Latest Project

Still under review. Any suggestions?

It depends on how you’re going to use the space.
Treat it like a house if your leaving instruments and gear inside all year round. Something like an all in one HVAC unit that will keep it at a constant set temperature and humidity.
If for occasional jams and bringing in instruments and gear, a wall unit or portable air conditioner and a decent space heater should do the trick. Pair these with some fans to help circulate the air.
Many years ago, I helped to build a practice room in a finished basement for a drummer friend of mine.
We built a “room inside a room” and it really came out great. The only problem - we never considered ventilation and basically made an oven!:D It got HOT in there.
Luckily, being in the basement, it was relatively easy to tap into the existing central air ducts. And being that it was a modest sized jam space, it didn’t cause a strain on the existing HVAC unit.

Great work! I have been leaning in a similar direction as my girl goes to bed early IMO, and it is usually about the time I am getting motivated to jam, so a removed space would be perfect. I am thinking of getting a 20ft shipping container and working up the interior to my liking.

As for the HVAC, if you have a full system in house, you may be able to run some duct work out to that shed to utilize the house system. Otherwise, I think @DISTORT6 summed up the options in his post. And @Tony M. makes a very good point about not wanting to advertise what may be inside. Many will have no idea and just think you love birds, but others may use it as a reason to "case" your shed. Maybe put the birds on the interior around the door frame or window frame.

Finally, I would like to add a trick that I used on my last construction (an office extension 6ft x 7ft). Before I put up the interior walls, I took pix and mapped out everything. Wiring, outlets, studs, cross stud supports, etc. Now when I need to go into a wall or attach something thereto, I can be assured of where everything is. I know how to use a stud finder, but knowing where they are before you go searching, and how they are arranged, where cross supports and electrical are etc. has made updates a breeze!

Looking forward to progress pix!

Happy nailin'!
MW

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone that I haven’t replied to personally.

This has been a long time coming, now I will have somewhere that Mrs AR can’t complain about me twanging my twanger!:oops:

If you build another, we can call you Alnus "Two Sheds" Rubra.

Mind if I call you Frank? Fran? Little Frannie-poo?

He actually only has one shed…but he’s thinking about another. I wonder if he’ll compose a symphony in that shed. (Just don’t call him “Eddie Baby”).

Very cool build! I do have a concern though, at least if this were where I live in South Florida, having the wood floor over bare ground would wind up with the wood rotting out in a couple of years. But we have a lot of moisture here.

as for HVAC, I would probably go with a mini-split system. They are very efficient, and fairly cost effective.

Finally, I would like to add a trick that I used on my last construction (an office extension 6ft x 7ft). Before I put up the interior walls, I took pix and mapped out everything. Wiring, outlets, studs, cross stud supports, etc. Now when I need to go into a wall or attach something thereto, I can be assured of where everything is. I know how to use a stud finder, but knowing where they are before you go searching, and how they are arranged, where cross supports and electrical are etc. has made updates a breeze!

This is excellent advice and will pay off down the road.
Stud finders have been known to outright lie.

But he’s thinking of selling one….then he’ll be Alnus “no sheds” Rubra.

If they can move it, they can have it!:D

Very cool build! I do have a concern though, at least if this were where I live in South Florida, having the wood floor over bare ground would wind up with the wood rotting out in a couple of years. But we have a lot of moisture here.

as for HVAC, I would probably go with a mini-split system. They are very efficient, and fairly cost effective.

Image 2 might be a little misleading. Each support post is treated and bedded on (not in) 20cms on concrete. After that pic was taken, the framework was raised so each one of the support posts was below the top level of the frame, so the floor is above ground level. All timber in the build is treated apart from the sheeting for the walls, hence the roofing paper.

Amazing, AR! I'm blown away.

One thing to be aware of acoustically is that a square room will have modes, so lots of peaks and null points in the frequencies below 200 Hz or so. You'll probably want to plan for some bass traps at some point. Since you're so handy, making them will be a snap for you.

Back