Latest Project

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
Last December we moved the grand total of 1/4 mile from our old house!

We like the area, but wanted more room. Our new home has a bigger footprint and scope to convert into more living space.

In March, phase 1 of our plans was completed in the form of a kitchen refit. Always an upheaval as it’s a room you use more times in a day than you realise.

Once that was complete, I started plans for an outdoor music room. I put pencil to paper and began making working drawings from which to calculate materials needed and dimensions.

In May, I took holiday to begin the project. Naively I believed that I’d be able to take delivery of timber soon after and commence the build. Due to Covid shortages the timber took 4 weeks to arrive. So I completed the ground work -

Then when the timber delivery arrived, work could begin in earnest -

I finished the base, insulated and floored it and then began on the walls -

I made up the frame work for the side that would contain the window and had to take another 4 week break whilst I waited on the double glazing to arrive -

Once the window and door arrived I could complete the remaining two sides and put on the roof -

And finally (at the moment), a couple of interior shots -

Obviously there is still a long way to go, but as soon as the roof is water tight, I can really move on at a pace.

Updates to follow and hopefully the AR family will be making some good music in this room soon!

Last edited:

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
It’s a sloped roof, with about a 4 inch elevation at the front.

It measures approximately 4 x 4 metres inside, so a reasonable sized space.

Loads of insulation and acoustic plasterboard (drywall).

Two reasons for this are heat and noise containment.

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
Looking good!
Climate control plans?
(We are all full of questions :p)

Still under review. Any suggestions?

Reub, that's bad a$$!!!!! You do good work. Hopefully they neighbors won't mind a little racket :p

Thanks bro.

Our neighbours must be long suffering. I wonder what they will make of the garage conversion into a bedroom, after this!!