Kinda Drunk ... Random Thoughts

IKnowALittle

Well, we gigged tonite like every weekend. normally, i don't drink, but tonite, just felt like it, and someone else was buyin'. could have ordered whatever i wanted, regardless of price, but i still just drank beer. i'm a very limited person :). also, had a few tokes, which i very, very seldom do, so i'm well light.

this is not autobiographical, but, is like, the reason i don't drink very often.

favourite artist.

i've had the honour of meeting emmylou a couple of times. not only is she the most beautiful woman i've ever laid my eyes on, she has this unique charisma that has to be experienced to be understood.

most personally significant song.

in 1987, when i was 17, i was arrogant and pretty full of myself, as many 17 year old guys are.
i had been playing guitar since i was 13. my dad was a professional guitarist.
guess i was being rather insufferable one day, and called me out, gave me an album, said ... "learn this, then come back and talk to me." kinda shocked me since my dad was always so cool. guess i touched a nerve. now when i say album, it was an actual vinyl album. i transferred over to a cassette to make it a little easier to playback. this was long before the internet and digital music.
anywho, i did learn it , took me six months, then my dad showed me how to play it properly. well worth it. pretty much every harmonica and guitar blues lick in one convenient song. tough to beat.

totally sober, random replies.

Video 1 - which guy are you?
ELH- totally not my kind of music. My wife is a big fan though, so I've seen CDs at the house, and seen her often on TV when my wife was watching, etc. Very pretty woman. I remember the first time I saw her after her hair had gone totally gray, and thought "yeah, she's getting older." Then they showed a closeup and I said "wow, she's still beautiful." I think 20 years later, still was saying the same thing.

Might have more comments after I make sure which guy you are in the vid. :)

You’ve been banned?

MEGADETH based screen name AND banned? You’re my forum idol! (Sorry Les).

Yes, the gracious moderator in his great example of kindness and mercy had once suspended me for only two weeks because I was being bad. :)
Maybe I should get one of those daily clock counters under my avatar (like the safety counter they have in factories) which says "It's been [__] many days since HANGAR18 has been suspended." hahahaha

totally sober, random replies.

Video 1 - which guy are you?
. :)

God I hope he's the guy playing the Tele......Angus Young would be proud on his style points.....also how many people are in the band? You would need a payroll department to split the gig money up....

I realized a long time ago that there aren't any answers at the bottom of the glass.
But, every once in a while it's fun to pretend there is, and then pay for it for three days afterward.

I love how Mary Travers looks back in the day.
Dylan was kinda a social genius in the early sixties ... unfortunatly, nothing much has changed.

Mary Travers was a class act. Great singer! Aged pretty well I thought. I always found her intriguing. Looked kinda hard, but was a good person from what I gather.

I like Phil Ochs better’n Dylan, but of course Dylan is still at it.

Mary Travers was a class act. Great singer! Aged pretty well I thought. I always found her intriguing. Looked kinda hard, but was a good person from what I gather.

I like Phil Ochs better’n Dylan, but of course Dylan is still at it.

the problem is that people judge the music, mostly in a negative way, because it isn't cool, and never really listen to the lyrics.
i get that, but it's kinda sad. listen to this song, "times they are a changin'". man, really prescient and totally apply to today.
if they where written and performed in whatever style is popular today, the artist would be heralded.

i always thought dylan was much more perceptive of the future, while ochs was much more topical.
songs like "there but for fortune," "i ain't marchin' anymore, " where spot on for the times from a certain point of view.
of course, ochs was mentally unstable (but incredibly cool) and committed suicide in 1976 (i think).

there where others ... tom paxton, doc watson, dave van ronk.
if you get into guitar there was bert jancsh, john renbourn, peter finger, davey graham, stephan grossman, and the "best" and weirdest ... john fahey.

i love the videos from the sixties. they look like a transmission from an alien species, like a 100 billion light years away.
that's pretty far considering a light year is ~7 trillion miles.

Last edited:
I was a teenager during The Great Folk Scare of the ‘60’s.
We all fingerpicked whiney folk songs until the day Paul Butterfield came to town...

Reactions: jxe
Back