Late Adopter (a 594 Story)

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
There are some guitars that get all my attention when they hit the streets. The SC-J Thinline, for example, was so intoxicating that I wanted to order two and then sell the one I liked less. There are other guitars, however, that I had to warm-up to. The Silver Sky, for example, required some soul-searching before I took the plunge. But there is one guitar I cannot bring myself to consider; the 594.

Seems like all I ever hear about is how good the 594 sounds or how ‘right’ it feels. I’m sure it does. But I just can’t bring myself to take it seriously.

I’ve always been the guy who says, if I want a Tele, I’ll buy a Tele. If I want a Strat, I’ll buy a Strat. Knock-off guitars never drew my attention. But the gravitational pull of my favorite player making a guitar (the Silver Sky) with my favorite builder won me over. And, while JM’s hand in bringing the 594 to market cannot be ignored, if I want a Les Paul, by god, I will buy a Les Paul. I already have a Les Paul. A nice one. Two, actually.

So here I sit, continuing to read such wonderful reviews of the 594, thinking this may be the one PRS that I will never own. I guess I won’t know where this one lands until I play one. I could just be a late adopter.

Last edited:
There are some guitars that get all my attention when they hit the streets. The SC-J Thinline, for example, was so intoxicating that I wanted to order two and then sell the one I liked less. There are other guitars, however, that I had to warm-up to. The Silver Sky, for example, required some soul-searching before I took the plunge. But there is one guitar I cannot bring myself to consider; the 594.

Seems like all I ever hear about is how good the 594 sounds or how ‘right’ it feels. I’m sure it does. But I just can’t bring myself to take it seriously.

I’ve always been the guy who says, if I want a Tele, I’ll buy a Tele. If I want a Strat, I’ll buy a Strat. Knock-off guitars never drew my attention. But the gravitational pull of my favorite player making a guitar (the Silver Sky) with my favorite builder won me over. And, while JM’s hand in bringing the 594 to market cannot be ignored, if I want a Les Paul, by god, I will buy a Les Paul. I already have a Les Paul. A nice one. Two, actually.

So here I sit, continuing to to read such wonderful reviews of the 594, thinking this may be the one PRS that I will never own. I guess I won’t know where this one lands until I play one. I could just be a late adopter.

Dude, you owe it to yourself to play one. You just can't pass judgement blindly! It's far enough from an LP, farther than the JM is from a Strat, to be different. Yet, it's close enough to give you "that" vibe. Plus all the things that PRS brings to it, make it a clear winner. No matter what it is kin to.

I hated the idea of the 594 at first. I thought the gorgeous PRS body design was RUINED by the switch on the upper horn. I thought the two piece bridge was ugly because it is squared off - and I LOVE PRS' wrap-around tailpiece. I just thought the whole of the 594 was just unnecessary.

The first time I played one those biases caused me to dislike it.

Then I kept reading about how killer it is...every day. Endless new threads about the 594 being awesome. I kept looking at pictures. Hmmm.....

Then I started watching videos. Hmmmm…..

Then I began looking at stock in various online stores I deal with. Hmmmmm…..

Then I saw a color I thought was sweet. Hmmmmmm….

Then I saw one that ticked all the boxes for me:

* DC594
* Blood Orange
* 10 top
* KILLER price

I pulled the trigger and waited. Upon arrival I opened the case and was greeted by a beauty. When I plugged it in I was treated to a very nuanced instrument that inspired me to play in different ways.

Don't ignore the 594. It is a great guitar with a lot to offer, despite the switch being on the upper horn and the bridge being ugly and squared off!!!!

I've played the DC594 a few times. Felt amazing, love the scale length. BUT....I found myself trying to play it like a CU22 (which it is not). I still haven't tried a SC594, but I would certainly love to. Maybe that one will help fix my weird brain.

Before I laid my hands on them I had a negative opinion about them, and called them “Les Pauls in a dress”. After playing a bunch due to MAPete, Bodia, Brian C., and yankeebulldog I came around to how good they are.

Pete’s Rubleseat SC594 guitar nails the idealized “LP” sound and made me change my mind about the whole “if you want an LP just get an LP” thing you talk about. It was actually right after then that I bought my Bernie to fill my occasional LP style urges, because I experienced that it is possible to fulfill that need without having to own yet another Gibson. I’ve had a bunch over the years, and to be honest, I’m just kinda over them aside from random cosplay moments.

They’re definitely a good representation of their “thing” but it’s not really a “thing” I’m particularly into enough anymore to justify buying one.

I'm much like where you seem to be. I have 2 LP's and don't feel the need for another, but the thing that most turned me off to the 594 is the LP control layout. I loved the PRS version of the 4 control layout, and it just seems reversed to switch to the LP diamond. I understand that for those who grew up on the LP, (I did not), the LP diamond feels "right". But to me it's less efficient and counterintuitive. So for now, I'm sticking with my SC's.

The pattern vintage neck carve alone is worth the price of admission. I prefer short scale guitars in general, but when I did my PS build, I gave up the extra 0.094” for my P245T (avatar) but I did not give up the PV neck carve! SC with RW neck and 59/09 is more than LP enough for me. With a piezo and a trem of course :)

" aside from random cosplay moments.."

Sergio, you have great word play, love this ;)

I wasn’t overly fond of the toggle placement on the DC594. I’m still not sure I like it, but I’ve gotten over that sudden yuck when I first saw it. It absolutely doesn’t faze me on the SC594, and that’s what I bought. Not that the switch placement played a part - Brian had both, and by the time I decided to jump, he only had the SC. To be honest, I don’t really think Les Paul when I play it.

I have been wondering, does anyone know the story of the 594 thou? It's a pretty specific value down to the thousandths of an inch.

I have been wondering, does anyone know the story of the 594 thou? It's a pretty specific value down to the thousandths of an inch.
If I have the story right it is the true scale length of a Les Paul. 24 5/8ths, 24 1/2, 24 9/16ths, they all have been thought over time. Somehow Paul decided that was the real length and it has meaning, to his fingers anyway. To the mere mortal fingers of this mere mortal I don't feel much of a difference between 24.5 and 25.

If I have the story right it is the true scale length of a Les Paul. 24 5/8ths, 24 1/2, 24 9/16ths, they all have been thought over time. Somehow Paul decided that was the real length and it has meaning, to his fingers anyway. To the mere mortal fingers of this mere mortal I don't feel much of a difference between 24.5 and 25.
This. I think the 24.594” was the measurement on Paul’s 1959 LP. Not sure if he owns it or has access to it.

Back