Latest Project

Not really sure at the moment. I’m open to any ideas.

There is still coving to be put up on the ceiling and facings to go around the window and door.

I’d like to keep the walls and ceiling a light colour. I have some really nice pictures that my Dad has painted, so they will most likely hang in the room.

I had the idea of putting down a darker laminate (maybe a walnut colour) on the floor, for ease of cleaning and moving things within the room. And a large rug to dampen the sound.

I've been to Graceland. If the King felt green shag carpet for the ceiling and floor was good .... well, just sayin'.

3RHDQHp.jpg

But then you may want to go with the TCB lightning bolt look in Les' school colors.

u4sx9Dj.jpg

Last edited:
When can we start the drum roll?

As my wife says:

“A little less conversation, a little more action please”

Apparently I’m really good at standing back and admiring what’s been done so far! Haha.

I’m wanting this project finished now, so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour, but I don’t want to spoil it for the sake of rushing it. It the final details that will make this room.

I promise you will all be the first to see the big reveal!;)

Apparently I’m really good at standing back and admiring what’s been done so far! Haha.
Ha, I am really good at that as well! When I build a 3D model of something I want to build in real world, I love just watching it spin once I have a completed model!! I have spent hours of my time over the years watching ideas spin!!! Looking forward to the final product, it's lookin' fabulous!!!!

Happy buildin'!
MW

Unlikely. Three of my band mates have banging recording facilities in their music rooms and heaps more knowledge than I ever will!

Interested to know why you ask?
I just thought you'd have something out there to capture ideas that might flow out of your guitar strumming. Was curious to see what you would be using. Still, I'm excited (OK, not as excited as you) to see the finished project.

I just thought you'd have something out there to capture ideas that might flow out of your guitar strumming. Was curious to see what you would be using. Still, I'm excited (OK, not as excited as you) to see the finished project.

Thanks Tom.

Knowing my ability to completely contradict myself, any suggestions for simple recording solutions would be greatly received.

Thanks Tom.

Knowing my ability to completely contradict myself, any suggestions for simple recording solutions would be greatly received.
On the simple recording solutions front, I have been using a Zoom H6 and I think it does a descent job. When I want to go out to the porch or any other location away from my mix board, I grab the zoom H6, feed it guitar and vocal (and sometimes a mic on the cajon) and hit record. It is like having a little mix board, and the other zoom models of this type are similar. With the H6, I have the two provided mic channels, and then 4 more channels to plug in other sources (be it 1/4" or XLR). Each channel has a lot of parameters you can set, like phantom power or no, limiter, compressor, level, etc. You can also get an adapter that replaces the two built in mics with two more channels for other inputs. With that attachment, you can now connect up to 6 instruments/microphones. The record format can be anywhere from mp3 48Mbps up to wav file of 96khz 24bit. I think you can also record as a single stereo out or each channel independent. I have never even looked at putting out stereo signal, but you do have that by default as well with the headphone output. Anyway, great little unit IMO for about $350 (not sure what UK pricing would be). The adapter to get the extra two channels is about $90. Compact, easy to set up once you are used to where functions are, high quality record formats. I like it a lot!!! It's like a 6 channel mixboard that is about the size of a man's hand, and only about as thick as two hands pressed together. Records onto SD cards (have to be capable of a certain speed dependent to some extent on how many channels you are recording, each extra channel to record requires the card to be x amount faster to handle it) and/or you can use it as a audio interface with most DAW software. 4AA batteries that last me about 5-6 hours or record time (I use rechargeables). You can also have it run from a usb port power, but I don't use it that way much! Let me know if you want any more details or samples!

Your project is the bomb! Allowing us to live vicariously through your journey!! It's like watching a PS get built!!! Thanks for sharing ;~))

Thanks Tom.

In a room like yours a little Tascam PCM recorder, sub $100 US, works great for capturing those little on the fly ideas. It will do over dubbing too. https://tascam.com/us/category/Handheld_and_Field_Recorders

I've stepped up and use a Looper with some drum beats. If a get something good on that I'll record the looper on the Tascam live in the room so I don't have edit so much.

All this inspired by some documentary where Pete was showing his home recording setup. Pita because it was all tape back then.

In a room like yours a little Tascam PCM recorder, sub $100 US, works great for capturing those little on the fly ideas. It will do over dubbing too. https://tascam.com/us/category/Handheld_and_Field_Recorders

I've stepped up and use a Looper with some drum beats. If a get something good on that I'll record the looper on the Tascam live in the room so I don't have edit so much.

All this inspired by some documentary where Pete was showing his home recording setup. Pita because it was all tape back then.

Thanks, I’ll bear this one in mind.

On the simple recording solutions front, I have been using a Zoom H6 and I think it does a descent job. When I want to go out to the porch or any other location away from my mix board, I grab the zoom H6, feed it guitar and vocal (and sometimes a mic on the cajon) and hit record. It is like having a little mix board, and the other zoom models of this type are similar. With the H6, I have the two provided mic channels, and then 4 more channels to plug in other sources (be it 1/4" or XLR). Each channel has a lot of parameters you can set, like phantom power or no, limiter, compressor, level, etc. You can also get an adapter that replaces the two built in mics with two more channels for other inputs. With that attachment, you can now connect up to 6 instruments/microphones. The record format can be anywhere from mp3 48Mbps up to wav file of 96khz 24bit. I think you can also record as a single stereo out or each channel independent. I have never even looked at putting out stereo signal, but you do have that by default as well with the headphone output. Anyway, great little unit IMO for about $350 (not sure what UK pricing would be). The adapter to get the extra two channels is about $90. Compact, easy to set up once you are used to where functions are, high quality record formats. I like it a lot!!! It's like a 6 channel mixboard that is about the size of a man's hand, and only about as thick as two hands pressed together. Records onto SD cards (have to be capable of a certain speed dependent to some extent on how many channels you are recording, each extra channel to record requires the card to be x amount faster to handle it) and/or you can use it as a audio interface with most DAW software. 4AA batteries that last me about 5-6 hours or record time (I use rechargeables). You can also have it run from a usb port power, but I don't use it that way much! Let me know if you want any more details or samples!

Your project is the bomb! Allowing us to live vicariously through your journey!! It's like watching a PS get built!!! Thanks for sharing ;~))

Thanks MDW, really appreciate the time that people take on here, to share valuable knowledge and suggestions :)

You mentioned that your 3 bandmates have "banging" recording setups, so no need for you to adopt the "go big or go home" strategy in your new room. But, it's always handy to hit record on some type of hardware/software and capture cool ideas that tend to float around in the ether. I thing Moondog and aphantomvaper both have low-cost non-complex ways to achieve the end result. I guess I'd lean towards the Zoom HX or something similar, since it would be great to record a track, then add another two or three to more fully explore that idea. Then, you could bring a digital copy over to your mates to flesh out the rest of the parts. I'm sure there are lots of others on this forum with suggestions that may also work for you. Which ever way you decide to go, do something. You will soon be the proud proprietor of a very nice music room. You may as well have some method to record the music you'll be making. :)

You mentioned that your 3 bandmates have "banging" recording setups, so no need for you to adopt the "go big or go home" strategy in your new room. But, it's always handy to hit record on some type of hardware/software and capture cool ideas that tend to float around in the ether. I thing Moondog and aphantomvaper both have low-cost non-complex ways to achieve the end result. I guess I'd lean towards the Zoom HX or something similar, since it would be great to record a track, then add another two or three to more fully explore that idea. Then, you could bring a digital copy over to your mates to flesh out the rest of the parts. I'm sure there are lots of others on this forum with suggestions that may also work for you. Which ever way you decide to go, do something. You will soon be the proud proprietor of a very nice music room. You may as well have some method to record the music you'll be making. :)

Thanks again :D

Back