Late NGD: Nugent Zebra

I know those two! Love those dudes. Kill stuff TSG. Thanks for coming here and sharing!

I love those guys too. Times were absolutely crazy back then. Ask Tim if he remembers "bitchboy" Ben getting his eyebrows singed off in the paintshaker incident. Then ask Geoff about the cherry toner fountain! Or Tim's morning cartoons on the loudspeaker! Definitely good times..

Last edited:
Hey back then Ted and Carlos were THE heavies when it came to PRS endorsements. I stained Carlos' tri-color too! Kevin Murphy did the first one but somebody got the color scheme flipped upside down on him so I did the next one. That was before I moved to the spray room and Geoff , Mark, Chris and Norman taught me spray finishing.

Last edited:
I love those guys too. Times were absolutely crazy back then. Ask Tim if he remembers "bitchboy" Ben getting his eyebrows singed off in the paintshaker incident. Then ask Geoff about the cherry toner fountain! Or Tim's morning cartoons on the loudspeaker! Definitely good times..

I certainly will!

Dude! That's such an iconic guitar for me! I always wondered how you guys did those... I have my own assumptions.. but... Right on!

This is the guitar Kev stained. Note the flag color is upside-down! Yes Carlos owned this guitar..for about the full five minutes it took to box it up and send it back! The "B"" stamp on the back of the headstock is not to denote black back, that info was on the master list of serial numbers that department lead men kept. The "B" was a grade denoting a factory second. This guitar is an oddity fer sure and probably worth the money just for the story!

http://www.maverick-music.com/prs-guitars/1989-prs-custom-24-black-back-carlos-santana

This is the guitar Kev stained. Note the flag color is upside-down! Yes Carlos owned this guitar..for about the full five minutes it took to box it up and send it back! The "B"" stamp on the back of the headstock is not to denote black back, that info was on the master list of serial numbers that department lead men kept. The "B" was a grade denoting a factory second. This guitar is an oddity fer sure and probably worth the money just for the story!

http://www.maverick-music.com/prs-guitars/1989-prs-custom-24-black-back-carlos-santana

It's crazy... I remember hearing the story about this "backwards" guitar only to finally see it pop up for sale this year. It would make a killer collectors guitar! (cough) Markie (cough) Hans (cough) ;)

It's crazy... I remember hearing the story about this "backwards" guitar only to finally see it pop up for sale this year. It would make a killer collectors guitar! (cough) Markie (cough) Hans (cough) ;)

Yeah the myth comes to life! It wasn't Kevins fault the stain order had been written in reverse. It is a miracle however that the guitar survived as a second...usually it would've been "Townsend style" smashed by some lucky dog on the wood room wall!

Oh and that guitar is probably an '86 or '87 model as I'm pretty sure I'd left the stain bench by mid '87.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly,that guitar sold in the Ted Nugent World Bowhunters catalog for $1602.00 USD new circa 1990 or so.I wanted one real bad,but could not swing that much for a guitar at that time.Seems like a good deal now though!!
Congratulations on the restoration.Looks like a great instrument.
I have a zebra Nugent guitar with a maple fingerboard. Is there anything you can tell me about it

Who remembers "BocaBoy" from the earliest days of forums and the forum events? He had a Zebra, along with a cache of several other early and rare models. It's been years since I read anything about him and his collection. Sorry, don't know his real name-he might be on here for all I know.

Back