Latest Project

I just noticed this thread too! Looking good AR! Did you do this yourself?

We're moving too. The wife really liked a house and seller accepted our off, but... wife forgot about my playroom. I might end up doing a similar project as yours.

A lot of the work was me, with help from a friend.

I’m lucky to have a colleague that was a roofer in a former life and one that was an electrician, so they have kept me right.

I try to work as methodically as I can, to make things easier as the build progresses.

I have learnt an incredible amount during this build.

AR, I don't know if you can find this product over there, but it used to be called Sikkens (made in one of the Scandinavian countries) but now called PPG Proluxe Log & Siding. When we lived in the far reaches of Northern Minnesota, all the old-timers up there swore this was the best thing for log or wood sided homes. The home we'd purchased was 13 years old and had been coated with Sikkens - still waterproof after all those years on 3 of the 4 sides. The southern exposure was iffy, so I gave the whole home two new coats of this product. Looked terrific and the fellow to whom we sold when we moved says it is still in perfect shape.

AR, I don't know if you can find this product over there, but it used to be called Sikkens (made in one of the Scandinavian countries) but now called PPG Proluxe Log & Siding. When we lived in the far reaches of Northern Minnesota, all the old-timers up there swore this was the best thing for log or wood sided homes. The home we'd purchased was 13 years old and had been coated with Sikkens - still waterproof after all those years on 3 of the 4 sides. The southern exposure was iffy, so I gave the whole home two new coats of this product. Looked terrific and the fellow to whom we sold when we moved says it is still in perfect shape.
I’ve used Sikkens for years. I restrain every few years. I believe Lowe’s relabeled it as their house brand.

Pretty sure Lowe's brand is not the same. Sikkens was owned by Akzo Nobel in Europe, and they sold their North American coatings division to PPG back in 2013. The agreement between the companies required PPG to phase out the Sikkens name. They, and now PPG make many different coatings, and I cannot speak for any of them other than the Log & Siding stain. It is truly remarkable stuff. One could think of it as the PRS of exterior stains. An important note: don't use Log & siding on the decking material. After two coats it will be too slippery to walk on in the rain. But it is terrific for everything else.

AR, maybe Akzo Nobel still sells Sikkens somewhere near you. Ask the "old timers" where you live what they use and what lasts the best.

R, that’s coming along nicely! Got a special bottle of something to christen it with?

I’m sure I’ll find something! Haha

Might not want to follow Spanky’s lead:

Might be a tad non PC. :p

Well the two ladies in my life are both musical, so I suppose they will be allowed in sometimes!

This nicely sums up what I do for a living:p:D

Sorry!

Looking for it now. Thanks.

I had an idea to finish it with a neutral UV protector (enriched with wax) to begin with and see how it weathers as once I’ve stained it dark, it’s a lot of sanding back to get a convincing burst!;)

If you decide to go with Sikkens (or whatever it may be called on your side of the Atlantic) you may need to do a quick scrub with a wood cleaner to remove mill glaze if present, and allow for a good dry. When applying the stain, I'd recommend a brush, not a roller or sprayer - you'll get better absorption. Two coats at least 24 hours apart. And, make sure humidity and temperatures are within the limits so the product cures properly. It may sound kind of putsy, but it really isn't, and it will look great for years. One last thing, don't be concerned about the can directions regarding re-coating. It mentions that the previous coats need to be sanded off or Sikkens wouldn't stand behind their warranty. That's legalese meant as a CYA. I've re-coated our house up north without removing the previous coats and it is lasting just fine five years later and will for many more years. My brother-in-law used it on his log siding and didn't even bother to clean off the dirt and cobwebs. This stuff just sticks to everything. Oh, and wear your worst work clothes cuz if you get any on you (and you will) it will not come out. :eek:

This makes me want to go build something. This is fantastic. My last wood project was my pedal board. I had a circular saw I kick back and cut my two finger very bad. I was really lucky the guard hit them and not the blade.

I think it’s safer for everyone for me to manage such projects now. Unfortunately I’m a hard head and can’t help myself. It could never happen twice right?

I love this so much! I can't believe I didn't see this thread until today.

Thanks Mike, the work brotherhood have come to my rescue a couple of times!;)

Awesome job!
That is turning out nicely.
Can't wait to see it completed.:cool:

Thanks, me too! And don’t worry I will bore you all silly with the end pics :D

This makes me want to go build something. This is fantastic. My last wood project was my pedal board. I had a circular saw I kick back and cut my two finger very bad. I was really lucky the guard hit them and not the blade.

I think it’s safer for everyone for me to manage such projects now. Unfortunately I’m a hard head and can’t help myself. It could never happen twice right?

Glad to hear your fingers are intact. Yeah safety is really important. I managed to trip and fall onto the step frame work, before the decking boards were put on. Luckily my forehead and nose stopped my fall.

I spent that evening with an Ice pack on my head and telling off from Mrs AR for not telling her until four hours after it had happened.

As a friend says:

“You’ve not invested yourself into a project until you’ve bled onto it”!!:confused:

Ask the guy with 8 fingers.:p:D

Ouch!

Yeah my guitar builder friend has a finger injury from when he worked in a window making factory. Unfortunately he got the bandage on the finger caught in a circular saw and injured a further finger! He does make very nice guitars though!:)

Thanks Mike, the work brotherhood have come to my rescue a couple of times!;)

Thanks, me too! And don’t worry I will bore you all silly with the end pics :D

Glad to hear your fingers are intact. Yeah safety is really important. I managed to trip and fall onto the step frame work, before the decking boards were put on. Luckily my forehead and nose stopped my fall.

I spent that evening with an Ice pack on my head and telling off from Mrs AR for not telling her until four hours after it had happened.

As a friend says:

“You’ve not invested yourself into a project until you’ve bled onto it”!!:confused:

Ouch!

Yeah my guitar builder friend has a finger injury from when he worked in a window making factory. Unfortunately he got the bandage on the finger caught in a circular saw and injured a further finger! He does make very nice guitars though!:)
I have all my digits.:)
I can still count to ten.(twenty if my shoes are off):p:D

Back