyIz.jpg

Needless to say, my wife lost her sh!t when she saw it and has claimed it as “her guitar”. It’s allowed to hang in our bedroom as my upstairs guitar, and waking up to it every morning is a joy.

Gorgeous! And man, I’m obsessed with white backs, I think it’s hands-down the coolest look and such a great contrast to a stained maple top.

I’ve always loved the color green, but wasn’t sure about owning a guitar in it. I was completely lackadaisical during the transaction for my Santana, and even kinda dreading what my wife would say when I bought it.

fOwJyIz.jpg

Needless to say, my wife lost her sh!t when she saw it and has claimed it as “her guitar”. It’s allowed to hang in our bedroom as my upstairs guitar, and waking up to it every morning is a joy.

Beautiful Santana, Serg! I have an emerald green Santana 1:

And here’s the white back on my rainforest SC:

Finishes without binding, or wrap around finishes as they’re called, have the effect of getting a more vintage look.

PRS guitars obviously have a high bling quotient and for some, it’s too much. Staining the binding area as opposed to leaving it unstained, reduces visual contrast and in effect balances out the bling factor that comes from the spectacular figuring and inlays.

Personally I find wrap tops quite cool looking. Very vintage and rugged looking, especially the dirtier colors.

I've grown to dislike the older cherry sunburst finish, too clown-like for me. Additionally, I don't like black (solid or trans) when paired with a lighter rosewood board as well as the natural maple headstocks on the CE-24's.

Also, while not a guitar finish per se, I'm not a fan of the square bobbins/squabbins. Not to my taste. I prefer some covered pickups from an aesthetic standpoint.

I really love the look of the brushed nickel covers on the RPs (ME1), and I prefer covers in general, but if you are going with an uncovered look, I think the squabbins are way cooler than the standard uncovered humbuckers.

I really love the look of the brushed nickel covers on the RPs (ME1), and I prefer covers in general, but if you are going with an uncovered look, I think the squabbins are way cooler than the standard uncovered humbuckers.

If we are talking PU covers, then I have to agree that covered humbuckers are the best aesthetically in my opinion. I prefer brushed to chrome too but then I prefer almost everything - apart from those powder coated coloured (anything except the black) covers to the Chrome. I think the best covers I have seen, has to go the Dark Matter 2 PU's - the PU's in Steve Vai's 'woody' Jem - The Steampunk inspired lazer cut PU's look great in my opinion.

As for uncovered, it has to be Squabbins and with BOTH being black in colour - no Zebras.

Last edited:
The squabbins give uncovered pickups a finished look. I like the covered, too. One thing I like about PRS’ nickel plating is that traditional, warm look it has compared with the bluish cast of chromium.

When we redid one of our bathrooms recently, we used nickel plated fixtures instead of chrome for the same reason.

There’s no need to polish the nickel in the bathroom because we keep it cased when not in use. ;)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I agree that squabbins do give the Pick-up a more finished look. The lack of any significant space around the squabbins and between the pick-up mounting ring really does give them a finished look - almost like a black powder coated cover. Traditional uncovered PU's look like they don't belong or something is missing because they have far to much space especially around the rounded ends. I generally don't like the double single coil look and would want to change out any guitar that came with humbuckers that are uncovered - especially Zebras. However, with my Cu24 with uncovered 85/15's, I am more than happy to keep these because of the use of Squabbins that makes these look finished, that they were meant to fit in that gap...

I agree that squabbins do give the Pick-up a more finished look. The lack of any significant space around the squabbins and between the pick-up mounting ring really does give them a finished look - almost like a black powder coated cover. Traditional uncovered PU's look like they don't belong or something is missing because they have far to much space especially around the rounded ends. I generally don't like the double single coil look and would want to change out any guitar that came with humbuckers that are uncovered - especially Zebras. However, with my Cu24 with uncovered 85/15's, I am more than happy to keep these because of the use of Squabbins that makes these look finished, that they were meant to fit in that gap...

Even after many years of making guitars that sold perfectly well with regular bobbins, Paul looked at the guitar and found something to make traditional humbuckers look even better.

I have to admire that his persistent drive to attend to little details.

Back