Knife edge tremolo problem.

Dave Powers

I have an SE custom 24 with the tremolo bridge. I have had tuning issues since I bought it used and someone had clearly tried to adjust the 6 bridge screws. I have adjusted the screws according to instructions, with some luck, but I noticed something. The outer two screws aren’t on-center to the holes in the bridge. They both are off maybe 1/16” towards the outside. The others are on center. There is some wear on the outside edge of the two outer holes that maybe suggest a problem?

I have a solution I don’t like, but it worked. I removed the outer two screws and it stays in tune. I can’t yet post a picture cuz I’m a newbie here. It doesn’t seem right, but the wear on the outer holes of the bridge seems to prove that the holes in the wood are off.
I have an SE custom 24 with the tremolo bridge. I have had tuning issues since I bought it used and someone had clearly tried to adjust the 6 bridge screws. I have adjusted the screws according to instructions, with some luck, but I noticed something. The outer two screws aren’t on-center to the holes in the bridge. They both are off maybe 1/16” towards the outside. The others are on center. There is some wear on the outside edge of the two outer holes that maybe suggest a problem?

If I'm not mistaken the 6 holes are drilled with a CNC machine so if they are indeed off center, they must of screwed up the program running for that guitar. That is possible but would be rare. If you're good with wood you can fill the holes and re-drill them on center. If not, I would say running with 4 screws is a reasonable alternative.

If you don't use the trem, you could tighten it down to the wood and use it as a fixed bridge, but I think it will work forever on 4.

Yeah it seemed very surprising to me but the wear marks tell the story. I played for a while last night and it stayed in tune. I thought about redrilling the holes, but even with my drill press I’m concerned it could still be off. Thanks for the response.
If I'm not mistaken the 6 holes are drilled with a

Back