Kill pot?

Nick Robinson

I'd like to add a kill pot to my PRS S2 custom. The tone pot doubles as a coil tap, but am I able to easily replace the volume pot with a kill pot? 500K?

An alternative would be to drill a small button hole to the left of the volume (I'm assuming there's a cavity!) to short it out - I did this to my strat....

It would have to be a dedicated (ie momentary) kill...

Ah, that's different.

No-holes solutions:
  • Maybe a push/push pot would be okay?
  • A no-load pot? But that would possibly get annoying since you'd get the kill any time the pot is all the way up.
  • Get a four-way blade switch and wire up position 4 to kill?
  • Concentric volume/tone where the volume is now, and use the tone hole for a momentary switch? But alas, no coil splitting unless you also dive into a 5-way super switch.
  • If you don't use the tone control, move the push/pull to volume and put a momentary switch where the tone control was.
Otherwise, you're whackin' a hole in it somewhere...

I'd like to add a kill pot to my PRS S2 custom. The tone pot doubles as a coil tap, but am I able to easily replace the volume pot with a kill pot? 500K?

An alternative would be to drill a small button hole to the left of the volume (I'm assuming there's a cavity!) to short it out - I did this to my strat....

I like your idea of a kill pot to replace the volume pot. No drilling, maybe a little reaming. You can even keep the coil split tone pot. The measurements are on the site, check for fit, hole size, depth of cavity, existing shaft size to see if your existing knobs will fit, etc.

https://shadowelectronics.com/products/sh-124?variant=39228634054

I like your idea of a kill pot to replace the volume pot. No drilling, maybe a little reaming. You can even keep the coil split tone pot. The measurements are on the site, check for fit, hole size, depth of cavity, existing shaft size to see if your existing knobs will fit, etc.

https://shadowelectronics.com/products/sh-124?variant=39228634054

Oooooh, that's cool. Did not know such a thing existed. You win the thread.

But, apparently it also makes your guitar shoot magic lightning, so watch your fingers.
Shadow-part-124-effect.jpg

If you are working with a reduced control set (V-T-toggle), I'd set your toggle for whatever pickup combo you use all the time (like bridge or maybe middle), 'store' it in the control cavity and install your Buckethead stutter switch in the prior toggle switch hole. That way you can reverse things later if you want. People say the will always have a guitar and then a year later something catches their fancy and they want to sell the old one and with extra holes you take a big hit on the price.

Back