Latest Project

Thanks Doug. If that’s ok I will probably pm you for some help. Thanks

Absolutely, anything I can do to help. Here's a link to my HT build thread, you might get some acoustic ideas there. That room was built with acoustics in mind a lot more than the guitar room.

Heck no, I’d set fire to the whole of Tayside!

I'm not going to lie, I looked up Tayside to see where it was. "Wow, Scotland, really" *checks name* "Ok, that makes sense..."

I saw the roof and thought "he must be somewhere warm", then saw all the rigid insulation and thought "ok, warm but he's soundproofing??". Now I see Scotland and think "Lots of rain, but no fear of snow". :D

Absolutely, anything I can do to help. Here's a link to my HT build thread, you might get some acoustic ideas there. That room was built with acoustics in mind a lot more than the guitar room.

I'm not going to lie, I looked up Tayside to see where it was. "Wow, Scotland, really" *checks name* "Ok, that makes sense..."

I saw the roof and thought "he must be somewhere warm", then saw all the rigid insulation and thought "ok, warm but he's soundproofing??". Now I see Scotland and think "Lots of rain, but no fear of snow". :D

Thanks @DougUSMC a lot of very useful information.

Current wall construction from inside out is, 12.5mm Gyproc Soundbloc (acoustic plasterboard), stud wall 95mm with 75mm of rigid insulation (not really any space for acoustic wool), 11mm particle board, roofing paper (waterproof membrane, 25mm tile batons and 20mm red wood tongue and groove board.

Roughly adds up to 165mm (6.5 inches) wall thickness. I’m hoping that the combination of the sheet rock and rigid insulation boards will soak up quite a lot of sound.

Roof and floor are 6x2 inch timbers with 100mm rigid insulation. The roof will have acoustic wool in as well.

This is primarily a practice area and not a recording space. If it can contain the sound of my son practicing his drums with upsetting the neighbours, I’ll get a quiet life, pardon the pun!

Thanks @DougUSMC a lot of very useful information.

Current wall construction from inside out is, 12.5mm Gyproc Soundbloc (acoustic plasterboard), stud wall 95mm with 75mm of rigid insulation (not really any space for acoustic wool), 11mm particle board, roofing paper (waterproof membrane, 25mm tile batons and 20mm red wood tongue and groove board.

Roughly adds up to 165mm (6.5 inches) wall thickness. I’m hoping that the combination of the sheet rock and rigid insulation boards will soak up quite a lot of sound.

Roof and floor are 6x2 inch timbers with 100mm rigid insulation. The roof will have acoustic wool in as well.

This is primarily a practice area and not a recording space. If it can contain the sound of my son practicing his drums with upsetting the neighbours, I’ll get a quiet life, pardon the pun!
You won't upset the neighbors if you tell them it's a neighborhood pub with entertainment. Official Envy Point.

Last edited:

Damn, dude! That’s the real deal room. Nice work.

Sunday being a day that the builders merchants are closed and not able to buy facias, I decided to run the electricity supply in.

I’m not enjoying the fact that whoever laid the decking did not use deck screws! Each one rusted in and having to prise each board that I need up!

Anyway, hey ho!

Using armoured cable, because that’s the way I roll -

I had to drill a 15mm hole through a 6 inch retaining wall and a small trench to run the cable in -

And it looks so simple from inside -

See you all soon.

Am full of questions! the electrician in meo_O:D ..!
PZw544c.jpg

remember to put a protection on the visible part a galvanized steel plate would be good!

according to the canadian code, it is an obligation, I do not know with precision in your country !?

Good Sunday! Alnus!

I see you used an nmwu cable, how big is the cable? 3c awg # 8 and a 40 amps panel !?

Its 2.5mm two core and Earth armoured cable. It’s like wrestling a bag of eels! :D

Am full of questions! the electrician in meo_O:D ..!
PZw544c.jpg

remember to put a protection on the visible part a galvanized steel plate would be good!

according to the canadian code, it is an obligation, I do not know with precision in your country !?

My photo may have been misleading. There is a decking board fixed over the cable.

My plan is to attach a “Warning Electricity” plate over this area and one on the outside of the retaining wall as well.

Hope this puts your mind at rest?

Its 2.5mm two core and Earth armoured cable. It’s like wrestling a bag of eels! :D

My photo may have been misleading. There is a decking board fixed over the cable.

My plan is to attach a “Warning Electricity” plate over this area and one on the outside of the retaining wall as well.

Hope this puts your mind at rest?
Like a boss Alnus! Wait to see more!

Bits and bobs day today.

Facias and guttering bought, waiting delivery.

Why is it the wee jobs always take the longest. Too much fannying aboot!

Well this evening time to chill in the tub and watch some TV (I wonder why my colleagues say I’m living the US lifestyle!!)

Bits and bobs day today.

Facias and guttering bought, waiting delivery.

Why is it the wee jobs always take the longest. Too much fannying aboot!

Well this evening time to chill in the tub and watch some TV (I wonder why my colleagues say I’m living the US lifestyle!!)

A scotch and a cigar would be perfect!

Back