Korina body tone?

rickcard71

Any input would be appreciated. What are the differences compared to mahogany? I had one PRS with korina, but didn't own it long or play it enough through an amp. I had the Tremonti SC245 version. I really don't know why they were called Tremontis, I guess because of the trem, still doesn't make sense.

Korina can vary as much from one guitar to another as mahogany can. In broad terms it tends to be a bit snappier, generally with some extra snarl in the upper mids. Sometimes a little lighter in weight, but not always. It's similarly lively though; like mahogany it has a slightly elastic feel compared to maple. Less hard and less bright than maple for the most part. IME it often comes alive very nicely at volume.

I love korina guitars. My only korina PRS is a sweet '07 McCarty Brazilian. I also have four other korinas though: a Moderne, two Explorers, and a Firebird.

eclectic has it spot on, I have a reverend guitar with the Korina body. maple neck. ever so slightly brighter and crisper than mahogany body,
I would say that it's probably maybe even superior to mahogany body, but again the variability from sample to sample because it is so subtle may not even be noticed. the neck wood may have more importance to the tone.
in a blind test you might not actually hear it except when you're actually the one playing the guitar, you notice just a little more clear string attack.
are you going to specifically go for one, or are you looking at a specific guitar that might have korina that's a good value, I would say have no fear I don't think you can go wrong with it.

eclectic has it spot on, I have a reverend guitar with the Korina body. maple neck. ever so slightly brighter and crisper than mahogany body,
I would say that it's probably maybe even superior to mahogany body, but again the variability from sample to sample because it is so subtle may not even be noticed. the neck wood may have more importance to the tone.
in a blind test you might not actually hear it except when you're actually the one playing the guitar, you notice just a little more clear string attack.
are you going to specifically go for one, or are you looking at a specific guitar that might have korina that's a good value, I would say have no fear I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Thank you guys. No, I am spec'ing a PS.

I should add that when I mentioned the slightly elastic feel, I really was thinking more about korina necks, rather than bodies. But IMO it definitely tends to make for liveliness in a body too.

Back