Latest Project

Another endorsement of the Zoom stuff here. I have an H4, and it’s a great quick recording thing. I also use my iPhone for very quick stuff.
Good to hear there are other Zoomers here! Two things I have not been happy about with my H6 are:
  1. The adjustment dials for the channels input level are sooooo sensitive. Moving them 2 degrees seems to change things significantly, kind of like the tuning buttons on my PRS guitars. Nitpicky I know, but still something to get used to if you go that route AR.
  2. The mics that came with my Zoom H6 have yet to capture anything I would ever use. Maybe I just need to learn how to set them up better (placement, volumes, limiter, compressor, etc), but so far (had it about a year now), I do not like what they provide. I think my cheap smart phone captures a better sound than those included mics do. I am very glad those mics are detachable so I can put other adapters on there ;~))
Other than that, I think it is a great recorder that can travel easily and quickly/accurately record mics or instrument inputs!!!

On the simple recording solutions front, I have been using a Zoom H6 and I think it does a descent job. When I want to go out to the porch or any other location away from my mix board, I grab the zoom H6, feed it guitar and vocal (and sometimes a mic on the cajon) and hit record. It is like having a little mix board, and the other zoom models of this type are similar. With the H6, I have the two provided mic channels, and then 4 more channels to plug in other sources (be it 1/4" or XLR). Each channel has a lot of parameters you can set, like phantom power or no, limiter, compressor, level, etc. You can also get an adapter that replaces the two built in mics with two more channels for other inputs. With that attachment, you can now connect up to 6 instruments/microphones. The record format can be anywhere from mp3 48Mbps up to wav file of 96khz 24bit. I think you can also record as a single stereo out or each channel independent. I have never even looked at putting out stereo signal, but you do have that by default as well with the headphone output. Anyway, great little unit IMO for about $350 (not sure what UK pricing would be). The adapter to get the extra two channels is about $90. Compact, easy to set up once you are used to where functions are, high quality record formats. I like it a lot!!! It's like a 6 channel mixboard that is about the size of a man's hand, and only about as thick as two hands pressed together. Records onto SD cards (have to be capable of a certain speed dependent to some extent on how many channels you are recording, each extra channel to record requires the card to be x amount faster to handle it) and/or you can use it as a audio interface with most DAW software. 4AA batteries that last me about 5-6 hours or record time (I use rechargeables). You can also have it run from a usb port power, but I don't use it that way much! Let me know if you want any more details or samples!

Your project is the bomb! Allowing us to live vicariously through your journey!! It's like watching a PS get built!!! Thanks for sharing ;~))
The H6 is great. We use one to quickly capture band rehearsal ideas. I have used mine as an interface on my MacBook and it works well there too.

Also handy to have is one of those little condenser mic attachments for an iPhone/iPad. They work great if you want something that can handle higher volume than a phone mic can handle and a little clearer sound.

So like the neck of @toothace PS build, progress is moving at a pace, but rather than me bore you with “here’s some paint”, “here’s some floor”, I’m gonna do one big reveal at the end.

Just in case you thought this was one of those thread that @DISTORT6 calls

“zombie thread”

on in 2025!

See you all back here soon.

So like the neck of @toothace PS build, progress is moving at a pace, but rather than me bore you with “here’s some paint”, “here’s some floor”, I’m gonna do one big reveal at the end.

“zombie thread”

on in 2025!

We'll be waiting!
kjWtxjI.gif

“zombie thread”

on in 2025!

I, for one, was looking forward to the poll on paisley wallpaper samples.

Back