Korina wave!

Skeeter

So, without naming names, there's been a few Korina-based WL runs popping up. My take on it has been that it's a little more open, though sometimes harsher than mahogany.

What do you guys think?

Harsher? Interesting description. I like the term "Brasher" better. Maybe more "Raw". To me, "Harsh" is like an Ice Pick Tele. That's the trouble with describing sound, innit? ;)

I have one of the limited McCarty Korinas, w/the BRW boards and old birds. Thru my Fender '65 DRRI, I hear Leslie West, "Mississippi Queen"...

Jamie

Harsher? Interesting description. I like the term "Brasher" better. Maybe more "Raw". To me, "Harsh" is like an Ice Pick Tele. That's the trouble with describing sound, innit? ;)

You bet. How about "more prominent upper midrange with a little less fullness in the low mids?"

That way you don't have to get into metaphors, analogies, etc, at all, you're just describing its frequency response.

You bet. How about "more prominent upper midrange with a little less fullness in the low mids?"

That way you don't have to get into metaphors, analogies, etc, at all, you're just describing its frequency response.

Yea I think that is an apt description, it has a certain brashness.

You know it's funny - everyone's perceptions of what "mids" are and where upper and lower start and end - are so subjective, especially since electric guitars are "mid" instruments by nature..

But, I bet Les with his studio gear could give some actual frequency readings from different guitar woods, etc.. of course every guitar is different, but I have seen this done and it's interesting to see what we "think" we're hearing and what is actually there. I imagine you real, pro studio guys deal with this all the time when mixing...

Last edited:

I have one of the limited McCarty Korinas, w/the BRW boards and old birds. Thru my Fender '65 DRRI, I hear Leslie West, "Mississippi Queen"...

Jamie

I have one as well with 57/08's. It is so different from anything in my stable, that's what I like.

You know it's funny - everyone's perceptions of what "mids" are and where upper and lower start and end - are so subjective, especially since electric guitars are "mid" instruments by nature.

No need to guess. It's only subjective until you have an understanding of what the terms actually mean in real numbers.

Here are the frequency ranges of each octave, and these categorizations are generally accepted.

There are ten octaves, and they are divided as follows:

Low Bass:

Octave 1.) 20-40hz - Octave 2.) 80hz

Mid Bass: Open Low E on a guitar tuned to concert pitch is
82.41 Hz, and falls into this range.

Octave 3.) 160hz - Octave
4.) 320hz

Lower Mids 320 Hz to 640 Hz. Open High E on a guitar tuned to concert pitch is
329.63 Hz, and falls into this range.

Midrange:

Octave 5.) 640hz - Octave 6.) 1,280hz

Upper Midrange to Low Treble:

Octave 7.) 2,560hz - Octave 8.) 5,120hz

High Frequencies start at 5120 Hz to 10,240 Hz.

High Treble:

Octave 9.) 10,240hz - Octave 10.) 20,480hz

This should help give you a pitch reference of a guitar tuned to concert pitch. Obviously, as you go up on a string, the pitch gets higher, and the frequency increases.

As you can see, there is a good amount of midbass and lower midrange energy in a guitar at concert pitch. However, the instrument can quickly move into the midrange and upper midrange, and with harmonic content, there's a fair amount of lower treble happening. The frequency balance of the instrument itself in terms of harmonic content and emphasis on certain frequencies depending on woods, design, electronics, etc., is what makes guitars sound different from one another.

Of course, if the guitar is more prominent in the mids and upper mids, and you're not hearing enough of a balanced low end, it comes off as spiky, shrill, or bright, and if you're hearing more of the midbass and lower mid tones, it comes off as dark, warm, or even sweet. It's all about perceived balance of the frequency range. Obviously the dark guitar is reproducing the same low E frequency as the bright guitar, it's about the balance, the overtones, the resonance, etc.

A guitar speaker isn't capable of much high treble, since most have an upper limit of around 5000 Hz, and that's where the fun pretty much ends. On the low end, you're into Octave 2 before you get to the low E.

Last edited:
I have played a few Korina guitars I really liked. Most of them were Korina body and neck, Maple top and Ebony board. Great combo.

Back