Learning The Blues Online???

Back to on line lessons ...

Marty Schwartz (no relation. no kickbacks or graft !) https://www.martymusic.com/store
I think is helpful, as are many of the other dudes like JustinGuitar ...

Anyway with the Marty stuff, aside from being helpful, I have found that once downloaded, I can burn lessons to DVD, so I have them "forever" (I'm Old School ... I like tangible media)

And especially on weekends , he will offer deep discounts on lesson packages if you sign up for notices ...

Back to on line lessons ...

Marty Schwartz (no relation. no kickbacks or graft !) https://www.martymusic.com/store
I think is helpful, as are many of the other dudes like JustinGuitar ...

Anyway with the Marty stuff, aside from being helpful, I have found that once downloaded, I can burn lessons to DVD, so I have them "forever" (I'm Old School ... I like tangible media)

And especially on weekends , he will offer deep discounts on lesson packages if you sign up for notices ...

Great to hear. Thanks for the tip.

I like what I have seen of JustinGuitar (I've only seen his free youtube stuff... yet to actually go to his website), since on some of the lessons, aside from having tab, he actually has the music notated. And I need all the help I can get to re-learn reading music.

Just be warned Marty is worse than a spam bot once you sign up for his free lessons. May change once you buy but it was enough to make me never buy.

Another cat you may enjoy is Roy Buchanan. He is sort of a country flavored blues player, but lots of clever ideas and attitude for miles.
The greatest guitar player no one has ever heard of!;)

Kirk Fletcher is another you can follow on Facebook, he’s an incredible guitar player and all around nice guy. He’s got plenty of lesson videos on FB and YouTube.
Yes, he is.

Carry your phone with you. You can view YouTube wherever you go, as long as your phone battery holds a charge, and longer if you recharge in your car.

Great to hear. Thanks for the tip.

I like what I have seen of JustinGuitar (I've only seen his free youtube stuff... yet to actually go to his website), since on some of the lessons, aside from having tab, he actually has the music notated. And I need all the help I can get to re-learn reading music.

Oooh ... That "reading music thing "...

Don't look now, but this is a guitar site, and nobody confesses that they may be able to read music ! :)

As a former (hopefully returning Clarinet player) there was no ""TAB" . One learned to find notes via a fingering chart, and how to read treble clef ! "FACE" and" Every Good Boy Does Fine" was as good as it got. And Thankfully ... as a horn guy NO CHORDS !;) Luckily, guitar is a treble clef instrument ...

But with Guitar... Mel Bay Book 1 ... I could find notes (in what I believe is called the First Position ?) and maybe play "Ol Susanna Had A Farm" ... but that was not really what I wanted to do...

And then, those terrors with all the notes stacked up on one another, to be played at the same time ??? Madness !

Had to make a bad mistake to do that with a Clarinet ...:)

Jimi & SRV didn't read ... but I guess it does help to have some knowledge to maybe begin to understand theory & stuff ...But in my old age ,I can get by with TAB & just plinkin' ;)

Hey OldManMark - one blues player that I really like who I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread is Johnny Lang. I had never heard of him in the year 2000, and at the 60th Sturgis motorcycle rally, he was on one of the big stages. Someone had a ticket for sale so I said "what the hell"! Could not have been happier. To this day, I still like when a Johnny Lang song comes on the shuffle play of my phone (which holds ~20,000 songs).

As for lessons, I will be looking at these as well, so thanks for starting this thread! Great question with some great responses!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Hey OldManMark - one blues player that I really like who I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread is Johnny Lang. I had never heard of him in the year 2000, and at the 60th Sturgis motorcycle rally, he was on one of the big stages. Someone had a ticket for sale so I said "what the hell"! Could not have been happier. To this day, I still like when a Johnny Lang song comes on the shuffle play of my phone (which holds ~20,000 songs).

As for lessons, I will be looking at these as well, so thanks for starting this thread! Great question with some great responses!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Does he still play barefoot ? :)

My guitar teacher 30 years ago told me to listen to Albert King - Blues at Sunrise for blues inspiration. Those tracks have been in my head ever since! Really great simple lines with much feeling.

One more for ya @OldManMark , Albert Collins. Hes a total guilty pleasure for me. Kinda like Roy Buchanan, that really screamin Telecaster tone, but very expressive playing. He's just a joy to watch. One of those cats that does a ton with very little.

I alway heard he used cables that were like 200 ft long. He would take off in the middle of a solo, walk out of the joint, go order pizza across the street and still be playing.

One more for ya @OldManMark , Albert Collins. Hes a total guilty pleasure for me. Kinda like Roy Buchanan, that really screamin Telecaster tone, but very expressive playing. He's just a joy to watch. One of those cats that does a ton with very little.

I alway heard he used cables that were like 200 ft long. He would take off in the middle of a solo, walk out of the joint, go order pizza across the street and still be playing.
If you watch the Festival Express documentary you'll get a great show of this.

Oops, that may be Buddy Guy, but he still uses the 200 ft cord and goes wayyyyyy off stage!

If you watch the Festival Express documentary you'll get a great show of this.

Oops, that may be Buddy Guy, but he still uses the 200 ft cord and goes wayyyyyy off stage!

Buddy goes wireless at least some of the time. At the place I've seen him the last few times, he's walked offstage, then up stairs into the balcony, then out into the lobby and down the stairs and back through the crowd. The last time, though, he stayed downstairs.

I do remember Albert Collins doing as described in the eighties in Pittsburgh . There was a pizza place down the street, but I don’t think he made it that far.

Back