Least Favourite finish?

Least faves:
Anything wrap-around
Black gold wrap burst

Faves:
Solid colors (especially goldtop, powder blue and white)
Bonnie pink
Northern lights

Kudos for buying what felt/sounded right! Deserves the Boogie non-creepy-uncle’s-pat-on-the-back for being brave enough to admit that here.
Are you sure it’s non-creepy? When you long pause that last pat and add the slow double squeeze at the end, some people might interpret that as a little “different”. I mean, I’m cool with it, I just know it’s Uncle Boogie. That weird grin on the other hand...:eek:

Are you sure it’s non-creepy? When you long pause that last pat and add the slow double squeeze at the end, some people might interpret that as a little “different”. I mean, I’m cool with it, I just know it’s Uncle Boogie. That weird grin on the other hand...:eek:

And I thought the old Uncle Boog “pat n’ squeeze” was a myth!;):oops:

I wonder why people don’t like green guitars. :confused: I think emerald, rain forest, and lemongrass are all nice. I even like trampas. There also seem to be fewer green guitars around, and I like that.

Heck, I even know a guy that doesn’t like blue guitars....Can you imagine? :confused: I mean that’s like not liking the Beatles. :confused::eek:o_O

The weird grin is my trademark. I left the unsolicited backrubs to @alantig.

Last edited:
@LSchefman

I do find it somewhat funny that people will buy something, that they feel they have to buy something in their least favourite colours but then again, I am not in their situation to understand. I am sure you have had reason to buy guitars that perhaps didn't give you that 'ahhh' moment when you saw them as others have but for me, aesthetics are important and essentially, the first test any instrument has to pass before I buy. If it doesn't give me that, then I don't even consider it to buy.

I think I know what an 'ahhh' moment feels like, but in regard to guitars? Not so sure. o_O maybe?!

I have colour preferences and aesthetic preferences, but I try not to let those influence my choice (too much). Priorities for guitar choice are for me something like:

90% Tone / timbre
9% Playability / comfort /
1% Looks (including guitar styling and finish)

Immediately 'Looks' begin to rise above the 1% threshold, I have to withdraw into a corner and have a serious word with myself about priorities. I dont always win. The proof is that I have a couple of pretty guitars I don't use much.

Significantly (for me), I have some ugly guitars that I use a lot.

Those that tick all 3 boxes don't get used any more often than the ugly ones. So in hindsight, the looks = 1% remains fairly accurate.

@LSchefman If I don't get that 'Ahhh' from the initial scan through with my eyes, then I won't be buying a guitar from that store. It has to pass that test first.

Probably most of us feel that way; it’s just a matter of how strongly we feel about the subject of finish, etc.

I can hardly criticize that, since my heart certainly beats faster in the presence of certain finishes, even though I’m pickier about the sound.

Re: the back of the guitar, if it’s something like the beautiful African ribbon mahogany that PRS often installs on its PS or WL runs, sure, I want to see a translucent finish. I have a few PS with that wood in back, though to be honest the only time I look at guitar backs is during a cleaning.

If it’s the standard South American mahogany, then I don’t care at all about opacity of the finish. Sounds great, but isn’t interesting, or maybe I’ve just gotten immune to it’s charms after living with it since 1967. ;)

I have a couple of your least favorite colors (Black Gold), and one of your favorites (Northern Lights).

Just goes to show how different tastes can be!
Yup totally agree!

My favorites are the darker finishes because I react to the secret service MIB BMW look. Classy, moody.
bmw-5-series-1_2.jpg

But very occasionally I also love flashy. Temperamental, exuberant.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Frebeccalindland%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2FAlfaRomeo_2018_Quadrifoglio_Stelvio_VLPGallery1_Desktop.jpg.alfaimage.1400-1200x1200.jpg

I wonder why people don’t like green guitars. :confused: I think emerald, rain forest, and lemongrass are all nice. I even like trampas. There also seem to be fewer green guitars around, and I like that.

Heck, I even know a guy that doesn’t like blue guitars....Can you imagine? :confused: I mean that’s like not liking the Beatles. :confused::eek:o_O

I came around to green guitars, there’s always hope I can come around to the other two.

Charcoal Cherry -- I just can't stand it. To me, it makes it look like the guitar is dying -- the only bit of life it has left is the bit of red hanging onto the edge.

I'd refinish all of my guitars in Trampas Green before getting a Charcoal Cherry Burst.

But it's good to know that some folks love it (probably more than a ginger's mum loves her kid). It's my problem, I know.

I didn't care for the finish to Interstellar...oh wait, we are talking guitars. Green. Pretty much anything green is a no go for me.

No pink, three color finishes, or goofy “vintagy” looking duco finishes...I mean, come on PRS guitars are modern classics, not 50’s era guitars! There are several others, but these are the top of the *hit list...ugh.

Back