Last Minute Advice Needed CE24 Semi Or...?

Teletex

Howdy, been a while since I've been on the forum. I used to own a beautiful Special Semi (picture in my avatar) that was the nicest guitar in terms of fit, finish, and playability but ultimately let it go because eventhough the pup combination sounded great it lacked the snap and bite that I look for in my guitars as a Tele guy.

I'm currently looking to replace the Special Semi and looking very hard at the CE24 semihollow as a possible option. To my ears it has that very breathy almost vocal tone that the Special had but more bite and twang due to its bolt on maple construction and steel bridge. My question is what else should I be looking for, if anything? My band plays a lot of blues/roots/alt country inspired stuff if that helps.

Also, does anyone know the amp @bryanewald is using in the CE24 Semi demo video?

Last edited:
I didn't own them, but I was able to try them both myself before buying a Private Stock McCarty 594 HB II.
I preferred the sound of the Special Semi, so my advice is: keep your money.

I think the CE24 Semi would be perfect for what you're looking to do - the bolt-on maple neck does indeed add that bit of brightness and twang that the set mahogany models are missing.

Another option would be a Vela Semi Hollow. To me, the Velas sit in a territory in between a Tele and an SG, with some Gretsch around the edges. They're very much their own thing, though - they don't sound precisely like any of those, they're just good tonal references to give you a ballpark idea.

I think the CE24 Semi would be perfect for what you're looking to do - the bolt-on maple neck does indeed add that bit of brightness and twang that the set mahogany models are missing.

Another option would be a Vela Semi Hollow. To me, the Velas sit in a territory in between a Tele and an SG, with some Gretsch around the edges. They're very much their own thing, though - they don't sound precisely like any of those, they're just good tonal references to give you a ballpark idea.

Yeah, I've looked at the Vela too. I think I like the sound of the CE24 better but it's close.

My favorite PRS pickup sound is the 594 in the neck. If I could get a guitar with the 594 neck sound and the ce24 bridge pickup sound I would be in heaven LOL.

Last edited:
Hmm, going to be tough to get the 594 neck sound on a 24 fret guitar since the neck pickup is in a different spot. Have you checked out the older swamp ash specials? 22 fret, bolt on maple neck, H/S/H setup.

Hmm, going to be tough to get the 594 neck sound on a 24 fret guitar since the neck pickup is in a different spot. Have you checked out the older swamp ash specials? 22 fret, bolt on maple neck, H/S/H setup.
Yeah, I know that's probably not possible, but a guy can dream haha. I did look at the Ash Special, but the CE24 Semi sounded better to me.

I actually pulled the trigger on a CE24 semi yesterday, will be here today. I'm excited to run it through it's paces.

Last edited:
CE semi's are phenomenal. But getting a 594 neck vibe won't happen unless you swap neck pickups. 58/15 LT are very popular neck pickups with a hotter bridge paired with them.

CE semi's are phenomenal. But getting a 594 neck vibe won't happen unless you swap neck pickups. 58/15 LT are very popular neck pickups with a hotter bridge paired with them.
Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. I'll get today to test out the guitar with my rig at home and tomorrow I have band practice so hopefully I'll have a good grasp on the pickup combinations by this weekend.

Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. I'll get today to test out the guitar with my rig at home and tomorrow I have band practice so hopefully I'll have a good grasp on the pickup combinations by this weekend.

How is that working out for you so far?
I really enjoy my 2019 CE 24 Semi-hollow in Whale Blue.

How is that working out for you so far?
I really enjoy my 2019 CE 24 Semi-hollow in Whale Blue.
Funny I just saw this. I just got home from rehearsal, my second one with the CE and everyone in the band commented on not just how good it sounds but how versatile it is. We play a pretty wide variety of music covering ground from jazz to Neil Young Weld inspired stuff and this guitar has a GREAT sound for all of it. Only thing I'd change is maaaaybe making the neck just a hair bigger, the pattern thin has been an adjustment but it has forced me to be less hamfisted and more precise and technical. Other than that I could not be happier.

Back