Korina Mahogany?

P90s

Anyone have opinions on whether Korina has an appreciable impact on tone compared to standard mahogany? If you've played a mahogany version of a 594, would there much variation in a 594 with korina?

I've wondered this also. Look forward to answers. I have only heard good things about korina but I'd love more info.

Korina gives a sweet mid-rangy tone to the guitar. Black limba (another type of korina) gives a bit of a darker tone. My favorite sounding guitar was a hog back, korina neck, Brazilian fretboard DGT. I wish I had kept it. I am thinking of doing a private stock order which will be a 594 DGT with that same wood combo. I also had a full korina , Brazilian fretfretboard p90 McCarty and it just ripped. Anyway, korina rocks.

So, I've got a couple that fit into this. The KL-33 is an all Korina Santana shape, and the PS has a black limbs body with a maple top and maple neck. I'll compare to a regular Santana. The PS is a touch darker, but the maple neck and board minimze the darkness. It's different enough to notice, but not much. The KL-33 (all Korina) is just raunchy, in a good way. I'm not good with descriptions with regard to tone. You now, mid heavy, pronounced lows, singing high end, etc. If I was going to a smokey joint with a rock-n-roll crowd, like in Roadhouse, I'd bring the Korina. It just fits.

My Carvin 7 string is a black limba back and black and white limba neck. I agree with sloanthebone with respects to the tone. I generally use that guitar for Dream Theater type stuff, and the entire package works pretty well. Lovely punch in the mid range, but not too bright tone that makes cleans quite nice and even across the range of the instrument, and is fairly responsive with distorted tones. Obviously the pickups play a part in that as well, but as a tone wood, I'm glad I went that route. Plus the black limba looks incredible.

My only Korina PRSi is my McCarty Soapy Brazzy Korina. It sounds different from other guitars, nice and raunchy, punchy, as the others have said, but a lot of that is undoubtedly the soapbar pups.

I would be very surprised if there were any appreciable difference in tone between black limba and white limba (korina). They're the exact same species, just with different coloration.

A couple of my favorite guitars have both korina (chambered) bodies and necks. One with an ebony board (longer scale), one with BRW (shorter scale). Both with relatively lower turn pickups. With two custom orders buns in the oven, they will both be variations on that theme, with a longer scale. I'd love to try it on a 594.......Maybe one day I will revert to the shorter scale. ;)

how would a korina neck stack up with a mahogany neck? Is it more fragile, how would it affect tone and playability?

Some of the best Gibsons were Korina ( Flying Vs )
The whole KL line of PRS was solid Korina ( nothing fragile about them ) its not a highly figured wood but I like the look :)

I dig the look and I dig how light (weight) it is. I've heard its an excellent tonewood. I'd love to get my hands on a korina McCarty to try it out. @Rider1260 i feel like I haven't seen you in a while, maybe I just haven't noticed

FWIW, I have a pair of custom orders in the queue. Both will have korina for the body and neck, as well as an ebony board......With a few other niceties. I am a believer!

At some point, if I find that combination in a 594, chambered and a few other things, I will be a goner.

I dig the look and I dig how light (weight) it is. I've heard its an excellent tonewood. I'd love to get my hands on a korina McCarty to try it out. @Rider1260 i feel like I haven't seen you in a while, maybe I just haven't noticed

Oh I always lurk around
I've got some things coming soon :)

Hi P90s, I have tried both the mahogany body and korina body both topped with flame maple.
The mahogany was darker, but to be fair it also had a solid rosewood neck and fretboard.
and the korina had a korina neck with a zircote fretboard It to my ears is fuller toned with more highs.
I ended up buying the korina and I am totally in love. Tone is a very personal thing all of us have a
sound in our heads that we are constantly searching for or perfecting. In search of the lost chord. So true.

I've got a Korina SE Orianthi with a flame maple top, maple neck, ebony fretboard.
Guitar rocks... but I'm running custom Pure Wound hand wound pickups from www.zhangbucker.com in that one.

Just gigged my new axe Friday night: Wood Library Artist McCarty 594 with Korina back and neck, quilted maple top, and cocobolo fretboard.
Pickups and everything are stock on it. Oh my Lord!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the raunchy vintage vibe of the new baby!!!!

24294224_10210689467856863_2380158928487194267_n.jpg

16388187_10210689468856888_9080818102849128227_n.jpg

24301438_10210689469856913_6502066545495155673_n.jpg

I've got a Korina SE Orianthi with a flame maple top, maple neck, ebony fretboard.
Guitar rocks... but I'm running custom Pure Wound hand wound pickups from www.zhangbucker.com in that one.

Just gigged my new axe Friday night: Wood Library Artist McCarty 594 with Korina back and neck, quilted maple top, and cocobolo fretboard.
Pickups and everything are stock on it. Oh my Lord!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the raunchy vintage vibe of the new baby!!!!

24294224_10210689467856863_2380158928487194267_n.jpg

16388187_10210689468856888_9080818102849128227_n.jpg

24301438_10210689469856913_6502066545495155673_n.jpg
Wow!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Back