Korean Line Worth the Money?

slinky005

I am considering getting a PRS but don't have a huge budget. I own a Les Paul, Strat, and Tele so I'm looking for something else to compliment the collection.
Tried a Korean made one briefly and thought it was pretty good. Never tried and american to compare. Would you compare it to a MIM Strat vs and American? Or Epiphone vs a Gibson?
Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

The comparison is more similar to an Epiphone vs a Gibson as the SE PRS guitars use local woods etc to Korea. I've owned an SE Custom 24 and it was a great guitar for the money. Given the market at the moment though, and depending on your budget, you may be able to score a used USA PRS for a price not too much more than a new SE.

Absolutely they are worth the money.
I have two PRS SE guitars as seen in the 2nd link in my sig.
The one to the far right is my son's.

I also have a new 2012 Gibson SG '61 Reissue that I paid over $2K for, and I would put my two SE ones up against it anytime as far as sound, quality, and playability go.

I guess you could compare it as Epi vs Gibson, etc., but if you're on a budget I would also say that just like PRS is top of the line for USA made guitars, so are the SE's for imports... the quality of the SE's is far above an Epiphone or MIM strat. There are a lot of SE models though, try as many as you can!

If you ever hear a PRS player snob an SE, you can just about bet the farm that he/she has never played one.

I'm sure there are exceptions, of course. But not many.

SE's are way worth the money. Their quality and playability is top among any other Import line.
I have 3 US PRSs that are great but I was able to setup my SE perfectly to US specs! Action super low and awesome playability, so now I use it just as the others.

I was never able to set the action this low with my two other Ephiphones. They would buzz all over and never intonnate correctly.

The 2012 models look good too and getting closer to an US model look. An used US model is also a great buy depending on your budget.

I am considering getting a PRS but don't have a huge budget. I own a Les Paul, Strat, and Tele so I'm looking for something else to compliment the collection.
Tried a Korean made one briefly and thought it was pretty good. Never tried and american to compare. Would you compare it to a MIM Strat vs and American? Or Epiphone vs a Gibson?

The PRS SE's are worth every penny IMHO!

When I was looking for a twin humbucking guitar late last year I had no brand or model in mind. I had a set budget that I couldn't go past and I knew it had to be twin humbucking. Beyond that anything went. I won't bore you with the whole story but after a false start (Got my fingers seriously burned by another manufacturer) I wound up with the Bernie Marsden which I love to bits!

I tried a lot of other guitars from different manufacturers and I can tell you that no Epi I tried came close. It seemed more on a par with the Gibson Studios which where significantly more expensive! Admittedly this is based on a small sample of guitars but the Epi's didn't compare (They were't the cheapest Epi's either). That's not to say the Epi's I tried where bad guitars, they weren't. But the SE Bernie just seemed better constructed with a perfect setup.

I'll be honest and say I have a MIM Strat which I love as well. A good guitar but it's too different to compare to the SE I feel.

For me, one of the big differences between the SE's and other guitars in the mid priced bracket is that PRS focus on building a solid guitar first whereas others make it look all nice and pretty and put 'big name' hardware on there. But at the price point they are, corners have to be cut. The SE's are incredibly well built guitars with good hardware stock that you can upgrade as time goes by and your budget allows. Some other manufacturers cut corners on the build quality which can wind up costing you a small fortune to put right!!! What use is big name pups on a guitar that has sky high action and poor fretwork?

I'm not a big fan of buying guitars online - regardless of name or cost. However i'd sleep a lot easier knowing i'd ordered an SE than other makes. Solid guitars, well built, sound great, play great and a perfect vehicle for upgrades as and when you wish - If you feel you need to at all!

As always, it's best to get down to a shop and try as many as you can to see which one speaks to you.

There's a demo of the Bernie Marsden in my Y'tube link if you're interested. I've also owned an SE Soapbar Maple II with P90's which I loved and have played the SE 245 and Custom 24. Pretty much all faultless guitars. Just wound up with the one that felt right for me.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
If you are 40+ years of age, you remember the days when there weren't reasonably build and playable low-budget guitars. There were, Kay/Hondo/Harmony/Silvertone etc. Crap. Hell, I just insulted turds. But when I bought my son his first guitar many years ago - an Epi SG - even at $200 it was 1000x better than what we had as kids. In comparison, the SE models we have are better than my first Les Paul in tone, playabiity, and workmanship out of the box. The SE245 is simply awesome. My SE One gets gigged every weekend right next to my Cu24 and I can't be happier. IMO, the SE line is the best value in guitars today.

I have been playing my SE as much or more than my PRS, Gibson, Fender, and Guild guitars.

When I had the opportunity to start playing again, I definitely sought out PRS. Not knowing a lot about their SE line, I gave it a try and have not looked back. I could afford a Maryland USA made if I wanted to have one, but since I am not a professional musician of any kind or even a great guitarist it is not logical or practical to have one. I play just for fun and for myself.
As mentioned in the previous posts, the build quality is just awesome. It is a better trade off to get a quality guitar than to get name brand hardware, and that is apparent when you play similar priced guitars from other brands. I simple chose to just upgrade my tuners, nuts & pickups, but depending on your taste you really don't have too. I had my SE guitars for a long time before I decided to modify them. Even now when I go to store and check out brands that I can buy, I never do because there is nothing better than the SE guitars I have and I am already satisfied with that. I just go looking around for used SE guitars instead and if it is a bargain then I am getting it.
I think that a lot of people get too wrapped up about where a guitar or any music product is made, I say get over it-we all live on the same planet! Of course Maryland made is to die for, but 80% of it is in your fingers on the fretboard. I am just fed up with those "purists" that think the most expensive thing you can buy is the only thing worth having. Definitely a bunch of snobs.
Well I am just happy with my SE guitars and I am looking forward to getting a SE Angelus & SE Custom 24-7 string when they become available.
The SE line is a great product and 100% worth the money, especially if you have a budget. I wish I had these guitars many years ago when I was playing in high school.

Last edited:
The PRS SE's are worth every penny IMHO!

When I was looking for a twin humbucking guitar late last year I had no brand or model in mind. I had a set budget that I couldn't go past and I knew it had to be twin humbucking. Beyond that anything went. I won't bore you with the whole story but after a false start (Got my fingers seriously burned by another manufacturer) I wound up with the Bernie Marsden which I love to bits!

I tried a lot of other guitars from different manufacturers and I can tell you that no Epi I tried came close. It seemed more on a par with the Gibson Studios which where significantly more expensive! Admittedly this is based on a small sample of guitars but the Epi's didn't compare (They were't the cheapest Epi's either). That's not to say the Epi's I tried where bad guitars, they weren't. But the SE Bernie just seemed better constructed with a perfect setup.

I'll be honest and say I have a MIM Strat which I love as well. A good guitar but it's too different to compare to the SE I feel.

For me, one of the big differences between the SE's and other guitars in the mid priced bracket is that PRS focus on building a solid guitar first whereas others make it look all nice and pretty and put 'big name' hardware on there. But at the price point they are, corners have to be cut. The SE's are incredibly well built guitars with good hardware stock that you can upgrade as time goes by and your budget allows. Some other manufacturers cut corners on the build quality which can wind up costing you a small fortune to put right!!! What use is big name pups on a guitar that has sky high action and poor fretwork?

I'm not a big fan of buying guitars online - regardless of name or cost. However i'd sleep a lot easier knowing i'd ordered an SE than other makes. Solid guitars, well built, sound great, play great and a perfect vehicle for upgrades as and when you wish - If you feel you need to at all!

As always, it's best to get down to a shop and try as many as you can to see which one speaks to you.

There's a demo of the Bernie Marsden in my Y'tube link if you're interested. I've also owned an SE Soapbar Maple II with P90's which I loved and have played the SE 245 and Custom 24. Pretty much all faultless guitars. Just wound up with the one that felt right for me.

Best of luck.

I have to agree with everything Mike says... I too have a MIM strat, which I love, but PRS puts so much into the SE's, they're worth well more than you pay. And take it from Hans, a guy that has one of the most bad-ass American PRS collections you'll ever see, these SE guitars are made to perform.

They are really worth the money. I have two SEs, a SE Custom 24 and a SE Custom Semi-hollow. The quality is very good and I'm really happy with both of them. I may change the pickups at some point but that's all I'd change.

I'm planning on getting a US made guitar but I'll keep and keep playing my SEs.

The only thing I have changed out on all of the SE guitars including my son's (and my Gibson SG) was the stock tuners for some Planet Waves Autotrim tuners and Schaller Strap Locks.
The SEs seem to be holding in tune very well with the stock nut, and I think the Zebra pickups are fairly nice too.
They are not as quiet as the 57 PAFS in my Gibson SG though, a little hum comes from them, but not bad.

I bought a SE SingleCut SoapBar when they first came out. I bought it to be a "house guitar", that my middle daughter's band friends could play, so I wouldn't have to kill them if they dared touch my good stuff!

Turns out it was an exceptional guitar that absolutely killed thru my Fender '65 DRRI! The fit and finish was top notch and it intonated and played great!

The only reason I sold it was I bought a McKorina SoapBar that was just that much better. Plus, my daughter's friends all graduated HS and I no longer have "those boys" hanging around the house...

Jamie

Last edited:
I bought a SE SingleCut SoapBar when they first came out. I bout it to be a "house guitar", that my middle daughter's band friends could play, so I wouldn't have to kill them if they dared touch my good stuff!

Turns out it was an exceptional guitar that absolutely killed thru my Fender '65 DRRI! The fit and finish was top notch and it intonatd and played great!

The only reason I sold it was I bought a McKorina SoapBar that was just that much better. Plus, my daughter's friends all graduated HS and I no longer have "those boys" hanging around the house...

Jamie

I also have a SE SC Soapbar, a McKorina Soapbar and a DRRI. You're right...something about that combination is perfect.

I've been planning on picking up a SE One because I like my other SE so much.

Thanks alot guys, definitely sounds like they worth checking out. Out of curiosity, how do the p-ups compare between the American and Korean?

Thanks alot guys, definitely sounds like they worth checking out. Out of curiosity, how do the p-ups compare between the American and Korean?

Someone better informed will be able to do a better comparison between the pups. What I can say is that the pups used in the SE line are built to a cost (Daft thing to say given everythiong is built to a cost! :rolleyes:) so they're not going to be of the same high quality as the US PRS pups or many of the aftermarket ones you can buy.

That said, I feel the SE 245 pickups used in some of the guitars are actually very good pickups. I did like the neck one in my Bernie and I was going to keep it in there and swap the bridge but decided to try out a set of Bare Knuckles and decided I liked the neck BK Mule - If not quite the bridge.

I've still got the SE 245 pups in a drawer and I won't hesitate to use them again if I can.

It's worth saying that my decision to swap the pups had absolutely nothing to do with perceived quality but more to do with a certain tone I wanted - and partly aesthetics. Changing the pups gave me the opportunity to get a good look at the guts of the guitar and I can tell you that attention to detail and quality of craftmanship goes right into the parts you don't normally see!

If you find an SE you like the look and feel of but aren't quite certain about the tone just remember you can easily swap out the pups down the line. The guitars are of such high quality you feel reassured that it's worthwhile investing in any mods.

Out of curiosity... What are the guitars you've got now? I know you said LP, Strat and Tele but are they Epis, MIM's, Squiers or US? Are you looking for something different from them in terms of tone and looks or an upgrade in quality?

My Paul is the Gary Moore model (Limited Edition); Strat is 1977 (American) modded the p-ups to Seymour Duncans; Tele (American) I bought this year and has extremely great tone. And lastly I have a Hamer Steve Stevens model.
My reason actually for the interest in PRS is because I bought another Strat a few months ago (American 2011) but I'm really not impressed with the sound so the store will take it back and credit me full price ($1000). With that grand I'm looking to diversify my collection. In my limited knowledge of PRS I assume with the SE at around $650 , there's nothing else after that unless I pay a minimun of $2000 for an American. Am I misinformed?

Last edited:
The Mira and Starla models tend to run less than $2000 but more than $1000. Guitar Center actually have some for about $1200 right now. The DC3 and NF3 might also run under 2k.

... Would you compare it to a MIM Strat vs and American? Or Epiphone vs a Gibson?

No, having owned one I would call the SE its own line with FANTASTIC pricing. I owned the SE Semi-hollow, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend trying that model. You can't beat the price for the sound and feel you get; if you want to change a pickup or both pickups you'll STILL come out ahead in pricing. Also recommend trying the SE Korina Singlecut. Just sayin' :/

Back