Kfir Ochaion

Mom #1

I found this guy that does electric fuitar covers. I don't think he has a prs but I had a question. Could a prs achieve a sound like this? Also I just wanted to share his amaxing talent : ) Sorry I'm a newbie.

Newbies are ok in my book. You gotta start somewhere and starting with a PRS is pretty smart.

To your question (can a PRS achieve a sound like that). The short answer is "yes".

The long answer takes a little more explanation. Let's first talk about what is going on in the video. There isn't just one sound there, or maybe better put, there are more than one guitar making the sounds you hear. Can you hear a difference in the tone from each of the guitars being used? Many of those new to guitar cannot. Many of us not so new to guitar probably cannot either because there is more going on here than just what the guitar is doing. His signal is highly processed. He's got pedals he is using to get that sound, and the pedals are masking the subtle differences in guitar tone. So your questions probably has more to do with the amp and pedals he is using than brand of guitar.

Still, you see in the video that he plays two different Strats and two different Les Pauls. Each one of those guitars will have a somewhat different tone. If you don't hear much of a difference in tone when he shows a different guitar in the video then his tone has more to do with the amp and pedals than with the guitar (assuming the audio comes from the guitar in the video). As evidenced by his use of 4 guitars, most any guitar will get the tone he is using if you process it through a similar signal chain. The tubes and lights on the amps in the video do not appear to be on, and the cable to the guitar is different from the cable into the amps, so I'm going to guess that he is getting his tone from a modeling software.

So, what PRS will do that? Many models, but a Custon 22 or Custom 24 can get you both a Strat tone and a Les Paul tone (The new S2 Singlecuts will do that as well). Pretty much any model that will do coil splits can get both Strat and les Paul type tones. Then you have to get an amp and pedal tone like the video.

If newbie means you are new to guitar then that is different than new to PRS. Not knowing which you are speaking about, I'll just say that you can certainly get those tones with a PRS but you will need processing after the guitar to get there. If you are new to guitar, then we should also talk about what level of guitar you should jump in with (SE, S2 or core model).

I've been a follower of this guy for a long time. It's usually a Strat of some sort. All of them appear to be relic'd and all sound very very nice. Now, in defense it very well could be his amps and or recording software. However he plays very well and does at least one song a week.

Can you hear a difference in the tone from each of the guitars being used? Many of those new to guitar cannot.
Exactly. It definitely depends on your definition of "like". If someone were to play a sampled distorted guitar on a keyboard, they used to think that would qualify as "like", but nowadays they'd just laugh at how awful and cheesy and...not "like" it was.

That said, you can do a lot with PRS guitars. I have yet to find a limitation.

And yeah, he's pretty good, I like his ear for "tasty" playing. Much prefer something like this to all the play-as-many-notes-as-fast-as-you-can videos. Thanks for sharing!

I don't think getting that tone, or better, would be a problem with a PRS. I'm mostly hearing distortion pedal in that video.

Back