Least Favourite finish?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Andy80, Sep 6, 2019.

1. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Yeah, if the sprayer opened the nozzle a bit more I’d be into it.

vchizzle likes this.
  2. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

I like REAL green guitars but that color doesn't even look like a green to me at all. I call it "Tramp Ass" green.

Mozzi likes this.
  3. newfmp3

newfmp3 New Member

Anything pink. While I'd never buy a green one, I've seen some I do like. There's also the rainbow signature one ...can't remember the artist...ugly af. Not a fan of gold tops either, sorry. DGT gold top not so bad, but other brands, LP's, or a butterscotch tele...literally my least favorite guitar for looks.

claythomas likes this.
  4. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

The Al D Prism finish?

newfmp3 likes this.
  5. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

There’s a name for those that tick all three boxes. Unicorns.

6. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Green gets a bad rap IMO.

[​IMG]

markd21, LSchefman, WA Paul and 6 others like this.
  7. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

Although it's completely personal thing, the colors I write off first are any colors that don't have top binding including all wrap ones - no matter how beautiful the top is. Having none of top binding makes a PRS looks cheaper in my opinion.

Besides that, my least fav colors are greenish and blueish ones.

jm9239 and g.wizz like this.
  8. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

Although I hate Green on guitars in general but there are exceptions, like sage and olive and Trampas on some tops
    also any PRS with no natural binding is a No No for me.

jm9239 likes this.
  9. sergiodeblanc

Gorgeous! And man, I’m obsessed with white backs, I think it’s hands-down the coolest look and such a great contrast to a stained maple top.

I’ve always loved the color green, but wasn’t sure about owning a guitar in it. I was completely lackadaisical during the transaction for my Santana, and even kinda dreading what my wife would say when I bought it.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, my wife lost her sh!t when she saw it and has claimed it as “her guitar”. It’s allowed to hang in our bedroom as my upstairs guitar, and waking up to it every morning is a joy.

10. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Beautiful Santana, Serg! I have an emerald green Santana 1:

[​IMG]

And here’s the white back on my rainforest SC:

[​IMG]

11. sergiodeblanc

All these years and your guitars still always knock me over!

I dream of a Santana I.

LSchefman, 11top and Alnus Rubra like this.
  12. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Finishes without binding, or wrap around finishes as they’re called, have the effect of getting a more vintage look.

PRS guitars obviously have a high bling quotient and for some, it’s too much. Staining the binding area as opposed to leaving it unstained, reduces visual contrast and in effect balances out the bling factor that comes from the spectacular figuring and inlays.

Personally I find wrap tops quite cool looking. Very vintage and rugged looking, especially the dirtier colors.

LSchefman, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  13. Jkater

Jkater New Member

Clown burst...

14. John

John https://deathbenotproud.bandcamp.com

I've grown to dislike the older cherry sunburst finish, too clown-like for me. Additionally, I don't like black (solid or trans) when paired with a lighter rosewood board as well as the natural maple headstocks on the CE-24's.

Also, while not a guitar finish per se, I'm not a fan of the square bobbins/squabbins. Not to my taste. I prefer some covered pickups from an aesthetic standpoint.

markd21 likes this.
  15. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I really love the look of the brushed nickel covers on the RPs (ME1), and I prefer covers in general, but if you are going with an uncovered look, I think the squabbins are way cooler than the standard uncovered humbuckers.

bodia likes this.
  16. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Ditto!

Black Plaid likes this.
  17. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

If we are talking PU covers, then I have to agree that covered humbuckers are the best aesthetically in my opinion. I prefer brushed to chrome too but then I prefer almost everything - apart from those powder coated coloured (anything except the black) covers to the Chrome. I think the best covers I have seen, has to go the Dark Matter 2 PU's - the PU's in Steve Vai's 'woody' Jem - The Steampunk inspired lazer cut PU's look great in my opinion.

As for uncovered, it has to be Squabbins and with BOTH being black in colour - no Zebras.

#77 Mozzi, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    LSchefman and Black Plaid like this.
  18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

The squabbins give uncovered pickups a finished look. I like the covered, too. One thing I like about PRS’ nickel plating is that traditional, warm look it has compared with the bluish cast of chromium.

When we redid one of our bathrooms recently, we used nickel plated fixtures instead of chrome for the same reason.

There’s no need to polish the nickel in the bathroom because we keep it cased when not in use. ;)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Tim S, bodia, Alnus Rubra and 2 others like this.
  19. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I agree that squabbins do give the Pick-up a more finished look. The lack of any significant space around the squabbins and between the pick-up mounting ring really does give them a finished look - almost like a black powder coated cover. Traditional uncovered PU's look like they don't belong or something is missing because they have far to much space especially around the rounded ends. I generally don't like the double single coil look and would want to change out any guitar that came with humbuckers that are uncovered - especially Zebras. However, with my Cu24 with uncovered 85/15's, I am more than happy to keep these because of the use of Squabbins that makes these look finished, that they were meant to fit in that gap...

LSchefman, Tim S and Black Plaid like this.
  20. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Even after many years of making guitars that sold perfectly well with regular bobbins, Paul looked at the guitar and found something to make traditional humbuckers look even better.

I have to admire that his persistent drive to attend to little details.