Last chance - talk me "up" from the S2 Custom.

DesolationBlvd

Previously, I was considering selling my Strat among other instruments, and getting an S2 Studio, or S2 Standard to install a middle single into, to do both jobs. But setting up the Strat, I could not bring myself to let go of it. Meanwhile, I started selling clutter unrelated to music and raised more money than the Strat would have gone for, so the budget is being raised, and I'm set on a maple-topped, 24-fret PRS, as the representative model of that instrument.

But all that changed. I was checking Chuck Levin's site, making sure the NOS 10-tops were still there, and saw the S2 Custom 24 was now available in green or pink crackle. I was torn between a PRS of some sort, and something in a gloriously Eighties finish, when I started selling and saving up, but the S2 Custom in crackle finish checks both boxes off. Wasn't a fan of the S2 Custom beveling with the lightly figured maple, but it really works better with other finishes. On top of that, I have the cash in hand ready to drop on the S2 this Saturday (hence the "last chance" in the title). Pretty straightforward, right?

On the other hand, I would be giving up the more figured tops that are pretty much part of the PRS look. Will the S2 leave me wanting a Core Series any time soon? More of a personal thing, those 10-tops still sitting around were among the exact ones I was drooling over on Chuck's site almost five years ago.

TL;DR: Do I check off all the boxes sensibly, or do I realize the years-old dream?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with living the dream says the guy who bought a Jackson Rhoads even though it so doesn’t fit his body.
I actually was going to let go of my Rhoads, until I dropped it to B standard.

Ergonomically, the S2’s are excellent. Larry Urie sold me an S2 Studio that is a magnificent instrument. If you like the finish on the S2, go for it. ( Then get the Custom 24 later).
The finish is the one thing that got me to reconsider skipping the S2 - in fact, putting it as my number two pick. My "Eighties hair metal finish" dream predates my PRS dream.

The NOS 10-top at Chuck's that is really calling out to me is the 30th anniversary Scarlet Red. Maybe if I reveal that, someone will buy it in the meantime and set me free from this decision that is pitting my mind against my heart.

If you can get the core model, I say do that. I’ve played the S2 Customs side by side with their big brother core guitars, and there’s a little something extra to the tone of the core models. They have more depth and fullness to the tone. Actually I think the S2 standards are closer to the sound of the core models, at least strumming them unplugged, before pickups enter the equation. That might be why I have 2 S2 standards!

The only S2's I've enjoyed playing were Velas personally. I would rather have a Core or CE, but that's just me and my personal preference.

the S2's are great. I was going to buy an S2 custom 24 myself in whale blue but changed my mind and went outside my budget after I played a CE. But I would still say to buy something that best fits your budget now (even though I didn't) and a few years down the road you may or may not want to upgrade. Yeah you may find you want to scratch that itch down the road and want a CE or a core model. Cross that bridge when (and if) you come to it.

Will the S2 leave me wanting a Core Series any time soon?
Yes, but not in the way you're asking. You'll eventually get the Core, and then another S2 and a SE, then another Core, then start dreaming up a Private Stock. Then you'll be posting lots of threads and photos. It's a "give a mouse a cookie" type of thing.

There are a few of us here that prefer our S2 models over our core models....

Yes I want to get an S2 standard now! or even a SH. I can't tell you how many times i've almost added a brand new one to my cart - or a used on on reverb! An S2 might be my next guitar... or maybe and HBII??? Crap, I want too many!

Have you played any of the guitar types you’re thinking of?
Not recently. The last time I tried a PRS was the S2 Standard Satin I used to test the Marshall Studio Vintage, right when Marshall introduced the series at the start of the year, before bringing said amp home. The S2s I played around five years ago felt like they were missing something, the ones I've played more recently had more of the magic. Reading the main site, it says that S2 and Core models now use the same finishing process?

If it's truly an years old dream, than go with the Core. With that said, I'm a huge fan of S2s because I think the punch way above its weight. The finish on Core just has some extra magic. Maybe it's thinner or maybe it's a different process. However, there is some extra comfort dust sprinkled on Core models, but I'm splitting hairs here. If you do end up going with an S2, I believe you will have an amazing, comfortable and versatile guitar and you won't be disappointed one bit by it.

If it's truly an years old dream, than go with the Core.
The thing is that the neon pink of the crackle finish is an older dream still. Ten years ago, I tried to refinish a cheap Squier with neon spray paint and failed badly, debris kept getting in my finish.

Yes, but not in the way you're asking. You'll eventually get the Core, and then another S2 and a SE, then another Core, then start dreaming up a Private Stock. Then you'll be posting lots of threads and photos. It's a "give a mouse a cookie" type of thing.
Very true. Especially if they make an S2 baritone.

Edit to add:

the S2's are great. I was going to buy an S2 custom 24 myself in whale blue but changed my mind and went outside my budget after I played a CE. But I would still say to buy something that best fits your budget now (even though I didn't) and a few years down the road you may or may not want to upgrade. Yeah you may find you want to scratch that itch down the road and want a CE or a core model. Cross that bridge when (and if) you come to it.
I'm really starting to get cold feet about extending my budget now. It's looking like I'm going crackle S2 unless the 30th makes the S2 feel like a toy after I play both. As for upgrading, I'm already planning on changing out parts if I get the S2, at least the pickup rings to black.

Last edited:
The thing is that the neon pink of the crackle finish is an older dream still. Ten years ago, I tried to refinish a cheap Squier with neon spray paint and failed badly, debris kept getting in my finish.

Very true. Especially if they make an S2 baritone.

Edit to add:

I'm really starting to get cold feet about extending my budget now. It's looking like I'm going crackle S2 unless the 30th makes the S2 feel like a toy after I play both. As for upgrading, I'm already planning on changing out parts if I get the S2, at least the pickup rings to black.
I put wooden rings on my S2 custom 24. Done.

You're asking us to spend your money.

sergiodeblanc asked the best question. You really need to play these guitars! Even if you dont have one guitar store in your state; take a drive, take a train, or a flight to where PRS's are. Stay overnight if needed. Make an event of it.

Why others cant & shouldn't decide for you. We are different. You love the look of the 10 tops. I've grown bored of flame tops (yes seriously) so my advice would just steer you away from where you want to go. Me? I'd probably go the S2 route. It would be the right choice for me, but probably not you.

Back